FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Making Friends Online

Bluedoll
Think this topic is best suited in General Chat as it is simply a general question?

I’ve always been interested in online communities in general. I want to in the near future associate with a few people to create an online place (world, 3d chat, interactive community) for the purpose of learning about computers and interacting together on a common project together.

The internet is a very large place however and the task of reaching people who might be interested in what I am seems to me to be phenomenally challenging. My plan thus far is to create a reasonable web site that explains ‘the project’ clearly. Other than that first step does anyone have any suggestion regarding how to connect up with people?
hunnyhiteshseth
One think you can do is start posting your idea in similar communities and groups on orkut.com and facebook.com to attract similar thinking people.
Bluedoll
Thanks, hunnyhiteshseth, I will consider doing that and hope for the best. Also, your helpful comment made me think I do need to clarify what is interesting to me so others can know. Will be working on it.

Smile
Denvis
The internet is very large place but it can be very limited as well. There are already websites and programs already in place which 'creates' online friendships. For example Facebook, MSN, Myspace, Twitter etc etc.

If you want to connect up with people, like gunnhiteshseth said, posting on Facebook.com would be a good start. Don't have high expectations though.
hunnyhiteshseth
Denvis wrote:

If you want to connect up with people, like gunnhiteshseth said, posting on Facebook.com would be a good start. Don't have high expectations though.

Thats hunnyhiteshseth and not gunnhiteshseth!
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
Think this topic is best suited in General Chat as it is simply a general question?

I’ve always been interested in online communities in general. I want to in the near future associate with a few people to create an online place (world, 3d chat, interactive community) for the purpose of learning about computers and interacting together on a common project together.

The internet is a very large place however and the task of reaching people who might be interested in what I am seems to me to be phenomenally challenging. My plan thus far is to create a reasonable web site that explains ‘the project’ clearly. Other than that first step does anyone have any suggestion regarding how to connect up with people?
Bluedoll, maybe there are already a number of interactive communities available that you could participate in. Especially in Canada. The good part of looking at ones that already exist is the margin of safety that would be much higher. Always good to start off with a community that is already in existence, and if you still want your own, you can branch out with a number of people you have already linked with, and then add people as you go along. Rather than starting something completely from scratch with a much larger margin of unfamiliar people. What I am trying to say is to dilute the element of risk as much as you can.

You mention interacting together on a common project. If you have identified a project already, you could perhaps search for online communities that already exist. Would also be a good template for you for later.
Bluedoll
I get that feeling too Denvis in very large networks we can seem lost in the crowd? Ok, I will definitely take your advice and keep expectations reasonable, small baby steps to ensure some realistic goals. Actually the more I think about it, I would prefer to get to know a few good over a lot of strangers anyway.

Deanhills what you always say makes sense to me and understand the need for safety for although it may sound clique’, “one bad apple can ruin the bunch” and trust has to be in place when working and playing together. That is so true. For my needs, all I really want is friends for online so the risk factor right there is reduced by it’s very nature.

This post is helping me actually to get motivated and I am thinking as a small start after clarifying (make web page for) an interest – to perhaps put a small contest right here in the forum perhaps.

Should I also be looking at how to effectively advertise a web page or is this a fruitless exercise?

After that I am not quite sure, since to be perfectly honest I feel intimated by the internet because of its immensity. However, at this stage it does as well make sense to simply join what is existing and perhaps make friends along the way.

As always thank you for your comments.
tony
Good luck! It sounds like a cool idea; but the hardest thing with building an online community (in my opinion) is getting consistent members - people who come back again, not just visit it once but return repeatedly and build relationships. Best wishes!
Bluedoll
tony wrote:
Good luck! It sounds like a cool idea; but the hardest thing with building an online community (in my opinion) is getting consistent members - people who come back again, not just visit it once but return repeatedly and build relationships. Best wishes!

It is funny, you know, how you think and think about something and go around in circles but when you read another persons post, it provides you yet with another perspective.

Yes, consistent members is what I want and perhaps I will change online community to online ‘people’. However, it gets defined, now I see clearly in order to build any relationships I need to provide something very interesting (and interesting to me too so my heart will be in the right place).

Thank you best wishes to you as well Tony.
ankitdatashn
Hi Bluedoll, I can remember the time when I also due to adolescence started to search for friends on internet. And whatever I can say I found out was a world very different than what I found out to be. Every 3 out of four people in the chat rooms are by fake profiles and the rest are the people in their teens who have an incorrect knowledge about these meeting places and have a mania for them.

