FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's the latest you've ever stayed up?

hamza1122
I've stayed up several times up to 5 am in the morning so i can complete my assignments which are due the next day. Annoying since it means i only have 2 and a half hours of sleep.

I think i should organize my assignments better. lol.

What about you guys?
deanhills
I've done plenty of all nighters. Last night was one of them. I go through phases where I try to go to bed at a reasonable hour, which is probably later than it should be. But when I am gung-ho about something I can carry on right through to the next day. Usually when it gets past 1:30 a.m., I'm no longer tired. It usually hits me the next afternoon, and I then go into a complete "slump". Smile
Arty
8AM.

Then I slept till 12.
mwsupra
I've stayed up for all nighters or gone to bed around 9AM many nights playing MMORPG's in the past. Those were some sleepless nights Razz
standready
Does thirty eight (3Cool hours straight count? Too many bad things going on at that time.
ocalhoun
Once went 3 days with about 1 hour of sleep... I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you expect to be driving.
silverdown
i stayed up for over hours once , when i did eventually go to sleep i slept for about 12 hours
bigt
hamza1122 wrote:
I've stayed up several times up to 5 am in the morning so i can complete my assignments which are due the next day. Annoying since it means i only have 2 and a half hours of sleep.

What about you guys?

I've pulled some all nighters, but not lately. The last late night was thankfully not too late. I believe it was 2 a.m. and I had to wake up at 5:30 a.m. I also don't recommend driving on reduced sleep b/c I've seen too many accidents that involve it.
snowboardalliance
hmm well I tend to sleep from 2am to 9:30am this summer, but I've stayed up until...12 noon the next day, maybe later, but I'm pretty sure it was a time that I had gotten up early the previous day so I was up for nearly 30 hours. Oh and I've been up pretty "late" several times editing movies, but hey it's fun.
Ankhanu
Probably the "latest" I've stayed up was about 52hr straight. It's not something I really recommend, you start getting lucid, but eventually you just stop feeling tired Razz
Dean_The_Great
I think I've done a 36 hour go. A very intense time, to be sure.
apple
I have done 48 hours straight...it was a huge challenge!
eday2010
I've done 36 hours a few times during college. The worst portion of time for me is between 8am and 10am the morning after I haven't slept. After that I seem to be okay, though I feel a bit strange overall and I have a weird taste in my mouth in the morning.
TurtleShell
I've pulled a few all-nighters before. I did this once while living in London. I stayed up all night to write a paper and finished it at the Internet cafe next door to where I was living. That day we went to a museum and then I saw a play in the evening. It was a production of the Importance of Being Ernest, and since I really wanted to be able to stay awake for it, I wandered across the street to the coffee shop and had a double or triple shot of espresso. I prefer espresso in situations like that because I get all the benefits of caffeine without the trips to the bathroom.
hunnyhiteshseth
I have slept at almost every hour in the 24 hours depending on various situations, i.e. sometimes I have stayed up till 11AM and sometimes slept at 3PM after skipping one day of sleep!
pll
I did some all nighters usually playing games or partying.
When I do this I usually go to bed at 9 PM the day after."

its crazy!
william
I have managed to stay up all night multiple times. Longest, I managed to stay up all night, make it through the day, and then go to sleep as I normally would around 10:00 PM or 11:00 PM. I wasn't really tired, and I felt alright, but there was a strange feeling within me. Not worth it in my honest opinion. Sleeping is too nice to pass up. Enjoy it! Very Happy
HalfBloodPrince
I'd say 9 AM. The longest I've gone without sleep would probably be 36 hours.
Ghost900
I stayed up at a camp out/sleepover all night and lasted probably for about 25 hours, then I couldn't stay awake. I slept half of the next day, I guess I am not used to not getting much sleep. Very Happy
crimson_aria
I just stayed up till 6AM yesterday. I'm on my crucial year at college so everything, including sleep, is screwed up. I try my best to sleep well during major exams though, cause i believe that the brain won't be able to remember all the things I memorized. The longest I have stayed up is probably a day and a half.
catscratches
Stayed up for 40 hours recently. Wasn't very nice...
ProfessorY91
I believe the record up there so far is 52 hours, I have to say I'm impressed. I recently stayed up about that long ~50hrs at a party that I didn't trust, followed by an all night work session to make up for it. It really is quite a challenge.
Fatality
I used to stay up and play online games with friends until 3am or 4am and have to get up for class at 7am.

The longest I can remember staying up is 6am. I lightly fell asleep and then had to drive an hour to work a few hours later. Lets just say I'm lucky I made it to work alive.
driftingfe3s
I did quite a few all nighters in college. I remember staying up all night writing an 8 page research paper and being late to class after just finished the paper.

