FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"Vitamin D"

bigt
I recently heard some new (to me) information on Vitamin D. Wikipedia says, "Vitamin D is a group of fat-soluble prohormones." It's not really a vitamin like the other main ones; A, B, C, etc.

The main conclusion was most of us are D deficient. It's in very few of our foods and we need some sunlight for the chemical reactions. Part of the problem is most likely related to people being inside and out of the sun more these days.

What do you know about D and do you know the level of it in your body? Eat right and stay healthy.
deanhills
bigt wrote:
I recently heard some new (to me) information on Vitamin D. Wikipedia says, "Vitamin D is a group of fat-soluble prohormones." It's not really a vitamin like the other main ones; A, B, C, etc.

The main conclusion was most of us are D deficient. It's in very few of our foods and we need some sunlight for the chemical reactions. Part of the problem is most likely related to people being inside and out of the sun more these days.

What do you know about D and do you know the level of it in your body? Eat right and stay healthy.
A naturopath of Vancouver BC Canada, Dr. John Matsen recommends Vitamin D3 from fish oil source, Vitamin D sources are not equal, the alternative being from irradiated yeat:

http://www.ndaccess.com/EatingAlive/Page_Detail.asp?PageID=22&CommentID=40

He has an interesting explanation about the interaction of absorption of Vitamin D and consumption of high potassium foods such as fruits. Apparently when one eats fresh fruit, the body seems to think that it is in a summer climate, so the kidneys send a message for the body to absorb less Vitamin D. Dr. Matsen's suggestion is to always have salt with high potassium foods, so as to ensure the absorption of Vitamin D. Also interesting that Calcium plays a great role with Vitamin D in strenghtening the ileocecal valve.
jwellsy
All I know about vitamin D is that it does help clear up psoriasis. If the psoriasis is on your legs, then wear shorts and spend time outside exposing it to the sun.

What do you call a guy with psoriasis in a hot tub? Stew! Laughing
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
What do you call a guy with psoriasis in a hot tub? Stew! Laughing
Yuck! Gross! I guess the good old traditional ingredients for health are sunshine, fresh air, natural water and fresh produce. These supplements could potentially be toxic for our bodies. When I look at the breakdown of what the supplements are supposed to contain, i.e. 600 Calcium, etc, I wonder how much of it gets digested, or if some of it does make through digestion, how much actually gets absorbed.
leontius
"Vitamin" D is not vitamin because strictly speaking, a vitamin is a chemical substance that cannot be produced by the body. However the body can indeed produce "vitamin" D from nutrients and sunshine, besides taking it directly from diet. Other vitamins (A, B, C etc.) cannot be produced in human body.
bsbteng
Vitamin D is a secosteroid of nutritional origin but can also be generated in the skin by ultraviolet light. After two hydroxylations 1,25-(OH)2 vitamin D avidly binds and activates the vitamin D receptor (VDR), a nuclear transcription factor, hereby regulating a large number of genes. The generation of VDR deficient mice has expanded the knowledge on vitamin D from a calcium-regulating hormone to a humoral factor with extensive actions. The effects of the vitamin D system on calcium and bone homeostasis are largely mediated by promoting active intestinal calcium transport via the induction of the epithelial calcium channel TRPV6. Although VDR is redundant in bone, it may regulate the differentiation and function of several bone cells. In skin, VDR expression in keratinocytes is essential in a ligand-independent manner for the maintenance of the normal hair cycle. Therefore, VDR but not vitamin D deficiency results in alopecia. Moreover, 1,25-(OH)2 vitamin D impairs the proliferation not only of keratinocytes but also of many cell types by regulating the expression of cell cycle genes, leading to a G1 cell cycle arrest. In addition, VDR inactivation in mice results in high renin hypertension, cardiac hypertrophy and thrombogenesis. Finally, a dual effect of vitamin D was observed in the immune system where it stimulates the innate immune system while tapering down excessive activation of the acquired immune system. Taken together, the vitamin D endocrine system not only regulates calcium homeostasis but affects several systems mainly by altering gene expression but also by ligand-independent actions.
leontius
bsbteng wrote:
Vitamin D is a secosteroid of nutritional origin but can also be generated in the skin by ultraviolet light. After two hydroxylations 1,25-(OH)2 vitamin D avidly binds and activates the vitamin D receptor (VDR), a nuclear transcription factor, hereby regulating a large number of genes. The generation of VDR deficient mice has expanded the knowledge on vitamin D from a calcium-regulating hormone to a humoral factor with extensive actions. The effects of the vitamin D system on calcium and bone homeostasis are largely mediated by promoting active intestinal calcium transport via the induction of the epithelial calcium channel TRPV6. Although VDR is redundant in bone, it may regulate the differentiation and function of several bone cells. In skin, VDR expression in keratinocytes is essential in a ligand-independent manner for the maintenance of the normal hair cycle. Therefore, VDR but not vitamin D deficiency results in alopecia. Moreover, 1,25-(OH)2 vitamin D impairs the proliferation not only of keratinocytes but also of many cell types by regulating the expression of cell cycle genes, leading to a G1 cell cycle arrest. In addition, VDR inactivation in mice results in high renin hypertension, cardiac hypertrophy and thrombogenesis. Finally, a dual effect of vitamin D was observed in the immune system where it stimulates the innate immune system while tapering down excessive activation of the acquired immune system. Taken together, the vitamin D endocrine system not only regulates calcium homeostasis but affects several systems mainly by altering gene expression but also by ligand-independent actions.

