FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PUNK ROCK

caporegime
let's talk about punk rock, hardcore, everything under the punk rock umbrella.
gverutes
what do you define as punk rock?! everyone has a different interpretation these days.
Radar
Mmm. I'd jump in and say that it's awesome, and start listing a few bands, but I'm cautious about how widely, or narrowly, other people are going to define it.
gverutes
the reason I ask is because like Country music -- there is really good and really bad country. before I get too emotionally invested in this thread I'd like to know what type of punk we are talking about...
David_Pardy
When I was a teenager, I listened to these particular punk bands:

Mxpx
Frenzal Rhomb
Blink 182
Propagandhi
Good Riddance
Strung Out
Seraphs Coal
One Dollar Short (local band, got a bit of international recognition before disbanding)
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes

I had bits and pieces of a few others which everyone else seemed to like but I never really got into:

Millencollin
Lagwagon
Dogwood
Ten Foot Pole
Green Day
Plus several others...

I still listen to some of the first group at times... Mainly Frenzal Rhomb, Good Riddance and Mxpx. I listen to Strung Out sometimes still, but the only album I really enjoy of theirs anymore is Twisted by Design and you can only listen to the same album over and over so many times before it gets old Wink.

I used to play drums in punk bands a bit as well... I learnt a whole lot from punk drumming. It really helped with my timing and building up my chops really early on as a drummer. Of course, you're limited in your development by the genre so you can't just negate the rest of your drumming and expect to develop quickly.

These days I listen to more laid-back and heavier stuff... Symphony X, Porcupine Tree, On the Virg, Dream Theater, Planet X, Shadow Gallery, Kamelot. I love well written, good sounding music as well as some simpler pieces, and I love SOME technical stuff. Punk music tends to get old really quickly for me these days.
tukun2009manit
caporegime wrote:

umbrella is given by rehana but i like avril for punk rock
desonium
tukun2009manit wrote:
caporegime wrote:

Jeah but he doesn't mean that umbrella. He means everything what fits in the genre of punk rock.

I dont listen punk rock much, because I don't like the genre. I listen it sometimes, when it comes on the radio, but I shall never search for a punk song Cool

grtz
gverutes
Nice. I love Lagwagon. Saw their lead singer at a random bar in San Diego. My friend started heckling him because he was "covering" Lagwagon songs. He later was ashamed to realize he made a fool of himself.
Christ0phe
The Ramones were an American rock band often regarded as the first punk rock group. All of the band members adopted pseudonyms ending with the surname "Ramone", though none of them were actually related. They performed 2,263 concerts, touring virtually nonstop for 22 years. In 1996, after a tour with the Lollapalooza music festival, the band played a farewell show and disbanded. A little more than eight years after the breakup, the band's three founding members—lead singer Joey Ramone, guitarist Johnny Ramone, and bassist Dee Dee Ramone—were dead.

The Ramones were a major influence on the punk rock movement both in the United States and the United Kingdom, though they achieved only minor commercial success. Their only record with enough U.S. sales to be certified gold was the compilation album Ramones Mania. Recognition of the band's importance built over the years, and they are now cited in many assessments of all-time great rock music, such as the Rolling Stone lists of the 50 Greatest Artists of All Time and VH1's 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock. In 2002, the Ramones were ranked the second greatest band of all time by Spin magazine, trailing only The Beatles. On March 18, 2002, the Ramones—including the three founders and drummers Marky and Tommy Ramone—were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
[from Wiki]
gverutes
I saw a Youtube video of Avril covering Basket Case...quite possibly the worst cover I have ever seen. She's bad.
David_Pardy
Avril isn't punk, and she's not good at it either.

She's just another 'alternative rock' act, just like all those faux-punk bands.
gverutes
true -- she's SkaterGirl poser
Ryo13
recent bands i like is Four Year Strong and Set Your Goals. combining Pop-Punk/Melodic/Hardcore genre into their tunes. therefore their sounds are very fresh.
gverutes
yea, but I can't stand their voices -- they sound like little girls or they are singing through an electric keyboard.
musikislyfe17
I define alot of different bands as types of "Punk"...

I think that punk is any kind of music that you can label as Rebellious...to me that means that alot of bands fall into that category...!

I guess my favorites would have to be: Sum 41, The Ramones, Yellowcard, Rancid, Good Charlotte, Sex Pistols, Green Day, The Misfits, Blink 182, and The Dead Kennedys[:
leomanlapera
according to google definition

Punk is:

punk rock: rock music with deliberately offensive lyrics expressing anger and social alienation; in part a reaction against progressive rock
rogue_skydragon
God Save the Queen.....long live the Sex Pistols! I think they are the most notable of Punk Rock bands, if not THE ORIGINAL punk rock band.
_AVG_
I'm not that much into Punk Rock. I like heavier stuff like Metallica or Iron Maiden. (Of course, I'm a hardcore metal fan) but Punk Rock is decent.

