FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Northern California Coast

gverutes
I just finished a trip up the 101 in Northern California. Let me recommend two spots, although the whole stretch is beautiful!

- Patrick's Point - this is a state park just north of Eureka. It has campgrounds right next to the rugged coast/beach. It looks like a tropical jungle with the some really cool vegetation. I think scenes from Jurassic Park were filmed there.

- Lost Coast - there is a stretch leading from Humboldt Redwoods State Park -- they were suppose to build a highway but never did. It is about a 40 mile loop off the 101 and absolutely awesome. Lots of trees and hills. Only two or three small towns -- Petrolia and Honeydew. Once you get to the coast, it is the way California used to be. Undeveloped coastline with cows and horses -- even Cowboys. Great vistas and fog clouds rolling in. Don't miss it!
ocalhoun
gverutes wrote:

- Lost Coast - there is a stretch leading from Humboldt Redwoods State Park -- they were suppose to build a highway but never did. It is about a 40 mile loop off the 101 and absolutely awesome. Lots of trees and hills. Only two or three small towns -- Petrolia and Honeydew. Once you get to the coast, it is the way California used to be. Undeveloped coastline with cows and horses -- even Cowboys. Great vistas and fog clouds rolling in. Don't miss it!

Sounds like a nice place to live... Is it as expensive as the rest of the state though?
Alaskacameradude
I think highway 101 in general is a MUST DO roadtrip for everyone. I wish I could afford to live
down there in California.