FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New to programming..advise please.

Twotone
I have just started looking at learning a programming language...I have been looking a C++ and will be teaching myself ...
Should I concentrate or C++ or would another language ...like visual basic or .NET be more useful ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ease of learning is a consideration as i am a novice Smile
coreymanshack
Twotone wrote:
I have just started looking at learning a programming language...I have been looking a C++ and will be teaching myself ...
Should I concentrate or C++ or would another language ...like visual basic or .NET be more useful ?

C++ is good to know, but chances are you aren't going to need to program anything for anyone in c++ unless you are hired in industry. I'd look at something like php or even java if i were you.
pytrash
If you are going to learn C++ then I would learn to survive in C first, it will be a whole lot easier to learn C++ after learning C than the other way around. And you will need to learn C if you program at that level.

Like coreymanshack, I think you would be better off learning php or (my personal favourite) python.

Your post was such a long time ago, you probably know half a dozen languages now. It would be interesting to know how you are getting on.
rajpk
c++ is good

but
if u wanna more

you can learn php
and
java

in industry these three c++,php and java are "in"
Fire Boar
Visual Basic is useless, and .NET isn't a language, it's a framework. I'd agree with the above: PHP is great for web applications, Java is good for making GUI applications quickly, I personally like the Qt framework for C++, which is again for GUI applications. And Python and Perl are two brilliant scripting languages for getting jobs done.
gameproff
Personally, having run the gamut of languages from VB (i think it was 3.0 back then) to C/C++, then Perl, and Java and PHP and finally now to Python, I would highly recommend Python, especially for someone starting out learning programming.

Python is a scripting language but there is really nothing you can't do with it. From building GUIs, to database apps, web applications, as well as doing simple administrative scripting stuff.

I would save learning C/C++/Java for later once you are comfortable programming and doing things in Python.

Just my 2cs
Peterssidan
Don't be afraid to learn a new language. Often you can use what you learned in one language to learn new languages.
fladry
C++ is nice to learn but it is tough to learn. I see many and many high quality programs are written in c++. Another good alternative in python. It is easy to learn and clean and also powerful.
snowboardalliance
If you are learning C++, "thinking in c++" volumes one and two are amazing, but I read them with a little background coming in.

As for what language, what do you want to do with it? To get a job as an engineer, if all you knew was php, you'd be SOL. Most jobs look for C++/Java experience, some like C# and some like python. If you are interested in the web, php is definitely the way to go. See the issue here?

My advice? Start with something, say C++. Really get into general programming concepts (loops, boolean logic, functions, oop, algorithms, data structures) and then when you are ready, learn a new language. It will be much easier and you can learn so much this way. Really, there are some major differences, but when you know one or two languages, you can learn anything (within reason).
Flarkis
I would suggest python probably as a starting language, it is fairly easy to learn and offers some of the basics about programming. Python can honestly make programming fun right when you start. But i would also suggest learning C. It was my first language, and after getting a firm understanding in memory management, pointers, bitwise operators, etc. It has been extremely easy to pick up other languages later. It is not an easy language by a long shot but it definitely is a strong one.
snowboardalliance
Flarkis wrote:
I would suggest python probably as a starting language, it is fairly easy to learn and offers some of the basics about programming. Python can honestly make programming fun right when you start. But i would also suggest learning C. It was my first language, and after getting a firm understanding in memory management, pointers, bitwise operators, etc. It has been extremely easy to pick up other languages later. It is not an easy language by a long shot but it definitely is a strong one.

I'd argue that it's more useful to learn C++. You can do a lot of low level stuff when you learn, like implementing different container classes, but it also seems to be more useful.

But that's probably just because I've never learned C, just started with procedural programming in C++ before doing more OOP stuff. And most employers I've spoken with want C++ vs C.

Either way though, it's a good language to know whether you go with C or C++ first.
erlendhg
Fire Boar wrote:
I personally like the Qt framework for C++, which is again for GUI applications.

Yay, me too. I started using it in the development of a sudoku program. Now I use it for just about everything that has something to do with GUI. Not to mention that I am Norwegian as well (Trolltech was Norwegian, I guess you know, before they were bought by Nokia).

Fire Boar wrote:
And Python and Perl are two brilliant scripting languages for getting jobs done.

Agreed.

But on to topic.
If you never have tried any programming before, I would actually suggest learning just a tiny bit of Basic (as in the programming language) or any other high-level languages first, before throwing yourself into low level programming. I would, as mentioned already, also suggest starting with C, before you might go on to C++ or Java.