BTW, I have a question - Is Nickleback considered Punk Rock ?
The_unnamed_label
gverutes wrote:
I saw a Youtube video of Avril covering Basket Case...quite possibly the worst cover I have ever seen. She's bad.

This was the worse performance EVER!!
The_unnamed_label
Has anyone of you ever seen Green Day live? they are simply amazing on stage.. definitely make the difference with "studio bands"...
I've been lucky enough to see them in secret and private shows (200 guests ish) and went on stage with them... and in huge venues such as Wembley stadium (I think its 82000 peeps) and they always are as good! great band.
flyingplatypus
Hello ,

I particularly classify "Blink 182" and "Green Day" as "pop punk" or "pre-emo" , though I like then both and I don't like emo and screamo. :-)
emanuel2
Avril and punk, hm...ok, I you really think Very Happy
back in the day it was all about rough and dirty, (not the xtina kind of dirty)

I loved punk rock as a teen, nowadays I still
listen to punk and hardcore I a good release comes out. However at the time my favored kind of punk is psychobilly like The Creepshow or Tiger Army. Also like german punk (not the nazi bullshit)
captainsuperdude
The Distillers first 2 albums were cool.
emanuel2
captainsuperdude wrote:
The Distillers first 2 albums were cool.

The Distillers are really great, it was the first punk band with female focus I learned of...and there are not many of such bands
drummer
love this kind of musicccc
rogue_skydragon
If you're talking about REAL punk, the most notable bands would be the Sex Pistols and the Ramones. Legends, man!
erahost
Rock music is a genre of popular music that developed during and after the 1960s, particularly in the United Kingdom and the United States. It has its roots in 1940s and 1950s rock and roll, itself heavily influenced by rhythm and blues and country music. Rock music also drew strongly on a number of other genres such as blues and folk, and incorporated influences from jazz, classical and other musical sources.
Musically, rock has centred around the electric guitar, usually as part of a rock group with bass guitar and drums. Typically, rock is song-based music with a 4/4 beat utilizing a verse-chorus form, but the genre has become extremely diverse and common musical characteristics are difficult to define. Like pop music, lyrics often stress romantic love but also address a wide variety of other themes that are frequently social or political in emphasis. The dominance of rock by white, male musicians has been seen as one of the key factors shaping the themes explored in rock music. Rock places a higher degree of emphasis on musicianship, live performance, and an ideology of authenticity than pop music.
By the late 1960s a number of distinct rock music sub-genres had emerged, including hybrids like folk rock, blues-rock, country rock and jazz-rock fusion, many of which contributed to the development of psychedelic rock influenced by the counter-cultural psychedelic scene. New genres that emerged from this scene included progressive rock, which extended the artistic elements; glam rock, which highlighted showmanship and visual style, and the diverse and enduring major sub-genre of heavy metal, which emphasized volume, power and speed. In the second half of the 1970s, punk rock both intensified and reacted against some of these trends to produce a raw, energetic form of music characterized by overt political and social critiques. Punk was an influence into the 1980s on the subsequent development of other sub-genres, including New Wave, post punk and eventually the alternative rock movement. From the 1990s alternative rock began to dominate rock music and break through into the mainstream in the form of grunge, Britpop, and indie rock. Further fusion sub-genres have since emerged, including pop punk, rap rock, and rap metal, as well as conscious attempts to revisit rock's history, including the garage rock/post punk revival at the beginning of the new millennium.
Rock music has also embodied and served as the vehicle for cultural and social movements, leading to major sub-cultures including mods and rockers in the UK and the "hippie" counterculture that spread out from San Francisco in the US in the 1960s. Similarly, 1970s punk culture spawned the visually distinctive goth and emo subcultures. Inheriting the folk tradition of the protest song, rock music has been associated with political activism as well as changes in social attitudes to race, sex and drug use, and is often seen as an expression of youth revolt against adult consumerism and conformity.
Nintendo
The above post... all copied from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music

o_O.

I used to be a big fan of Less than Jake, mainly with their album "The Anthem". It was full of some really great tracks. LTJ are a ska-punk band though, commonly using horns throughout many of their tracks, as opposed to punk rock which focuses a lot more on the heavy guitars.
rocking
desonium wrote:
tukun2009manit wrote:
caporegime wrote:

Jeah but he doesn't mean that umbrella. He means everything what fits in the genre of punk rock.

I dont listen punk rock much, because I don't like the genre. I listen it sometimes, when it comes on the radio, but I shall never search for a punk song Cool

grtz

I lol'd Very Happy
Avrill either not punk rock. It is pop. maybe pop rock.

And yes punk is cool, When I was younger I used to go to punk rock show almost every weekend....
tomisme
When it comes to punk rock bands, Sex Pistols is always the first name that came up to my mind.
R.I.P to Malcolm McLaren.
portoskt
ramones rules forever
Blummer
Yes Ramones. In fact I don't get the new punk. The ideas have changed and there is no old motivation in punk. Gone good old days. Though I could listen to new band, the oldies are always better for me.