FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New ranks - The Poll

rvec
Votes aren't counted, winners are already made public (see end of topic)

There'll be one or two new ranks which will be raplacing the frihost freak rank. If you want to choose which ranks this will be you can vote here:
http://rvec.frih.net/dislike.php (to vote for 2 ranks you really don't like)
http://rvec.frih.net/dislike.phps (the code of the above)
http://rvec.frih.net/frihost.php (to vote for 2 ranks you really like)
http://rvec.frih.net/frihost.phps (the code for the above)

The scripts are made by me, so there can be some small bugs. If you find them please post here or pm me as soon as possible with as much information as possible (what you did, the url, screenshot maybe, error message).

For more information you can look at these thread, but besides the above there's not really much to know.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-107953.html
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-109737.html

And the current scores:
http://rvec.frih.net/stats.php
Vrythramax
Thank you rvec Applause Cool
deanhills
Vrythramax wrote:
Thank you rvec Applause Cool
Ditto, thanks rvec! Applause

Rvec, the site with the polls must be down, and when I checked the Frihost Support Forum I noticed a few Frihosters complaining about their sites being down too. Last night I could not post either as I could not access the Frihost Forum.

So regrettably I could not access the Web pages with your hard work. Hopefully we can do so later when Frihost is all fixed up again.
deanhills
Thanks rvec. I managed to get into your Website easy tonight, however Frihost was quite a challenge. It was down for a long while, and then when I finally could get in, it is very slow, and times out from time to time, and I have been kicked out once too Smile

I have done the voting, however find that the list is much too long. This is a suggestion, possibly others may be able to comment as well. Is it possible to make the voting for 15 names that we like and 15 names that we dislike instead of only 2? Then to have a second voting afterwards for a shorter list of 15 names and a choice of 2 that we like and 2 we don't like out of the 15 names? I think we need to have a "thin-out" of the large list first.
polly-gone
hehe. rvec, those scripts look like a phishing site almost.

"Come on in kiddies, if you want to vote, enter your Frihost username and password! I promise I won't steal them!"

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
rvec
polly-gone wrote:
hehe. rvec, those scripts look like a phishing site almost.

"Come on in kiddies, if you want to vote, enter your Frihost username and password! I promise I won't steal them!"

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
Yeah that's what I thought too, and the only thing that makes me think people will actually fill it in is because I am a mod. I thought about letting an admin or even bondings take a look at the script (via directadmin, so they can look at the actual script), but that wouldn't be enough proof to me (if someone else would do the same) because with forwarding in directadmin, forwarding with .htaccess or other things like those I could get the login details and any admin would have a hard time finding it.

I guess the only thing I can say is; I'm a mod, trust me Smile
polly-gone
I trust you JUST ENOUGH to log into those scripts. But if I find posts on my account that I didn't make, rvec, I am going to hunt you down.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
AftershockVibe
Of course, no-one would be silly enough to re-use a password for a pretty insecure (MD5 hashes, deprecated software) PHPBB2 forum on anything else would they? Would they. Mad

Wink
polly-gone
I meant it looks like he is fishing for Frihost platforms. haha

-Nick SmileSmileSmile
deanhills
rvec wrote:
I guess the only thing I can say is; I'm a mod, trust me Smile
Definitely. Also nice we have a mod in our corner, we seem to be needing all the help we can get. I'm still hoping that Bondings will take a look at our list and choose the two names that most appeal to him in a few seconds flat and save us from all of these extra steps. I really feel quite passionate about not becoming a "freak" and the slow pace we have been moving just about guarantees it from happening, unless a miracle should occur and Bondings just take charge and choose two names he likes out of the very deep hat of names. Ghost_rider was going to help with the artwork and must have just about given up on it ever happening in the short term. I guess right now I've resorted to praying ... Pray
Ghost Rider103
I wouldn't be worried about a mod logging into my account. Theirs nothing really important on my Frihost account.