When I started for my online friend lookup I saw so many people fouling out abuses or marked by extreme eroticism. I could never find that 100% correct person that I wanted. Anyhow sometimes later I did find a couple of people who were decent enough to be capable of my friendship!, one of them is my friend till date. Our online friendship is almost 6-7 years old, although I admit I am not able to give my 100% time to my net friend. I also dedicated a poem to her Smile

Anyways wish you luck so that you find a good online partner...
spring567
Login in to frihost' forum is a type of chat . So come here always . We will be your friends.
Twotone
ankitdatashn wrote:
When I started for my online friend lookup I saw so many people fouling out abuses or marked by extreme eroticism. I could never find that 100% correct person that I wanted. Anyhow sometimes later I did find a couple of people who were decent enough to be capable of my friendship!, one of them is my friend till date. Our online friendship is almost 6-7 years old, although I admit I am not able to give my 100% time to my net friend. I also dedicated a poem to her Smile

Anyways wish you luck so that you find a good online partner...

I think Bluedoll's idea is more to have a "circle of friends" online than just one "partner".
Glad you eventually found your "online partner" give her as much time as you can, true friends and special relationships (either online of offline) should be cherished Smile

Bluedoll wrote:

spring567 wrote:
Login in to frihost' forum is a type of chat . So come here always . We will be your friends.

I agree Frihost forum is and excellent place to exchange ideas, but it does not hold the same "intimacy" as meeting in a 3d enviroment or "virtual room" where you see your self sitting down with people chatting, learning and discussing common interests.......and maybe having a cup of tea and cookies afterwards Smile

Good luck with your project Bluedoll...interested to see how it develops Smile
ninjakannon
As vast as the internet may seem, the bit you're interested in isn't as extensive as you may first imagine. A number of people have talked of the already available social networking websites and online groups, which will already have members with similar interests as well as the added bonus of security and a known environment.

To find friends online just talk in appropriate places about things you like! So to find people to help you with your project, or just to use the project once it's complete, talk about similar things. You'll attract only those who are already interested in that kind of thing - you may even find people who want to do exactly what you are doing! Once you've found them, send them a private message, get talking. Don't be too hasty or get frustrated if people don't want to talk or be your friend.

I'm not sure creating a Facebook group would be a good idea as I'm sceptical as to how many people it would actually attract who wanted to take part. Forums and groups are a more preferred environment in my opinion. But it's your job to find them!
Bluedoll
Hello to you too ankitdatashn and thank you so much for sharing your adventures. Smile

ankitdatashn wrote:
Anyhow sometimes later I did find a couple of people who were decent enough to be capable of my friendship!, one of them is my friend till date.

Yes, I agree there are many obstacles that stand in our way. Are we able to enjoy our online experiences whatever they maybe.

My thoughts are how? What will work, what will not, what do people really want and how could that be provided? It is my hope to build a workable ‘project’ around those ideas.

spring567 wrote:

I do appreciate that thought and can say that is really all I want to do, although there will always be different viewpoints, my only hope is to coexist without conflict and live in peace (online too).

Razz

Thank you for your comment Twotone but actually my idea is not to have a “circle of friends” but rather to attempt to learn how to meet people online whom are interested in a mutual pursuit and through an interactive project simply allow friendships to develop as they will.

I am presently interested in learning how the internet works in regards to connecting, like Tony indicated in the previous post if people do not return it is most likely that they are not interested in what is going on and looking for something else.

This post (it is great to be able to use Frihost to help us) is simply seeking different prospectives on how to achieve neighboring with others that wish to make friends online by taking part in a project (that is yet to be defined).

Rolling Eyes
watersoul
Bluedoll wrote:
I want to in the near future associate with a few people to create an online place (world, 3d chat, interactive community) for the purpose of learning about computers and interacting together on a common project together

I reckon you're in the perfect place Bluedoll, keep posting here, reply to threads that interest you, and check out the Computers/Webmaster and Internet/Scripting forums, they're always pretty active and I'll be honest there are some lovely people there who will always help with any "developer type" things you ever get stuck with.

Frihost is a lovely zone to share your stuff/ideas/whatever, because anyone horrible gets thrashed by the amazing mod's we've got...and there's a world of technical knowledge amongst the poster's here more than willing to help out with your ideas - who know's maybe a few will want to get involved as well? ...just gotta find them, and threads like this will always help in your mission!