Good luck Smile
portoskt
yeah java is great, but if you want to see some result of your work fast, use vb.net and enjoy
Fire Boar
VB.NET might be easy, but be warned: certain types of people (like me) will laugh at you if you use VB in any situation where you could have used some other language.
probna
if he just do programming for fun, vb.net is best choice i think
eli71990
I learned c++ in college. I liked it. I just started learning Flash on this really great website that has some free video tutorials. It's called http://everythingfla.com. Check it out, you may decide that Flash is the way to go! I highly recommend everythingfla.com!
jfussion
for a beginner (means no knowledge in programing), I suggest python as your first language. It has very light syntax that is very fit for introduction in programming world.. you can check it at http://vtc.com
emanuel2
I really like to code in Java, especially the (native) interoperability is a very nice feature.
Furthermore its very easy to make GUIs. Lately I have worked with the Java 3D game engine: jMonkey (http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/), and its really great. Of cause you dont have a comparable performance to C++, but since many people have "overpowered" pcs, so its not that a big problem I think...
portoskt
that all depends how deep you would like to with programming... if you want to do it just for fun, choose some visual editor and you will have some results very fast
noobcake
I agree with a lot of people here. You'd want to start out with an easy to use language like Python or Ruby (or *gasp* VB). In fact if you just happen to have a copy of Warcraft 3/Starcraft 2, I'd recommend learning the basics(making loops and conditionals and such) of programming from their Trigger Editor in the Map Editor, it's really a lot funner seeing things blow up and creating spells than seeing your computer print "Hello, world!" or do arithmetic, but maybe that's just me. Warcraft 3 also has the cool feature to turn your GUI-made(graphical user interface) scripts into actual code (using Blizzard's proprietary language that looks kind of like a mix of Ruby and Java), so that helps too. Anyway, I'll stop selling Blizzard's stuff for them now and go back to more popular stuff.

Python or Ruby would be great if you have the patience for it. Most of what you'll be seeing is arithmetic and "hello world"-type things for a few months though, at least until you build up the necessary skills to start working on things with GUIs. Then there's VB, that's easy to use and learn from, but it's also quite useless in the real world. Great thing about it is that you'll be building GUIs in no time. I'd suggest moving on to something else as soon as you're ready to tackle actually writing in code though.

I'd veer away from C/C++ as a complete beginner though. Although a (good?) compromise would be Java. Java has built-in libraries with really good documentation for building GUIs, so you can jump right into that, although it's more difficult than all of my previously mentioned choices.
CostelaMan
For beginners I'd recommend python/java, but do you intend focus on web or desktop programming? Because if you intend focus on web I'd recommend php as well, after u learn your first language the others become easy.

Cheers!
portoskt
java is too hard for beginner, it is my opinion...
davidv
I recommend Python. It influences good programming habits like proper indentation not to mention it's fairly a simple language to learn and just like SQL, it's easy read.

I've also read somewhere that Python was initially created to be somewhat of an "educational" language meaning that the syntax is a lot easier to understand among many other things.
Peterssidan
I see a lot of people speak good about Python. I can't say much about that because I havn't used it much but I have stumbled upon things like this: "Hello"[::-1] How is this intuitive? Looks like a very random syntax to me Wink
davidv
Peterssidan wrote:
I see a lot of people speak good about Python. I can't say much about that because I havn't used it much but I have stumbled upon things like this: "Hello"[::-1] How is this intuitive? Looks like a very random syntax to me Wink

Well of course every language has their own set of "WTF DOES THAT MEAN" syntax, Python included. I'm glad you pointed that out...

>> x
>> x[::-1]

From what I know, Python is the only language that allows negative indexing which is quite useful... [::-1] just reverses x.
Fire Boar
Python's s[x:y:z] syntax is actually reasonably intuitive, you just need to get your head around it. If z is not given, the second : is optional. Then,

s is the string to manipulate.
x is the number of characters from the beginning to ignore. If x is negative, then all but -x characters are ignored.
y is the number of characters from the beginning to take. If y is negative, then all but -y characters are taken.
z is the step length. It's a bit complicated when z is not 1 or -1.
neelgo
Twotone wrote:

As Ease of learning is a consideration Go for VB.net
jcreus
Twotone wrote:

IMHO Python is best without much experience. Easy to learn, and easily you get to do really complex things without many difficulties. But the thing is, you can find it difficult later for more complex languages, none of which will be as straightforward as Python.

Also I recommend PHP for serverside software.