If at all Rvec ever did post something bad on someone's account, all the IP's are logged anyways, and would be very easy to tell. Though I really do doubt Rvec would do that anyways, as there wouldn't be much of a point, and plus I'm sure he would have better things to do.

It's not like my Frihost account has my bank account information on it.

Is their an official ending date or a number one of the ranks has to reach to until we are able to announce the official final ranks?

I think a date would be best, as we might set a number for the rank to get too, and we might not ever reach it.

September 11th, 2009 sound good, will that be enough time? It was just the first upcoming date that popped into my head that I know I'd remember.
deanhills
The sooner the better I would think. Have a feeling that unless there is some outside intervention, I'm heading straight for "freakdom" .... Shocked

Obviously we need someone to take charge, so since rvec has taken us under his wing, maybe he can decide a right date because he is the only one with access to the number and quality of votes on his Website. Since we trust him with our passwords, we can trust him with deciding when there is enough votes to make a meaningful conclusion. Then hopefully he can present it to Bondings on our behalf .... Pray Brick wall
rvec
depends on how many people vote
I'll put a link in my sig, maybe that'll help some more.
Blaster
I personally like the way that they are now but i made my two picks
sonam
Quote:
I wouldn't be worried about a mod logging into my account. Theirs nothing really important on my Frihost account.

Me too. If I see some stupid posts then I will change password. If some mod post good post for me who care, it is good. Razz

Sonam
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

September 11th, 2009 sound good, will that be enough time? It was just the first upcoming date that popped into my head that I know I'd remember.

Why that date?!

Two suggestions about the end date:
1: Don't pick one with such dark connotations.
2: Hopefully the poll will get to be a featured discussion, if so, an end time shouldn't be set until it is featured.
Ghost Rider103
ocalhoun wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Why that date?!

Two suggestions about the end date:
1: Don't pick one with such dark connotations.
2: Hopefully the poll will get to be a featured discussion, if so, an end time shouldn't be set until it is featured.

My reason why is now in bold. You quoted it yourself. Confused
deanhills
rvec wrote:

OK, I will put it in my sig too ...
Ghost Rider103
I really wish we could get this as a featured article so everyone would see it.

I'm ready to make the ranks as soon as the final results are set in stone.
william
Voted, although it did seem a bit..."phishy". Wink If you weren't a mod, I would think twice prior to voting. I'll add this to my signature, and it I agree that it really should be a featured discussion.
ocalhoun
Uh oh... The little pie charts have become overloaded; some of the results aren't even showing up anymore...

Add two simple tables to the results page?

Liked:
| Rank | Number of votes |
(sort by number of votes descending)

Disliked:
sonam
ocalhoun wrote:
Uh oh... The little pie charts have become overloaded; some of the results aren't even showing up anymore...

Add two simple tables to the results page?

Liked:

Disliked:

O am agree with ocalhoun. The tables are better solution then pie charts.
Roald
In the vote for 2 ranks you really like there is a small flaw: you can vote twice for the rank 'Master' and could you please alter the way the results are represented ocalhoun's suggestion was good.
truespeed
Why does the rank have to have the word frihost or frihoster in them at all?
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:
Why does the rank have to have the word frihost or frihoster in them at all?

Not all the suggested ranks do.

All the existing (non-staff) ones do though, so it probably should in order to remain consistent.
leondevil
thank you for the information
Crinoid
Voted for 2 of the acceptable ranks, both covering expert and master range. But they are not replacement for already existing, somewhat misleading ranks: Junior Frihoster (makes me think that conversation is with kindergarten age), Adolescent Frihoster (objectionable if you are 55 or 70 yrs old), Addicted Frihoster (if you proud of own healthy way of life and self-control).
Wink
deanhills
rvec wrote:
Looks as though we are on the roll now thanks rvec. I had a look at the current scores and some of the choices are starting to stand out quite well. Do you think we will need to have a second voting? Quite a few in the "liked category" seem to be neck on neck with one another? Or would Bondings be able to pick two from the results?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Or would Bondings be able to pick two from the results?