Please quote if you copy from external sources, or else it's plagiarism. Source is http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17161336?dopt=Abstract
Crinoid
You may laugh, but vitamin D3 really helps in case of osteoarthritis. Wish, I knew this sooner Smile
tukun2009manit
bigt wrote:

i studied in school that we need sunlight to make vitamin D for our body the conclusion is that vitamin d is synthesiesed in the body
bsbteng
Vitamin D is a group of fat-soluble prohormones, the two major forms of which are vitamin D2 (or ergocalciferol) and vitamin D3 (or cholecalciferol).[1] Vitamin D obtained from sun exposure, food, and supplements, is biologically inert and must undergo two hydroxylation reactions to be activated in the body. Calcitriol (1,25-Dihydroxycholecalciferol) is the active form of vitamin D found in the body. The term vitamin D also refers to these metabolites and other analogues of these substances.

Calcitriol plays an important role in the maintenance of several organ systems.[3] However, its major role is to increase the flow of calcium into the bloodstream, by promoting absorption of calcium and phosphorus from food in the intestines, and reabsorption of calcium in the kidneys; enabling normal mineralization of bone and preventing hypocalcemic tetany. It is also necessary for bone growth and bone remodeling by osteoblasts and osteoclasts.[4][5]

Without sufficient vitamin D, bones can become thin, brittle, or misshapen. Deficiency can arise from inadequate intake coupled with inadequate sunlight exposure; disorders that limit its absorption; conditions that impair conversion of vitamin D into active metabolites, such as liver or kidney disorders; or, rarely, by a number of hereditary disorders. Vitamin D deficiency results in impaired bone mineralization and leads to bone softening diseases, rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults, and possibly contributes to osteoporosis.[3]

Vitamin D plays a number of other roles in human health including inhibition of calcitonin release from the thyroid gland. Calcitonin acts directly on osteoclasts, resulting in inhibition of bone resorption and cartilage degradation. Vitamin D can also inhibit parathyroid hormone secretion from the parathyroid gland, modulate neuromuscular and immune function and reduce inflammation.[6][7][8]
driftingfe3s
I read an article about how becuase people are out less in the sun during the winter their vitamin d is at an all time low and becuase vitamin d helps the immune system, thats why lots of people get sick during the winter. The article said that it's best to take vitamin D suppliments to combat this.
mikakiev
All I know is that children should have sunshine or take vitamin D rich food.
You can give supplements instead of food, however it might cause a little problem if you give too much.
I don't think a grown-up need to worry about it a lot.
gtara1
Vitamin D3 is preferable, seems to that most of vitamin suppliers provide it.