FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

School

Arty
School starts tomorrow for me.

Does anybody start school around this time?

This year is going to be hard for me, since most of my classes are AP.
Last year most of my classes were blow off's...

Let's see how I would adjust. -.-
Xaferrow
Well, good luck then! Very Happy
Denvis
Haha, school started for me 5 weeks ago. What does 'AP' mean? :S I'm from Australia and I have never heard of that term.
Libby
"Advanced Placement"

My school was so small we didn't have them. I was jealous of the kids at the public school who could take them.

<-- nerd
ankitdatashn
Well that post reminds me that once I also used to study in school!!, school life is great, enjoy them mate!
Arty
Haha. I'm in my junior year. Can't wait for college.
deanhills
Libby wrote:
"Advanced Placement"

My school was so small we didn't have them. I was jealous of the kids at the public school who could take them.

<-- nerd
What does Advanced Placement mean? Is it something to do with skipping a grade or a class with people who are generally in a "gifted" category?
ninjakannon
deanhills wrote:
Libby wrote:
"Advanced Placement"

<-- nerd
What does Advanced Placement mean? Is it something to do with skipping a grade or a class with people who are generally in a "gifted" category?

I ask the same question! All I can relate it to is doing something externally to the school itself, which I infer from 'placement'.

What country do you live in, Arty? Here in the UK school starts in 1-2 weeks, although I shall never be going there again!
hofodomo01
Advanced Placement (AP) is something used exclusively in US schools.

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/about.html

It's basically a class with more advanced material (usually "comparable" to college-level classes). It looks good on college applications, and may help you boost your school grades standings/class rankings.

Back when I was in HS, it was mad rush to sign up for as many AP classes as possible...
desonium
My school starts thuesday. But my first lessons start wednesday.
It will also be a hard year for me, because I am in my exam year of VWO.
Hope I will make it, because I had a lot of problems last year.
watersoul
School was a while ago for me now but best of luck to you...and in between the good laughs (which I hope you have many) just try and keep in your mind that the hard work you put in now sooo makes your paid work easier when you're in a job later in life (guaranteed salary/35 hour weeks/flexible working time/benefits/company car) etc etc yadda yadda!!

...if your mind/body all works ok, then you can be whatever you wanna be, if you work hard enough for it and want it badly enough, and remember some people always find some things easier than others, so never lose heart if some things seem a struggle sometimes Smile

*edit* and when people say school's the best days of your life, it's lies...university is!!!
Fanghai
i just got into college. rather i just got to college. these guys are really chill. however the dudes on the other side aren't so cool lol they just kinda cloes their doors and do their own thing. whatever. i just had like 2 days of college and i bet soon we'll all be friends and very social to eachother
Arty
ninjakannon wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Libby wrote:
"Advanced Placement"

<-- nerd

I ask the same question! All I can relate it to is doing something externally to the school itself, which I infer from 'placement'.

What country do you live in, Arty? Here in the UK school starts in 1-2 weeks, although I shall never be going there again!

I live in the U.S.
AP is just a more advanced version of the class, it teachers the same things, but it's at a faster pace and you go over things more throughly.

At my school, most of the smart kids are in AP, and there are less morons. o.o
pll
It's my first year in college and I will start on August, 28th.
I can't wait to see how it will be. But I hope I won't have too much homeworks!
ninjakannon
Thanks hofodomo01 and Arty, I understand what AP is now. Interesting, I think that's a good idea, although it has potential to socially divide people into groups.

@watersoul: you're totally right, the harder you work the higher your potential in the future for a satisfying life.
Insanity
AP classes are great. They let you know what college courses are going to be like, and they give you a good headstart with the credits they will give you for whatever college you're going to later in life. It also bumps up your GPA quite a bit and look g reat on your colllege applications.
Arty
ninjakannon wrote:
Thanks hofodomo01 and Arty, I understand what AP is now. Interesting, I think that's a good idea, although it has potential to socially divide people into groups.

It does, kind of, but then again, every class has the potential to socially divide people, look at band for example.
tuenti_login
ohhh. i wont start untill october :p
polly-gone
Advanced Placement classes are basically like "Honors" or "Advanced" classes, except that they are comparable to college-level courses and at the end of the year you can take an AP test of that class for college-credit.

Schools starts tomorrow for me too. I'm going to be a Junior and this year is going to kill me because I think I have Early Onset Senioritis. Smile

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
logicfail182
ninjakannon wrote:

@watersoul: you're totally right, the harder you work the higher your potential in the future for a satisfying life.

It totally divides my school, but it's worth it because it's one less credit you need to get after hs. I start tomorrow, btw.
ninjakannon
logicfail182 wrote:
It totally divides my school, but it's worth it because it's one less credit you need to get after hs.

Yeah, and as Arty said:

Arty wrote:
every class has the potential to socially divide people

So I'm sure it's worth it. I would have liked to be in some AP classes if I lived in the US!

@polly-gone: I also suffered a serious lack of motivation towards my studies, which increased as time went on. It can be hard to force yourself to work, but it's so worth it at the end and you will feel much better having got over the hurdles! There will be times when you don't do the work you're set, but it's important to at least do enough to hold an understanding. Then revise for exams!
airh3ad
Your not a kid anymore you supposed to know what to do ,study always and focus your study. School is a fact of life and getting an education can help you build the kind of future life you want. So let's talk about school and what to do when you don't like it.
Asap170
I am already in my third week of school. It's fun... But I don't like it... Our teachers are funny!
tony
Arty wrote:
Haha. I'm in my junior year. Can't wait for college.

Best wishes! That is a great attitude to have for college. I believe attitude is at least half of what makes or breaks incoming college students. that is fantastic you are so motivated. Cheers!
kriszara
I started back to college on the 24th.
My classes are all very easy. I am taking four classes, 12 units.
Those of you doing it the first time, don't screw up. I am having to make up for a lot of bad grades from when I goofed-up the first time.
apple
being out of school ROCKS!!! Laughing

good luck to those of you who are going back tho Smile
missdixy
My school is so strange. I don't go back in until September 28th, but I also don't get out until mid-June or so. Have fun in school!
Easyway_Lover
School is HORRIBLE! There is still 5 more weeks until its the holidays and there are loads of assignments to hand in and a LOT of tests which I can't be bothered (cbb) studying for.
standready
Best of luck to all that are heading back to school. Learning does not stop after school. Most jobs require continued learning whether that is in a structured class or self. Everything changes making it necessary to learn new.
ShareVok
Hehe School is long ago, now it's time to search for a new Job. Wink