FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

District 9

j00gotpwnd
Has anyone seen this movie yet? It came out...Yesterday, and is supposed to be the movie of the summer. It was produced by Peter Jackson or something. He didn't direct it, but he had something to do with it. Anyway I am really looking forward to seeing this film, and was wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of watching it. If so, how did you like it? Very Happy
PleoMaster
Went to see it last night.

It was unberlivable wont be number 1 of the summer but itll be in the top 5
desonium
I didn't hear about that movie.
Where is the movie about?
sierramultimedia
desonium wrote:
I didn't hear about that movie.
Where is the movie about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_9

District 9 is a 2009 science fiction film directed by Neill Blomkamp, released August 13, 2009 internationally and August 14, 2009 in North America.[3] It takes place in Johannesburg, South Africa. District 9 is based on Alive in Joburg, a short film directed by Neill Blomkamp, and features Sharlto Copley, Simon Hansen and Shanon Worley.
BROCK22
I didnt even know about this movie til recently but then out of nowhere it started getting this ammmmaaazing reviews. What the??
kriszara
I saw it with a big group and the one thing we all agreed on was that it was not what we were expecting.
It starts a little slow, but wait it out, it is a good movie.
I do not think it is an amazing block buster, but it was original and that is rare these days.
Enterprise
The graphics for this movie really just blew me away. Really, I was amazed. For that budget they created an amazing movie! I loved every bit of it, and do plan on getting it on dvd when it comes out. Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope for a District 10 because let's face it, the story has only been half told!
ato784
I saw the movie the day it came out and I went into the theater not knowing what to expect. I did enjoy the movie and liked the ending. I will agree that the begining was a tad slow, i believe that this is caused by the realistic parts of it, which take the viewer out of the story line for a moment. I do not personally like documentary type fiction because of this. If they had kept the entire story like it was at the end then it would have captured people into the movie.
crimson_aria
I saw this on the newspaper yesterday. I love Peter Jackson so seeing his name definitely got me interested. will be checking it out.
PleoMaster
Well it is a great film like I said , I recommend anyone to get out there wallets/purses and go see this movie.
georgeodowd
A friend of mine has seen it twice and highly recommends it. I don't think I'll make it to the theatres to see it, but it's in my netflix queue!
missdixy
I'm definitely planning on seeing it either later this week or early next. I've heard good things about it and even from the previews it looked pretty good.
joe_042293
I just saw it yesterday, having known nothing about it beforehand - hadn't seen any trailers or anything. All I knew was the name, and that it had something to do with aliens.

And yeah, fantastic film. Thoroughly enjoyed it, would recommend to a friend, all that business.
snowboardalliance
Not at all what I expected.

Definitely less of an epic blockbuster than the previews made it look - which is a good thing. Who wants to see just another Hollywood cookie cutter film anyway?

I wouldn't say this was a favorite movie for me, but I love that kind of non-Hollywood movie and I really did enjoy it. Definitely worth seeing.
Vladalf
Did not quite impress me. Story had alot of missings and the whole movie lacked some depth for me.
~Vlad
traxion
quote="Vladalf"
Did not quite impress me. Story had alot of missings and the whole movie lacked some depth for me.
~Vlad

oke,, the movies did not had the best cast, best settings and very strange aliens ( aka Halloween custom Razz )..

but the movie did hit me in a strange way..
i cant say what exactly but i adviced mine friend to watch the movie also, and that's somethink i dont do every day
OraShadow
District 9 was the best movie I've saw since Terminator Salvation. So it wins out of about 10 pro. movies!

I hope there will be another one? District 10 , District 9:2, or some other movie in three years maybe? Pray He kind of left it open there at the end, but he also made it hard to comprehend. Ehh, we'll see!
snowboardalliance
OraShadow wrote:
District 9 was the best movie I've saw since Terminator Salvation. So it wins out of about 10 pro. movies!

I hope there will be another one? District 10 , District 9:2, or some other movie in three years maybe? Pray He kind of left it open there at the end, but he also made it hard to comprehend. Ehh, we'll see!

I think (the director, can't remember his name) wants to do District 10. I read a little in Entertainment Weekly.
joostvane
The movie was good, but not epic as other people seem to think. But the story of the movie was very original.

Might have been because the quality wasn't too good though =)
shiningwizard
The movie was fantastic. The final act dissolves into a standard shoot-out action like Ebert mentions, but otherwise, the movie was creepy... and very realistic.