That's probably what will happen.

But, as the poll stays open longer, the winners will become more defined.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Or would Bondings be able to pick two from the results?

That's probably what will happen.

But, as the poll stays open longer, the winners will become more defined.
You're right, especially since there is such a long list too. I really like it though, nice to be able to click on a link and see the results.
indianinworld
Instead of giving a very long list and allowing two to select, Why don't we have a very few things which are good and attractive.

Just a suggesting again...

sorry for bothering u guyz Wink
ocalhoun
indianinworld wrote:
Instead of giving a very long list and allowing two to select, Why don't we have a very few things which are good and attractive.

Who decides which ones are good and attractive?
deanhills
indianinworld wrote:
Ocalhoun is right. We started by only including a few, but then discovered that there are many that have been submitted and that all of them should be included democratically.

I think it is working well thanks to rvec's design of the poll.
sonam
deanhills wrote:
indianinworld wrote:
Ocalhoun is right. We started by only including a few, but then discovered that there are many that have been submitted and that all of them should be included democratically.

I think it is working well thanks to rvec's design of the poll.

Maybe we can make sugestions for long list for some time e.g. one month. After that we can create short list from best placed and make new pool for find out the few best names.

Sonam
Ghost Rider103
What's wrong with the current poll? Making more polls would just delay the process, and next time we might not get as many votes, making the second poll inaccurate.

Everything is going just fine and by the looks of it we will definitely have new ranks soon. Let's not start to complicate the process.
sonam
Good point, maybe I am wrong and we don't need to complicate the process.

Sonam
Vrythramax
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
What's wrong with the current poll? Making more polls would just delay the process, and next time we might not get as many votes, making the second poll inaccurate.

Everything is going just fine and by the looks of it we will definitely have new ranks soon. Let's not start to complicate the process.

By adding this topic as a Featured Discussion the process should speed up considerably.

3 Cheers for the powers that be! Applause Applause Applause
deanhills
Are we ready yet for a selection? I would really like to miss out on the Frihost Freak rank. I can here "JAWS" music playing and sharks biting at my heels ..... Anxious
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Are we ready yet for a selection? I would really like to miss out on the Frihost Freak rank. I can here "JAWS" music playing and sharks biting at my heels ..... Anxious

I think you forget... even after a choice is made, the images will have to be designed.

Unless you start posting the minimum amount, you'll be sure to be a freak, if only for a little while...
>one of us.<
>one of us.<
>one of us.<
Twisted Evil
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:

>one of us.<
>one of us.<
>one of us.<
Twisted Evil
That sounds worth it. Think I've made my peace, it's inevitable now. Dancing Twisted Evil
Ghost Rider103
I'm ready to design them whenever the a staff member gives the final word.

From what I could see by looking at the source code (because I can't see them all on the image), we have Elite Frihoster (7 votes), and Frihost Sage (5 votes) as the two winners. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

As soon as I know this is for sure what we are going with, I'll get right to it.
Xelphir
Awesome!!
I'm gonna take a look at this right now!
deanhills
I am so hoping that a change can happen soon! Yeaks .... Frihost Freak, it is pinching badly! So much wish it can be changed. Pray Maybe one has to believe in it. So I will believe it will be changed soon, and hope Ghostrider will design a nice logo for it.

Looks as though we have three "liked ranks" that seem to have the majority votes at the moment:
Frihost Sage (5)
Frihost Guru (4)
Frihost Grand master (4)

The runners-up are also not too bad:
Frihost Knight (3)
Frihost Master (3)
Ghost Rider103
Yes, however you are forgetting that the image is too small to hold all the liked ranks.

Elite Frihoster takes the win with 7 votes. You can't see it on the image, however if you look at the source code of the page, you'll see that it is indeed there.

