FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Interlaken

SazJay
I have just been on my third visit, in summer this time. It was pretty busy but I guess thats because it wasn't -15 like in February!!
It is my favourite holiday destination when I am travelling alone because its so easy, there are nice places to stay, 1000s of things to do and nice places to eat. Language isnt a problem, you just have to pick one!
Coming from Milan on the train is even better, you leave the stinky dirty and somewhat dangerous city and its as though that tunnel through the Alps deposits you in paradise! Interlaken itself is not that amazing, what is amazing is the surrounding Bernese Oberland, The Eiger and Jungfrau mountains as a backdrop to just about every kind of activity you can think of to do outdoors.
I first went to go paragliding for my 31st birthday, 10years after I first did it. (for those that dont know thats throwing yourself off a mountain with a parachute) This time I went white water rafting on the Lutschine and hiking in the awesome area of the Lauterbrunnen valley.
It was my third but definitely not my last visit.
deanhills
Thanks for posting this. It is right on. When I was visiting Switzerland some years ago, I had thought of doing one of their tours that ended up at Interlaken, and now you have given me an idea to do it from Milan instead. Have put this on the list of a short visit for sure. Sounds absolutely spectacular. What was the train like, did it have plenty of windows to make the best of the journey?
mikakiev
Interlaken and other well-known names of mountains excited me! Your trip sounds fabulous.
To tell the truth, first I imagined an extreme mountaineering in winter....Of course, it won't be for ordinary person like me.Summer activities sound good.
gverutes
Interlaken is great but quite expensive and hard to get to. Also, a lot of American tourists -- more than I expected. Stay at Balmers Herberge and go on the all-day canyoning trip. You will not regret it.