My only two complaints about the film:

1. I thought the whole "documentary feel" was overdone. The fast cuts between the news footage and normal film camera just didn't work.

2. Like I said, the third act is sort of disappointing.

Overall, though, near-perfect film. A 9/10 from me.
D'Artagnan
snowboardalliance wrote:
OraShadow wrote:

I think (the director, can't remember his name) wants to do District 10. I read a little in Entertainment Weekly.

!spoiler alert!

that would be awesome, i really tought as soon as the movie ended "what the fokk happened to him after the end"
but i really wish they left more material for a prequel, i mean the runned throught the aliens arrival story pointing directly to that racism stuff like what happened previously y never mattered,

although i understand that probably won't happen, i would be glad to see the prelude to district 9 how they ended up about johannesburg , the districts story, the language learning, the the cat food story and the gangs. district 10 would be great too...

i like the cerebral part of the movie , but i really don't like how its put in an obvious way, johannesburg? really? why don't they called apartheid 9, i really believe they could be less explanatory, to me to much are saying, this movie has aliens but is about racism don't forget it, the movie just don't need it, its cerebral, make people think!
menino
I liked district 9.

It had good action, acting, sent the message across.

There were few scenes that didnt add up, - like if the aliens could use weapons, then why not take what they could in the first place? - but overall, it was good.
I hope and think there's a part 2 (hopefully)l Laughing
bigt
j00gotpwnd wrote:
Has anyone seen this movie yet? It came out...Yesterday, and is supposed to be the movie of the summer. It was produced by Peter Jackson or something. He didn't direct it, but he had something to do with it. Anyway I am really looking forward to seeing this film, and was wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of watching it. If so, how did you like it? Very Happy

I wish I had seen this movie in the theater, but we didn't get around to going until it was already out of the theaters around here.
SunD3R
District 9 was awesome. It has a really good plot which can be continued if that is what the director wants and the CGI was almost realistic. The only downside was the guy's accent. They should have subtitles throughout the whole movie both for the guy's thick accent and the Prawns' gruntings.
matam
It's a new kind of Science Fiction that I watch recently.
soljarag
this was a crazy movie. Not like any other movie i have ever seen

I could totally see this happening (if aliens like that came Smile

We would put them in camps and stuff

I agree the 3rd act was "ok"

One thing that didnt add up
spoiler alert
so if they have been collecting that liquid for 20 years, and they finally got the last drop to fill it up.... after it sprays in the guys face (alot of liquid) they still think it is enough to fly.....

THATS A HUGE PLOT HOLE!!!
lethaltriad
Saw the trailer for it and really wanted to see it at the movies, gonna have to wait for it to come out on dvd, all of my friends that saw it though said it was a good flick
sum12nv
seen it. its a good movie but it leaves many questions unanswered ==' i reckon they gonna make a district 9 II to answer those questions like will the alien come back and help him return to normal like he promised or will they use thier advance technology to take over...
jigoku05
I'm downloading it now on torrent hehe! I'ma watch it later.
todabeat
i got it on dvd but i still havent watched the whole film
i only got half way
hopefully ill get around to it

but from what i saw which was like half the movie, it looked good

the aliens arent cheesy
Blummer
A quite unusual film. I think it's very underrated one. Still remember emotions I had while watching that last shot with the iron flower.
Hexes
Actually movie is quite interesting but at the end it is a bit boring. The idea with alliens addicted to cat's food made my day. What I enjoyed the most was a raw and grunge climate of district all those dirty and dark places. Slums with aliens are very similar to ones we currently have.
Segia
Saw this just before I visited some Cape Town-townships, found it to be quite interesting if you can see the hidden subtext and rather obvious parallels to apartheid. Very well made.
Blummer
Segia wrote:
Saw this just before I visited some Cape Town-townships, found it to be quite interesting if you can see the hidden subtext and rather obvious parallels to apartheid. Very well made.

That's how I felt like. I was like 'Wow, that's the history, that's so real'. I don't know what cat food means, but excluding that, put those areas in that place and you end up with similar situation.
Hello_World
I loved this movie! It is one of my favourites. I told EVERYone yo watch it and my Dad went and hated it...

Great film, although I guess not everyone Will like it lol well there is no movie everyone likes.
portoskt
i would like to see more movies like this one