FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FTP Problems

Pariscalling
I've been using FrontPage and FileZilla for a few years now and everything was working fine. I just set up a new website through an existing one and the FTP was working for a few days. But it stopped yesterday. FileZilla accepts the data connection, transfers the info, and says Directory listing successful. But nothing has been transferred. I can't see where the problem is. From another FTP discussion, I saw reference to Active and Passive modes, but don't know how to find or change that, and just noticed that my FTP said it was entering Passive mode for the last attempt. I don't know if it was always like that. I didn't change anything. Ideas anyone?
Asap170
What server are you on? Because I am on server 3 and it's been working fine for me.
Pariscalling
Asap170 wrote:
What server are you on? Because I am on server 3 and it's been working fine for me.

Don't know how to answer that. I've also just noticed that FileZilla is working with changes just made with a different website created with FrontPage. I'm suspecting that the pages for the new website have somehow ended up in an incorrect folder, although I can't see it anywhere.
rvec
eehm you don't have hosting here...
Maybe you should ask your hosting provider?
It's possible they changed something.
jmlworld
Since you are new member it seems that you are either on server 3 or server 4.

Back to the FTP problem this seems to be a proxy/firewall problem. Several days ago, my FTP went to read only. I was behind a proxy provided by my ISP, and I had no control over modifying the proxy setting to enable the FTP read/write permissions. I called them and I solved the problem.

Usually, when FTP gets a problem it throws an error with a prefix number like the following example:

Code:
530 Login incorrect.

Please see which error number it throws and paste it here so we can try to solve it.
Pariscalling
Sorry about the delayed response. I couldn't get to the forum through the email notice nor through either of the Frihost listings provided in Google all day yesterday.

"Back to the FTP problem this seems to be a proxy/firewall problem. Several days ago, my FTP went to read only. I was behind a proxy provided by my ISP, and I had no control over modifying the proxy setting to enable the FTP read/write permissions. I called them and I solved the problem.

Usually, when FTP gets a problem it throws an error with a prefix number like the following example:"

There are no error messages and FileZilla tells me everything is working and the directory listing was accepted, but changes made in FrontPage are not seen on the website. The thing is, FileZilla is working fine for another FrontPage website, so it has to be something specific to the new site. I'm coming to the conclusion that I probably saved some pages, including the index page, without clicking on the specific folder for the new site and they ended up maybe in the root directory. The only such things I see come up if I want to make a hyperlink, then I see what looks like additional pages/images outside of the specific folder. But I don't see how to delete them. Yes, I think I'll have to call the host, but my phone/phone lines are down at the moment. When it rains it pours. Thanks.