FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dell S2409W 24" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor - Problem

socceraggie
I recently got a Dell S2409W 24" Widescreen flat panel monitor and am using it as an extended desktop screen but am experiencing a problem with it. What appears to be randomly, the screen will go black, as if the monitor is being turned off, for about a second and then it will come back. There is no message that appears on screen when this happens. The following are some other stats on my system:

Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon X2300 Series
Resolution setting: 1920 x 1080 (from what I can determine this is the highest setting option)
Computer: HP Compaq 6910p

For the most part this doesn't cause a problem but when it happens it usually happens frequently for about 5 minutes and then it goes away. This is the second display I've received from Dell as the first one they sent me was physically broken. I'm wondering if I need to send this one back too.

Thanks!
william
Hmm, first thing I would do is check if it isn't the video cable that is causing the problem. Try out another cable and see if that makes any difference.
jackill
If it would be problem with signal cable, You should see rather "No signal" error, not this. Try reinstalling drivers, to newest.
ForceRun
Really just sounds like a bad monitor which happens from time to time, test it on a different computer just to make sure.
socceraggie
All,

Thank you for your posts! The monitor came with a DVI-D cable. From reading some other forums this cable was suppose to be a higher quality signal and faster refresh options. While the docking station I'm using has this port available, the laptop does not and the graphics card appears to have issues with this type of signal. When I changed the cable to a standard VGA the problem ceased.