FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Very Strange Problem...

nivinjoy
Hey friends now i have encountered with a very serious problem in Windows XP...that the system says that the task manager and the registry edit has been disabled by the administrator...But the funny thing is that i have the administrator rights and i have not done anything...!!

Is it a virus...?? And what is the solution...!! And i can't login with default Administrator login in Windows XP..!!

Please help me out fast guys..!!
badai
get this free software

TweakNow PowerPack 2009

http://www.tweaknow.com/powerPack.html

under Windows Secret, Miscellaneous, Restriction #1

there you can enable back both registry editor and task manager.
nivinjoy
Thank you for the link..and thanks for the interest that you showed in helping me...!!

But that is not the solution for the problem...!! I want to know how it happened...?? And i have to enable it in the normal way rather than going for the additional software or application...!!

Actually it should have not happened and i want to enable them in normal way...!! And what about the Administrator login...??
badai
define "normal way".

if you mean to undo whatever cause it, then good luck in undo all the setting and uninstalling application one by one.

or if you mean normal is by editing registry, then you are out of luck too, cause it's has been disabled.

i might be wrong, cause i can't really read people's mind, so the only way for me to help you is to explain what normal is.

to know how it happened, you might need a real wizard. mere mortal can only fix it without really know what cause it. the best is to guess. it could be malware, or it could be some control freak applications. but since it also reset your admin password, it could be the former.

for resetting the password, few ways that i know, all are not allowed to be post in this forum, so you might want to google it. it's not that hard really. try "reset windows password" for starter.
nivinjoy
By Normal way what i mean is to bring back the Task Manager and Registry edit in simple steps or in way that i can perform rather than going for other applications or other programs like one for which you provided the link...!!!

Actually in a normal situation it should not have happened...!! Right..??

So can you list out the probable reasons that might have caused this..?? And some solutions..??
badai
use gpedit.msc.

start, run, gpedit.msc

you can google "disable registry editor with group policy editor", then put the opposite value (1 or true) to enable.

you can also enable task manager with group policy editor.

sure, there are hundreds of easy to use tools out there, but you already flat out refuse to use it, so good luck, and be careful with it.

about "normal", i think i can say this might be normal for this to happen to you.
nivinjoy
And also there is frequent show of a message saying that DEP has blocked the program or the execution and so on...!! (DEP is Data Execution Prevention)..!!

So taking all the situation into consideration what do you infer about that happened to my system...??
hunnyhiteshseth
nivinjoy wrote:
And also there is frequent show of a message saying that DEP has blocked the program or the execution and so on...!! (DEP is Data Execution Prevention)..!!

So taking all the situation into consideration what do you infer about that happened to my system...??

If I have to say in one word and given the information available: VIRUS!!

which anti-virus program are you using? Is it updated?
nivinjoy
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
nivinjoy wrote:

I am using ESET Nod32 and the virus database is updated and the virus signature database shows the date as 25-08-2009..!! That means it is updated...!! Right..??

But when i run the virus scan it says no virus or zero threats..!! Then how...??
hunnyhiteshseth
nivinjoy wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
nivinjoy wrote:

I am using ESET Nod32 and the virus database is updated and the virus signature database shows the date as 25-08-2009..!! That means it is updated...!! Right..??

But when i run the virus scan it says no virus or zero threats..!! Then how...??

See, I don't know it is the case or not, but it is possible that virus may be going resident before Windows loads and is hiding its track from virus.
I would suggest you, boot from a clean CD with an updated anti-virus software on it and then run a full scan. I would suggest you search on net for "Ultimate Boot CD", download it and burn it with updated anti-virus software(ofcourse from a friend's computer whose computer is known to be virus free) and then use that CD to run virus scan on your HardDisk.
bloodrider
You may have a replicative virus Confused

Have you access to Windows Update?
Can you access antivirus websites? If yes, do some online scans, from kaspersky, panda, etc...

Two weeks ago I was infected too, only due to my dumbness (I should have tried that on a VM) Razz, the virus was too recent. So, even with your antivirus updated you should be careful Exclamation I also use ESET Smart Security, for me it's the best nowadays, but nothing is perfect Razz

Try start Windows on "security mode" and use System Restore to recover to some point in the past and see if it solves your problem. You can also try a "reinstall" with a "XP Professional Disk".

If this didn't solve your problem or didn't work at all, well you have a good problem. You might try external scans by a boot CD but this will take to much time and effort. Hopping you have all your information backed up, format and install the OS. Don't forget that if you backup files from your infected system you will infect your new system when you use them Exclamation

PS.: Having you firewall in "interactive mode" it's useful as you can control all outer-communications. That's how I detected my little friend, wlogon.exe trying to communicate to China, hummm. I became suspicious and I hunted it down Laughing
David_Pardy
I experienced this same problem a while back with a computer infected by a virus at work.

Unfortunately I can't remember the name, however there is a free command line based process killer by a 'Craig Peacock'. Search for this, and it will allow you to view and kill processes from the command line.

I remember I had to check the processes that were running and then kill all three of the suss processes using a batch file of the following syntax:

Code:

process -k %1
process -k %2
process -k %3

Each process has a thread ID, so you would create say "pkill.bat" with the code written above, then from teh command prompt type the following (THE NUMBERS ARE EXAMPLES!!!)

pkill 331 1057 1731

This will kill all three of the running processes faster than they can check for the other two processes to be running and prevents them relaunching

What I had to do, however, was find out what the filenames of each of the processes was, and where they were located. There were several locations for this particular virus, under the current user's profile, and in the Common Files in Microsoft Shared files in Program Files.

It took me 4 hours to get it fixed, by the way... But if it happened again I could probably fix it in less than half an hour.
weableandbob
I sort of had something like this before-my background was deleted and replaced by "your computer has been infected with a virus", and my screensaver was removed. It also disallowed access to the tabs to change them in the properties menu. The solution? I saved everything I needed to an external disc, then wiped the disc clean and reinstalled. It'll get rid of any viruses, and it'll also clear up any windows bugs or slowdown that occur over time.