FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

2 GB of DDr2 ram sticks

Itachi69
Well my computer currently has 2 ram sticks that are 2 GB's each and they work pretty well,but I'm thinking about buying 2 of the 4 GB DDR2 ram sticks to help improve my computers performance.

Only downfall is that their 124 dollars a piece x_x

Does anyone think it's worth it,or is it just too much just for a little better performance?
leontius
Two 4 GB RAMs means that your total memory goes beyond 4 GB, so you will need to use a 64-bit operating system (if you don't know about this then your system is most probably 32-bit). If not then you won't get any improvement.
saratdear
Unless you do something like 3d rendering, video encoding, etc. I guess you won't really see any performance increase. Because after a certain point, just how faster could you make things? Just my opinion, though.
ocalhoun
Press ctrl+alt+delete, and choose task manager in the window that pops up.
Switch to the performance tab.

While going through normal daily tasks, watch the meter on the performance monitor that tells you how much of your memory you're using.

If that meter goes close to or up to 100% very often, then yes, you do need more RAM.

If that meter never goes very high, then you don't need any more RAM, save your money for a different upgrade. If it never goes above, say, 70% during normal use, then RAM is probably not a good use for your money.

You might also consider buying just one 4GB ram chip. With a 2 and a 4, you'd have 6, instead of the 4 you have now.
It might be that 6 is enough to get a major performance boost, and that you don't really need 8.

You might also want to investigate buying just one 6GB or 8GB RAM chip instead (giving you 8GB or 10GB total, respectively)... It might possibly be cheaper that way, but make sure your motherboard can support chips that big before buying!

Also, you can save money by selling the old 2GB chip(s) on Ebay. (AFTER you've tested the new one(s)!)

Check with your motherboard's manual to make sure that it can support 8GB of RAM before buying the chips! There's a small chance that it can't, and that buying more RAM (without a new motherboard to go with it) would be a waste of money.
r4inm4ker
I agree that unless you do some advanced 3D things or image processing using photoshop (for example doing some operations with 8192x8192 bitmap image) with 64-bit OS, the performance gain wouldn't be that noticeable.
hunnyhiteshseth
leontius wrote:
Two 4 GB RAMs means that your total memory goes beyond 4 GB, so you will need to use a 64-bit operating system (if you don't know about this then your system is most probably 32-bit). If not then you won't get any improvement.

Firstly, advising you same as ocalhoun to first check your actual usage and then decide whether you need more RAM or not.

but if you do decide to upgrade and have 32- bit operating system, you can still use Page Extension technology(PAE) to address upto 32GB of memory.
aningbo
Itachi69 wrote:
Well my computer currently has 2 ram sticks that are 2 GB's each and they work pretty well,but I'm thinking about buying 2 of the 4 GB DDR2 ram sticks to help improve my computers performance.

Only downfall is that their 124 dollars a piece x_x

Does anyone think it's worth it,or is it just too much just for a little better performance?

remember that windows xp doesnt support more than 3GB and also, check on other products and their compatibility.

which system is that? a little info about ur system would help i guess.