1. Elite FriHoster (7 votes)
2. Frihost Sage (5 votes)
ankitdatashn
Ohh, so the winning captions are already decided, guess I am late... Smile
rvec
-close-
Votes are counted and new votes won't make a difference.

There where a total of 62 votes of which 50 "likes" and 12 "dislikes".
25 users voted, and all of them made 2 or 4 votes.

Elite Frihoster(7) was the most liked rank, and Frihost Alien the most disliked (4).
The second most liked was Frihost Sage (5).

Since those two had 0 votes against them, the winning ranks are
Elite Frihoster and Frihost Sage.

Ghostrider will be making the rank images. There'll ofcourse be an update when the ranks are added.

edit: -unlocked- on request, but new votes still aren't counted.
deanhills
rvec wrote:
-close-
Votes are counted and new votes won't make a difference.

Elite Frihoster(7) was the most liked rank, and Frihost Alien the most disliked (4).

Ghostrider will be making the rank images. There'll ofcourse be an update when the ranks are added.

This is awesome news rvec. Thank you so much for your and now Ghostrider's hard work. This is much appreciated. I already feel like dancing, but probably should hang in a little ..... Smile

Any idea yet how it is going to work, i.e. with numbers of posts? Would be great to know what we can be looking forward to. Smile
Ghost Rider103
That's probably going to be up to Bondings.

I've already finished the design for the ranks and already sent them to Bondings. Just have to make sure they look ok to Bondings, and then all he'll need to do is upload them.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
That's probably going to be up to Bondings.

I've already finished the design for the ranks and already sent them to Bondings. Just have to make sure they look ok to Bondings, and then all he'll need to do is upload them.
Wow! That was fast Ghost Rider, thank you so much. Great stuff! Also to rvec of course. And everyone else who were persistent with posting their suggestions and voting.
Arseniy
Voted for 'em and celebrated my glorious comeback from the lands of no-internet-connection! Smile
rvec
Arseniy wrote:
Voted for 'em and celebrated my glorious comeback from the lands of no-internet-connection! Smile

You're too late
ocalhoun
Which one, Elite or Sage, is the higher?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:

Must be Elite. It got 7 votes, Sage got 5:

rvec wrote:

Do you think there is a chance we will be moving from "Freak" to "Sage"? What a contrast!!!!!! Although, really anything would be better ..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Can't wait!
truespeed
ocalhoun wrote:

lets have a poll.
Arseniy
Damn!
Sorry guys, I'd have to read before post o_O
Ghost Rider103
I personally think that Elite FriHoster should be the highest. Not only because it got the highest amount of votes, but also because I see "elite" being of a higher rank than "sage".

It could really go either way, but I'd personally like to see Elite FriHoster be the highest. Plus I think the Elite FriHoster rank looks the best out of the two.

Just my opinion of course. But I think it is going to be up to Bondings.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I personally think that Elite FriHoster should be the highest. Not only because it got the highest amount of votes, but also because I see "elite" being of a higher rank than "sage".

It could really go either way, but I'd personally like to see Elite FriHoster be the highest. Plus I think the Elite FriHoster rank looks the best out of the two.

Just my opinion of course. But I think it is going to be up to Bondings.
A good opinion and totally agreed. Elite Frihoster makes great sense for being higher than Sage Frihoster. I was also wondering, since we have progressed to 10,000 postings and beyond, whether the intervals between ranks could be expanded. Anyway, will just be glad and happy when the two new ranks have been implemented. Can't be soon enough for me!
GB
Cool, new titles! Can't wait to see what I am now.
rvec
GB wrote:
Still the same, noting will change for most users, only for those who are freak.
ocalhoun
rvec wrote:
GB wrote:
Still the same, noting will change for most users, only for those who are freak.

Addicted will stay the same? Does that mean there will be a 10,000 rank?
Ghost Rider103
GB is a Senior, not Addicted. So his rank won't change at all, even if we were to replace Addicted.

