FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ssh access

sigT
I'm on Server 4 and my Shell Access (ssh) is set to OFF, which can be seen in DirectAdmin statistics.

Can I enable this feature, say, by making a request after accumulating enough forum points? If the feature is disabled permanently, I'd like to know the reason why this is done, and why my home directory still has .bashrc in it. Smile

This seems to be a rather popular sort of a question, however, at the moment I cannot use forum search since it displays Server Error whatever the request is.
rvec
yeah the search server is down somehow.

No server has ssh enabled because of the security risk, and this file is still there because on linux every user has one.
sigT
rvec wrote:
No server has ssh enabled because of the security risk, and this file is still there because on linux every user has one.

I can believe in potential risks. However, it's not the case that every linux user should have .bashrc. This is up to admins actually. The file might well be removed from the directory useradd takes default homedir contents from.

I think there could be a reason for keeping .bashrc for the case some privileged users are still granted ssh access despite security restrictions drawn upon all other users.
rvec
sigT wrote:
I think there could be a reason for keeping .bashrc for the case some privileged users are still granted ssh access despite security restrictions drawn upon all other users.

Possible, but I can only think of 2 users that could have shell access. It's probably just still there because it's there by default.
decent_31bs
Hope the admin will allow us to connect using ssh. this is really a great feature..
Bondings
I will never allow it, sorry. It becomes way too easy for users to exploit the system or for hacked websites to exploit the whole server.
thedinh
thanks admin. I think using shell is so dangerous, all website and server maybe hacked by shell.
And I think Admin is all right.