Good luck anyway
Smile
ForceRun
I generally make friends on steam: www.steampowered.com It is not really setup for it, but that is were I play my games so those are the people I start to hang with. Also I help run the Sacramento Gaming community, and in working to build that I get the chance to meet the people that i know online in real life.
Denvis
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
Denvis wrote:

Thats hunnyhiteshseth and not gunnhiteshseth!

Shocked Sorry! I didn't notice that typo, so very sorry, Hunnyhiteshseth!
Ghost900
You can definitely start with Facebook or some other tool and use some available chats or forums for such things. If you want to start your own it is best to have a decent number of people that you would want to join you and participate to make it more active.

Example, if you have a forum and you are the only user then others are not really going to want to join, but if you have fifteen users then some may want to join the forum, and if you have hundreds of users then lots of people with similar interests are going to want to join. Kinda like a snowball, the bigger it is the more people will join.
ninjakannon
Ghost900 wrote:
You can definitely start with Facebook or some other tool and use some available chats or forums for such things.

How could one start with Facebook?

You could surely only create a group for this kind of thing. But then who would join to seriously take part?
Twotone
Bluedoll wrote:

Ah sorry for misinterpreting in my previous reply I have now reread your original post along with other replies...so here are a few suggestions Smile

First of all I think you have your goal defined and making a web site as you say is a good first step. Once you define exactly what you want to happen within the "group" then you have to attract people to your site, this can be done in a number of ways, eg posting on forums with similar interests, clever wording for search engines (the purpose of the group needs to be attractive) and other ways.

Secondly I think you need to decide on a platform for interaction, be it forums, blogs , social networking sites or a 3d enviroment. Personally I think the last option is interesting, the idea of 3d avatars sitting around an chatting about a topic on the screen in front of you gives a much for "intimate" feel to the whole thing.
Also setting up a "place" within a 3d world means you already have in place structures for advertising, group mail and the option to offer "freebies" to members to keep them coming back.

Still thinking about this as virtual worlds and social interaction on the internet interest me. Keep posting.

Hope this helps.
chatrack
I have online chat in yahoo. I used to be active in orkut also, many of my old friends at school
I met online from abroad. I thing online community is good for interaction
Crinoid
Bluedoll, just create a website with a forum and chat, you know how to do that, being the Frihost member since 2007.

Submit your site to the search engine directories, digg, stumbleupon, reddit, add link to it in a signature line when you are posting where the similar-minded people could be.
Sooner or later search engine crawlers will find your website and it become available to the others.

Straightforward operational procedure.
Will they come or not, this is another question. Do your best to keep it alive and add own information regularly.

I tried, in different area, but failed. But best of luck to you!
Insanity
I think games are a good way to meet people. Some games that are MMORPGs allow for friendships to develop easy as you can work together to accomplish goals and form guilds and clans to stick together. After you get to know each other, you can branch out to other forms of communication like IM, email or phone.
_AVG_
Yeah. I agree. I make so many friends while playing Poker online.

Besides that, Face Book is a good web site to keep up with old school friends and of course, relatives who live in far off towns.

I used to but no I don't chat on MSN Messenger much.
guissmo
Isn't trust a usual issue? Or a commitment to the site, so you get to connect and all? Very Happy
ankitdatashn
Bluedoll wrote:
Hello to you too ankitdatashn and thank you so much for sharing your adventures. Smile

Anytime Yaar(yaar means friend), Internet is such a vast world, so many people, every nook and corner of it we find such vivid experiences.

Anyhow, Internet is a very good medium to stay connected with out school and college pals!
mtorregiani
Internet is great for keeping old classmates or partners in touch, but I'll always prefer to actually visit the people or just hang around with them...
jabce85
when i was around 14 i met a girl around the same age as me in some chatroom on aol talking about making our own website.. we kept in touch after that for a couple years, but then didn't talk for around 4 years... recently we found each other again, except this time on facebook.. anyway, there's really not a strong moral to this story except that the internet is a strange place and much smaller than we sometimes think it is
ninjakannon
jabce85 wrote:
anyway, there's really not a strong moral to this story except that the internet is a strange place and much smaller than we sometimes think it is

Because people will only visit pages or 'places' of interest on the internet, you're more likely than you think to meet someone twice. While the internet is a big 'place', you won't actually visit much of it at all.
tuenti_login
beautifull!
Bluedoll
Just want to thank everyone that posted on this one because it was helpful!

