FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

dual boot win xp 32bit with vista 64 bit

ssweat
dual boot win xp 32bit with vista 64 bit, I would really like to do this. Here is my situation. I have 3 hd 1 is 35gb drive c:, and a 350gb drive d:, then a 500gb external. I use c: primarily for just windows and then use drive d for programs and page file. I do this for the purpose of not losing much if I decide I want to reformat.
so I have windows xp 32bit on drive c: and want to put vista 64bit on drive d:(with all of my 32bit software on it) will this affect my existing files, or will i need to make another partition solely for vista64?
will i be able to run the 32 bit software with 64 bit OS?
hunnyhiteshseth
Since you will be dual booting between the two, it shouldn't be a problem unless you also decide to install vista's programs also in d:
joostvane
Just wondering. How much GB of RAM does your computer have?
ssweat
that is why i wanted to upgrade to 64bit to get the max out of my RAM it looks like that is still minimal on what i can get with 64 bit but 4 gigs is fine for now. I did go ahead and dual boot it and it worked ok but kept BSOD'iong me so I decided to wipe and do a clean vista 64 install. Thanks for the help.
badai
why don't you use virtual pc? you can have both vista and xp run at the same time.

or if you can spend some money, you can use vmware.
hunnyhiteshseth
ssweat wrote:
that is why i wanted to upgrade to 64bit to get the max out of my RAM it looks like that is still minimal on what i can get with 64 bit but 4 gigs is fine for now. I did go ahead and dual boot it and it worked ok but kept BSOD'iong me so I decided to wipe and do a clean vista 64 install. Thanks for the help.

If you went to 64-bit just for memory, then I think you also need to consider that program size increases in case of 64-bit operating systems because of increase in size of pointers and data types.
Agent ME
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
If you went to 64-bit just for memory, then I think you also need to consider that program size increases in case of 64-bit operating systems because of increase in size of pointers and data types.

There isn't too much difference in memory usage between 32-bit and 64-bit. Pointers aren't exactly what fills up RAM generally.

Is there any reason you want to keep Windows XP? Why not just upgrade straight to Vista? I haven't had any problems with using it ever. Unless you have some ancient obscure hardware device that has been long since forgotten, there shouldn't be driver issues.
hunnyhiteshseth
Agent ME wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

There isn't too much difference in memory usage between 32-bit and 64-bit. Pointers aren't exactly what fills up RAM generally.

As I said not only pointers but also other data types. For example storing a simple integer will take 4byte on a 32-bit system but will take 8 byte on a 64-bit system. When increase from all type of data is added it becomes significant.
Agent ME
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
As I said not only pointers but also other data types. For example storing a simple integer will take 4byte on a 32-bit system but will take 8 byte on a 64-bit system. When increase from all type of data is added it becomes significant.

C/C++ programs compiled to be 64-bit have no change in data type sizes, except that pointers become 64-bit (and with GCC, 'long int' becomes 64-bit, but Microsoft doesn't use GCC for their own stuff and programs that need to use a lot of memory space usually use a different, more specific data type for their need that isn't affected by the 32/64-bit architecture difference).