Not entirely sure what the new ranks will be doing for sure. They could be two completely new ranks above Freak, or we could remove freak and replace it with the new one, plus add another one above the current freak. I think it's kind of up in the air right now and is all up to Bondings.

I am not even sure when they will be uploaded. I sent them to Bondings already, but all we can do is wait and see what happens.
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I am not even sure when they will be uploaded. I sent them to Bondings already, but all we can do is wait and see what happens.

A little preview, perhaps?
Ghost Rider103
Yeah sure, I don't see why not.

I think I'll let you guys wait until Bondings uploads the new ranks before you can see the full thing. Laughing

This is the joy of being a designer. Very Happy
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Yeah sure, I don't see why not.

I think I'll let you guys wait until Bondings uploads the new ranks before you can see the full thing. Laughing

This is the joy of being a designer. Very Happy
You know, I'm like a kid at the moment, can't Bondings at least tell us "how many sleeps"? Am dying both of curiosity and anticipation. Would love to see what the designs look like. Smile
hamza1122
ooh...new ranks. Wanna see what they are Smile
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Would love to see what the designs look like. Smile

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up being just the old ones with new text...
Ghost Rider103
Hey now, I'm not that cheesy of a designer. Laughing
Ghost Rider103
I don't know what the deal is. I've PM'ed Bondings more than once, and I jsut recently resent him another PM hoping he will read it.

I'm not even sure if he is aware the rank designs are finished or not because he hasn't read any of the PM's I've sent him.

This is extremely disappointing.
Bondings
I'm sorry for the delay. I was busy with the server problems (apache not working and frontpage extensions) and the server move and wasn't able to do much otherwise for Frihost lately.

Anyway, the new ranks are up. I changed the Addicted Frihoster to Frihost Sage and the Frihost Freak to Elite Frihoster and changed the number of posts required to 7500.

Anyway, do you think I should change the number of posts required of the other ranks (make them higher)?
truespeed
The spacing seems wrong,i am a sage and i have 1400 posts,yet dean is a sage and has over 5000 posts,shouldn't there be something in between?
Bondings
@truespeed, I was thinking of making all the previous ranks have a higher minimum post count, at least if people want this.
truespeed
I think that would be better,i am not sure how they are spaced at the moment,but i am guessing you turn sage at 1000 posts,and don't become elite till 7500. That's a huge gap of 6500 posts.
Ghost Rider103
I think you should make the lower ones all a bit higher.

It doesn't seem right to have someone with only 1400 posts to have the same rank as a user with over 5k posts.

Just my opinion though.

Thanks for uploading the ranks by the way. Very Happy
Bondings
I guess most people are indeed of the same opinion that everything should be raised. Anyway, I changed them to the following:
Quote:
New member 0
Frihost wannabe 50
Junior Frihoster 100
Adolescent Frihoster 200
Frihoster 400
Senior Frihoster 1000
Frihost Sage 3000
Elite Frihoster 7500

Is this ok, or not, what would you propose?
Ghost Rider103
I think that will do just fine. At least, it looks ok to me anyways.

Thanks once again!
deanhills
@Ghost Rider. Thanks again for all the hard work.

A suggestion (although it may be failing eyesight on my part). I can't see the "ghost" artwork in the Frihost Ghost logo properly. It looks little more than a tiny ink splash. Could it be made a little larger perhaps to do justice to the artwork?

Am curious. What is the symbolism of the artwork for Frihost Sage?
Ghost Rider103
Believe me, if there was any room to make it bigger, I would have. Though I'm not too worried about it, people will get the point. I think you're just looking at it too hard. Perhaps I should have made the ghost invisible so you cannot see it. Laughing

Plus I don't want to waste Bondings time re-uploading ranks.

As for the FriHost Sage rank, it is too a shield like the other ranks. Except it has a sword going through the middle of it.

Unfortunately, I can't find the bigger version I created. I could of swore I saved it, as I keep double back ups of everything, but I might have accidentally deleted it. I'll check my external drive tomorrow and see if it got saved on there.