Perhaps the internet is a big place but that doesn’t mean it is not possible to interact with a few people in the world that share the same interests and talk about them together.
guth75
I would find a website with things you are into, example, Sports, then use forums or a chat room they have, Its the best way to find people you will enjoy talking to.
biljap
I’ve met some people online who live close to me but I would never meet live without Internet… I also recovered some old friendships that got lost through years, and I’ve made some friends from other countries. But…
I don’t know how real those friendships are. Off course, there are exceptions, but if you don’t see that persons live form time to time… I think that these kinds of relationships have too die at some point of time.
airh3ad
Just tried to make myself open to others, tried to show them the "real" me and not prejudge anyone. I've met people through making my move (the 2 girls I stayed with when I first got here), work (my new office mate and colleagues), and where I live (neighbors). I'm open to making more, though and I make most of my new friends by making connections through other people. Inside jokes can always spark a friendship. Find something that you can relate to another things is way to make friends is to do things. I didn't start making friends until I started going out and participating in things and thereby putting myself constantly around other human beings.
pscompanies
ninjakannon wrote:
jabce85 wrote:
anyway, there's really not a strong moral to this story except that the internet is a strange place and much smaller than we sometimes think it is

Because people will only visit pages or 'places' of interest on the internet, you're more likely than you think to meet someone twice. While the internet is a big 'place', you won't actually visit much of it at all.

I do agree. The net is after all like the Universe. Although the Universe is huge, all of us live on Earth and so it's highly likely to meet the same people again and again. There is even the saying "It's a small world".
goutha
I don't really make friends on the net. I have few people that I know from frihost, but they are not really my friends.

I use real life to find my friends Smile Sorry guys
Bluedoll
Guess, I could have defined what I meant by friends better but that is ok, like reading the posts anyway. Razz

What I meant by online friend is someone that shares the same kind of interests and you can easily communicate with them without hostility. The opposite would be a bully I guess. Evil or Very Mad

In any case if a person does want to 'get to know' someone else by computer interaction of some kind, examples would be in writing, sharing creativity and generally supporting each other. What are some ways that we can find people who use computers for this purpose? Is it getting more and more complicated?

Now there has been some kindly responses and suggestions including not trying to reinvent the wheel but use what exists on the internet presently.

Of course, I am interested in making a web site using the available space that frihost provides but not sure what it takes to get that on someone else’s computer screen.
ninjakannon
Bluedoll wrote:
... Is it getting more and more complicated?

It's getting easier and easier! With the introduction of social networking, the ease at which you can create websites, forums and groups and with easily findable groups of people with specific interests it has never been so easy.
deanhills
goutha wrote:
I don't really make friends on the net. I have few people that I know from frihost, but they are not really my friends.

I use real life to find my friends Smile Sorry guys
Good idea! Sounds as though you have your feet firmly on the ground. Sometimes looking on the Internet for friends may be running away from reality of life. Nothing wrong with it, as long as you know that it is not real. Also good to keep in mind that like every where in real life there are also baddies on the Internet, waiting for those people who are looking for friends on the Internet. Some of them are so good at it, one won't recognize who they are until it is too late.
Bluedoll
I guess we sometimes have to consider what a friend is? A friend can be someone we confide in or it can be simply someone you do business with.

I know in life I’ve had a variety. I’ve shared a common interest or traded something maybe to help the other person. We find we sometimes get more out of giving something to a friend than all the sleazy advertising campaigns. I suppose that is why an interactive community or a buddy arrangement is sometimes really appealing. Unfortunately there are those that abuse the privilege but that is life too. Let’s hope they are a minority for us.

Why is it I see more ‘real’ similarities concerning online activity than differences, less of an escape and more of the same kind of things as an extension of real life? Do we really get to know the other person that well, sometimes even those most close to us?
supernova1987a
Because some people do not know how to keep privacy on the internet and that they do not want to learn, they do not want to be friends on the internet. I have seen people meet on the internet and then choose to marry after just chatting for months. Well, it hasn't worked for me though! Wink I'd rather meet in real than online though. Its too superficial or whatever you say it....

But keeping track of friends online is truly amazing. Facebook, myspace or any other website work really good. Its wonderful how people came up with such websites. Now, no friends are lost anymore. You can connect to your childhood classmate and never forget those cherisable memories.

Cool Best of Luck!
paskifire
Insanity wrote:
I think games are a good way to meet people. Some games that are MMORPGs allow for friendships to develop easy as you can work together to accomplish goals and form guilds and clans to stick together. After you get to know each other, you can branch out to other forms of communication like IM, email or phone.

