FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

4gb(or more) memory problem with 32-bit systems

seristi
I am currently using 32-bit vista and i have 4gb of memory, the problem is approx. 1gb of memory is wasted because there are 2^32=4gb unique adress space available and MMIO reserves some of the this space depending on which devices you use , I was searching a solution for this problem and i found that there is a feature called Physical Address Extension(PAE) developed by microsoft. By using this feature, 32-bit systems can use more than 4gb of memory.
For people having the same problem here is the solution.

The Operating System that supports PAE are:
Windows Server 2008 (32-bit only)
Windows Vista (32-bit only)
Windows Server 2003 (32-bit only)
Windows XP (32-bit only)
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Windows 2000 Advanced Server

if you have one of the operating systems above, you just have to enable the feature because it is disabled by default. To enable it:

click Start, click Run, type cmd
and type "BCDEdit /set PAE forceenable" in the command line
All done
Donutey
seristi wrote:
I am currently using 32-bit vista and i have 4gb of memory, the problem is approx. 1gb of memory is wasted because there are 2^32=4gb unique adress space available and MMIO reserves some of the this space depending on which devices you use , I was searching a solution for this problem and i found that there is a feature called Physical Address Extension(PAE) developed by microsoft. By using this feature, 32-bit systems can use more than 4gb of memory.

Windows XP (32-bit only)

if you have one of the operating systems above, you just have to enable the feature because it is disabled by default. To enable it:

All done

Windows enables PAE by default if your CPU supports DEP (Data Execution Prevention).

Any AMD CPU equal to or newer than an Athlon 64 supports DEP. For Intel, some of the last Pentium 4 based CPUs supported DEP (you'll have to check), all Core 2 and newer support it.
seristi
Yes you're right, thanks for the correction.
awazdohamko2004
Donutey wrote:
seristi wrote:

Windows XP (32-bit only)

All done

Windows enables PAE by default if your CPU supports DEP (Data Execution Prevention).

Any AMD CPU equal to or newer than an Athlon 64 supports DEP. For Intel, some of the last Pentium 4 based CPUs supported DEP (you'll have to check), all Core 2 and newer support it.

Thanks for the wonderful info ..
polly-gone
Wow! Thank you so much! I HATED wasting 0.8GB of my RAM that I could be putting to good use. I mean, that's almost as much as putting a brand new 1GB stick in and is way for than a new 512MB stick!

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
Jean-Clod
(I'm sorry if I am offtopic, but what exactly is DEP? I did actually think I knew what it is, but what's the link with CPU supporting it? Hum, sounds like I didn't understand anything Confused Thanks for the answer!)
Jase
Really? If this works flawlessly for me then there might be no point in getting x64.. 32-bit would probably have better application compatibility. Not to mention I THINK it takes a little less hard drive space.
mOrpheuS
I'd recommend reading this excellent blog post on the topic and the official page before making claims that may not be entirely correct.
menino
Thanks for the tip, but I think for Windows 2003 server it is as follows :-
bootcfg /raw "/pae" /A /ID 1

and for SQL 32 bit, I need to find that out.
bukaida
I am having windows XP with SP2 (ver 5.1.2600). When I am typing BCDEdit /set PAE forceenable and pressing enter key, it is saying that BCDEdit is not recognized as internal or external command. What to do?
trthdy
Well you are right. If you guys don't want to edit the boot file manually, you can use the patches mentioned at http://www.pallab.net/2009/12/30/enable-more-than-4gb-memory-in-windows-vista-7/

However, if you have 4GB RAM I won't reccomend doing this, since the benefits are negligible. Remember that when you use PAE mode, the page table is used to translate addresses and this adds an overhead.