But for now, maybe this image will help you understand more of what it is: http://cloud.graphicleftovers.com/10455/item15882/black%20metal%20background%20and%20shield.jpg

It's not really the same, but will help you get an idea of what it is. I was keeping the same theme as the other ranks on the forums, which all have to do with shields and dragons.

Also, the Frihost Sage actually has an "S" on in the middle of the shield for "Sage" you can't even see it after it being scaled down so small but oh well. Not much you can do with an icon so small.

Elite Frihoster has to be my favorite out of the two though. It really came out nice, I think you guys will love it.

Now the old Frihost Freak symbol, does anybody know what in the world that was?
Vrythramax
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
... Now the old Frihost Freak symbol, does anybody know what in the world that was?

Ugly...just plain old fashioned ugly. Laughing

Nice job Exclamation
deanhills
Vrythramax wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
... Now the old Frihost Freak symbol, does anybody know what in the world that was?

Right ... instant amnesia!

@Ghost Rider Thanks for explaining the design for Frihost Sage. Pretty awesome. Obviously a lot of thought must have gone into it.
Ghost Rider103
Vrythramax wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

Nice job Exclamation

That's what I thought... Looked kind of like cartoon dog sh*t to me. Laughing

@deanhills no problem.
deanhills
I was wondering whether rvec or someone could update the Ranks Criteria in the Announcements and Rules Forum?

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-14966.html

Is there any way that we can place a link up in the banner area as I remember when I first started that it took quite a bit of searching to find out what the ranks were. For example if one types in "Frihost Ranks" in the Search Box, the Ranks Criteria are very far down in the list, and there is no clear reference to it. I would not have thought to type in "Ranks Criteria" either.
Peterssidan
deanhills wrote:
Is there any way that we can place a link up in the banner area as I remember when I first started that it took quite a bit of searching to find out what the ranks were. For example if one types in "Frihost Ranks" in the Search Box, the Ranks Criteria are very far down in the list, and there is no clear reference to it. I would not have thought to type in "Ranks Criteria" either.

Pick Sort Type: "Relevance" and the Ranks Criteria page will be the third result. Otherwise it's ordered by Date and that is not often very useful.
rvec
deanhills wrote:
I was wondering whether rvec or someone could update the Ranks Criteria in the Announcements and Rules Forum?

done
ocalhoun
^.^ I have a goal now!
Twisted Evil
william
Wow, I just saw the Elite Frihoster Rank. Now that's a good design. Seriously, that's what the highest rank should have looked like a long time ago. Outstanding work!
deanhills
rvec wrote:
deanhills wrote:

done
Thanks rvec .... great stuff.

@william and Ghost Rider .... just had a chance to see Elite Frihoster for the first time too, and I agree it is pretty awesome, something to aspire to for sure.

Looks as though Ocalhoun is well on the way. Maybe we need to put a red carpet out or something for the first Frihoster to become an Elite Frihoster .... Cool
Ghost Rider103
Thanks for the comments. I knew you guys would like the Elite rank. I wanted to make it the nicest rank of them all to give whoever gets it the best overall rank.

I believe I succeeded in this.
enkyskateboard
id like the ranks the way they are only elite is so much work to achev not ther yet
Ghost Rider103
The point of Elite was to make it extremely difficult to get. That way once someone does get it, they are fairly original. That being the reward of being an Elite FriHoster, and a cool rank of course.
dehv3
Voted for 2 of the acceptable ranks, both covering expert and master range. But they are not replacement for already existing, somewhat misleading ranks: Junior Frihoster (makes me think that conversation is with kindergarten age), Adolescent Frihoster (objectionable if you are 55 or 70 yrs old), Addicted Frihoster (if you proud of own healthy way of life and self-control).
mOrpheuS
rvec wrote:
Votes aren't counted, winners are already made public (see end of topic)

-locked-