FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Spam on Blogs

Ghost Rider103
I figured out the other day that commenting on a blog here at Frihost counts as a post.

So I would believe that the same rules apply to posting on blogs as the forums. Just about all the blogs here at Frihost have a pretty good amount of spam.

For example, see this blog post here: http://www.frihost.com/users/Bondings/blog/vp-81093.html

I don't mean to point fingers at anyone, but there is a LOT of spam messages of just "Nice!" or "Really Cool!" which I believe is considered spam here at Frihost.

I know we should report spam when we see it, however I do believe that the staff should also take part in searching for spam as well. I feel like a spotter for spam and mistakes sometimes, and the staff is just the shooter.

I understand you guys cannot catch all of it, however the amount of spam on the blog posts are ridiculous.

I really am beginning to think hiring more staff is a must for Frihost. Spam rate seems to have increased, as well as people posting threads in the wrong forums (which pi**es me off).
Peterssidan
The frihost definition of spam (found in the report page):
Quote:
A post promoting a website, service or entity - this one is not meant for poor quality posts (strict definition of spam).

so this isn't spam. But I too think it's not good to have a lot of meaningless comments in the blogs. But blog comments are much more informal and spontaneous so it's harder to define strict rules. The only solution I can think of is to turn off points for the blog comments.
Hogwarts
Peterssidan wrote:
so this isn't spam. But I too think it's not good to have a lot of meaningless comments in the blogs. But blog comments are much more informal and spontaneous so it's harder to define strict rules. The only solution I can think of is to turn off points for the blog comments.

What about the idea of people not being spontaneous and actually commenting with something useful? This isn't MySpace, stupid, useless, spammy comments aren't a requirement Sad
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
The frihost definition of spam (found in the report page):
Quote:
A post promoting a website, service or entity - this one is not meant for poor quality posts (strict definition of spam).

Under the reporting function (i.e. the one on the top right - the red cross) of the posting there is a list of "no no's" to click against, and there is an option for the postings that Ghost_rider refers to, so it can be reported:

Quote:
Poor Quality Posts (Posts with a very poor quality or very short and without any real meaning.)

In addition, in the Bondings "Rules related to posts" there is a rule that would be applicable:
Quote:
Do not post anything that doesn't contribute to the topic (such as "lol", "haha").

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-13011.html
Peterssidan
But it says "Frihost Forum Rules". Does the same rules apply for the blogs too?
rvec
Peterssidan wrote:
No, we don't really have rules for the blogs. I sometimes go there (and probably some other staff members as well) and spamcan some double-posts, copy-pastes and warez, but most posts are just left there (especially comments).
ocalhoun
Perhaps the author of each particular blog should be in charge of preventing spam on that blog, and be able to delete comments?

Then, moderators would only have to worry about the author's blog posts, which is apparently all they do now, really.
Vrythramax
Peterssidan wrote:

The Rules for posting apply to the entire forum...including the Blogs.
Ghost Rider103
The blogs are apart of the forums, aren't they? So the forum rules really should apply for the blogs as well. Especially because blog comments count for points and posts (not sure on frih$) so therefore it is apart of the forums, so the rules should apply for blogs as well.

I think letting the author of the blog be in charge of the comments is a pretty good idea. It probably won't happen but it would be a good idea.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I think letting the author of the blog be in charge of the comments is a pretty good idea. It probably won't happen but it would be a good idea.
Good idea! either that, or de-activating blog-related points, although the latter would be negative for getting people to check out the blogs (no incentive other than the blogs themselves), also we're working at getting to the million posting mark. Just wish people could somehow be motivated to post meaningful comments on blogs, as reaching million postings with a large number of meaningless ones, isn't good either. If it would look quite obvious that some of the postings in the blogs are below standard, possibly there should be attention paid to it, i.e. as per Ocalhoun and Ghost Rider's suggestion for letting the blog owners take care of those below standard postings in their blogs, that moderators have not picked on. It would obviously have to be part of the rules, where power has officially been given to the blog owners to contribute to the moderating of their own blogs, so that they won't be breaking the cardinal rule against "back seat" moderating. Smile
Ghost Rider103
Now if only we can somehow convince Bondings to take on the project to make it work, that would be great.

Would be great if we could convince Bondings to do a lot of other things as well. Laughing