I agree with Insanity. By helping each other on a certain task(inside or outside the game), there will be a bond between the players (if MMORPGs). The cycle continues. If you need help on a certain quest etc, you will call for help and in return of that help provided by your online friends, then you must help them also if help is needed. For me, meeting new people inside cyberspace is an amazing thing. Smile
Devilizer
I work with people from Sweden on my website, one has come to visit me, and i plan on visiting them this summer. There probably one of the coolest people I've met and I've known them for years. Really good dudes.
Parkour_Jarrod
I have many internet friends, they have even helped me through depression and attempted suicide, i think of one of them as my sister...

Internet friends are actually good Smile Very Happy
Greatking
making friends on the net. i guess its great. u get to know people on line and then probably speak on phone or schedule a meeting just so you see the person. its fun and great.
Bluedoll
supernova1987a wrote:
Because some people do not know how to keep privacy on the internet and that they do not want to learn, they do not want to be friends on the internet.

My interest is simply to make online friends and not to extend the relationship into real life but I can understand about privacy issues online. That of course happens anywhere and needs to be understood. I am the kind of person that likes to be open and free to do anything or say anything spontaniously. I don’t like feeling like a secret agent or afraid to say what I am thinking even if it is wrong. It is how we learn. However, when someone asks me to keep a secret, I like to have an idea of what it is about first then tell the person I can or may not be able to do that and if it is just something they are sharing I keep it. Not everyone is the same however so it is a risk. Is it a reason to not trust to the point of being unfriendly though?

paskifire wrote:
By helping each other on a certain task(inside or outside the game), there will be a bond between the players

That sounds great to me. I like that idea however much too often I am disappointed with giving giving giving and not recieving but do appreciate when it does happen both ways.

I’m glad to see people have made friends online it is a light in dark space.
Schyllic
Maybe secondlife is what you are looking for?
You mentioned 3d online chat world, that's what pops into my head.
http://secondlife.com
Bluedoll
Actually, I am now and have been using an online chat program for quite sometime but somewhat dissatisfied with the community in general. My original question although not clarified was asking for tips on how a person with a web site might be able to reach out and target specific people and invite them.
speeDemon
the only thing i would add is, that you should consider making a website which not only connects like-minded people together, bt also provides content like articles for them to munch upon, and comment upon... this will bring them back for more and more, and even make them consistent members..

it shouldnt just bring people together, it should get them talking and thinking..!
goutha
If you already have friends in your real life, I don't think that you'll need to make friends online.
Insanity
It's okay to have online friends, as long as they're not the majority of your friends. If all your friends are virtual, or you only know them from the web, that's not really a good sign. The internet is a great place to find and meet new people though, so take that with a grain of salt. Also, there are stories of people making it as couples when they've met online through a game, or a dating website or what not. But yeah, online friends are good to have because they can expand on your cultural perspective of what people are like from halfway around the world without actually having to be there. It's nice that way in that it saves money and gas and lets you have more friends. Plus with the advent of the webcam and skype and what not, there's more realism involved in it than ever, though of course you're still restricted to being on the computer the whole time.
Bluedoll
speeDemon wrote:
the only thing i would add is, that you should consider making a website which not only connects like-minded people together, bt also provides content like articles for them to munch upon, and comment upon... this will bring them back for more and more, and even make them consistent members..

it shouldnt just bring people together, it should get them talking and thinking..!
It is posts like this that really get to me big time!!!!! They make my day, they get me thinking in the right direction and give the kind of encouragement that I really need because it does make sense to me and gets me going in the right direction, that is, the direction I really want to go.
Thank you!

goutha wrote:
If you already have friends in your real life, I don't think that you'll need to make friends online.
I follow your reasoning and agree with it but also think I want both. Why not?

Insanity wrote:
It's okay to have online friends, as long as they're not the majority of your friends. If all your friends are virtual, or you only know them from the web, that's not really a good sign. The internet is a great place to find and meet new people though, so take that with a grain of salt. Also, there are stories of people making it as couples when they've met online through a game, or a dating website or what not. But yeah, online friends are good to have because they can expand on your cultural perspective of what people are like from halfway around the world without actually having to be there. It's nice that way in that it saves money and gas and lets you have more friends. Plus with the advent of the webcam and skype and what not, there's more realism involved in it than ever, though of course you're still restricted to being on the computer the whole time.
You are so right and it is so great to be able to use this stuff. However, I am kind of angry at myself at the moment for not being more constructive in my post. Getting it right the first time saves time later on. I didn’t actually mean friends like in real friends we meet in our life, I meant friends as in friendly online folks with computers going for good as opposed to the enemy that seems to be out there in wired world too. May I use the illustration of a tank firing a round of shells hopefully not at the friendly’s. Rolling Eyes