Recently I've been just staying up just for the hell of it. When it starts getting light outside I take that as my cue to get to bed.
Donutey
Every hour of the day, I've gotten my schedule completely backwards before.
jmlworld
Usually I sleep 3 - 4 hours at night. I sleep around 1:30 AM. I do sleep at noon though. I don't have much to do at work so I go off to home at 12:00PM to take a nap about 2 hours. I liked this behavior.
deanhills
I had another all nighter last night, following a week of little sleep, maybe averaging about 4 hours a night. So today really had a challenge to keep my head up, as working with a computer today and trying to concentrate on some training, I found my head kind'a nodding now and then, and becoming almost unconscious. Tonight at home, I almost blanked out in the middle of company, and was lights out for about two hours, sitting straight up. I'd hate to know what that must have looked like! Shocked
mattyj
i worked night shift for 5 years, where i would start at 7PM and finish at 7AM...so i was regularly going to bed at 9AM...Not good for family life when you have 3 young kids, i DO NOT recommend working night shift too anyone...Only reason i did it for so long was the a) good money and b) piss easy job

I now have a normal 7:30am-4:30pm job
kriszara
I have stayed up for 30 hours straight is my record. We use the mantra "sleep or calories" you can push your body to stay awake if you feed it a steady supply of caffeine and calories. I know people who have stayed up longer, but they were using chemicals you can't buy at Wal-Mart and got pretty scary after a couple of days.
soljarag
back when I was in college (industrial design) i used to pull all nighters all the time.... My record is about 35 hours... and thats after a week of sleeping only 3-5 hours a day....

I have gone for 5 days with only 8 hours of sleep... i dont recommend it... you don't do anything productive... now i have learned that.

now a days I usually go to bed around 2... I find it real hard to go to bed before midnight...

I just got a job that starts in a few weeks, and its 8am-5pm.. so I have to get used to waking up early Sad
tony
ocalhoun wrote:
Once went 3 days with about 1 hour of sleep... I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you expect to be driving.

Wow; that's very dangerous I think... I went 43 hours one time without sleeping. I was at university and had too many things to complete and not enough time... At a certain point your mind just stops performing correctly...
Ankhanu
ProfessorY91 wrote:
I believe the record up there so far is 52 hours, I have to say I'm impressed. I recently stayed up about that long ~50hrs at a party that I didn't trust, followed by an all night work session to make up for it. It really is quite a challenge.

Yeah, it's not easy... though mid way through it starts getting easier Razz

I was going to a conference, traveling over the weekend... I had to stay up late to finish my presentation for the conference and pack, then go for a full day of classes and labs, and teaching a lab in the afternoon, then had to drive out of province (5hr) to pick up a friend at the airport (12am), spent time with him in the nearby city until I had to get back to the airport for my flight (6am), and spent the next 14hr flying and in airports (I don't sleep while traveling), got to my destination, met up with one of my thesis supervisors, got signed in for the conference, did some mingling, got set up in the hotel, and did some more networking before finally getting to stop and sleep. Was an interesting 2.5 days Razz
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
I was going to a conference, traveling over the weekend... I had to stay up late to finish my presentation for the conference and pack, then go for a full day of classes and labs, and teaching a lab in the afternoon, then had to drive out of province (5hr) to pick up a friend at the airport (12am), spent time with him in the nearby city until I had to get back to the airport for my flight (6am), and spent the next 14hr flying and in airports (I don't sleep while traveling), got to my destination, met up with one of my thesis supervisors, got signed in for the conference, did some mingling, got set up in the hotel, and did some more networking before finally getting to stop and sleep. Was an interesting 2.5 days Razz
Maybe the momentum got you going, and kept you on the go? I can imagine the moment that you could pause and stop to relax, you must have been literally lights out. Smile
spring567
23:00 pm Laughing
biljap
Once I went to sleep at 7am… And, off course, I couldn’t sleep for more than one hour although I was very tired. Staying awake for that long is destroying possibility for me to sleep normally for some time. That was one long and wasted day… Tired to do anything useful… Tired to go to sleep…
Fanghai
i stayed up for 49 hours
watersoul
4 days and nights in a row a couple of years ago, totally with assistance from stimulants (which I would strongly say is not a good suggestion as towards the end it all got a bit strange) - there were loads of all-nighter beach parties going on and I had to work each day so just kindv ran with it. Was fun in an unusual kind of way though and will always be a crazy memory.
...apart from the time I finally spent sleeping from dawn sunday and waking on the monday!

(legal disclaimer - not sensible, not clever, not healthy, and more than likely dangerous activity, never again!)
ForceRun
I think I have got most of you beat, for the fun of it a group of us help set the Gunnis World Record for Longest non-stop Lan Party at 36 hours. Because of all the activities at Nvision 2008 sponsored by Nvidia we stayed up for 56 hours or so. And were gaming for most of it. It was a blast but I'm never doing it again.:

Here is a clip from during the event, we were all very tired:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us747QdMA1E
Melacos
In the good old LAN days, I did several multiple nights awake, just imagining that it was funnier that way...actually I'm sure that it wasn't really the case, and that some more focused gaming would have been the product otherwise.. Though it was just a part of it I guess... Smile
erlendhg
The latest I have ever stayed up was to 9am in the morning,
and even then I only slept for 45 minutes before going to school.

We started later than usual, though, because it was the last day of school.
This was two years ago.
polly-gone
One time I went almost 36 hours without sleeping whenever I slept over a friend's house because we stayed up all night playing video games. When I being driven home by my Mom, I was eating a candy bar and talking to her, and I fell asleep mid-sentence and mid-bite.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
Radar
Can't begin to compete with the multiple days thing.

Latest I've stayed up - and still gone to sleep that day - is about 3:30 I think...although I'm not entirely sure, as that was the day that Daylight Savings changed over, so it's kind of fuzzy to me.
BigGeek
I am 50 years old and I spent the last 10 years on night shift. 7pm to 7am, it was hell, it was the worst time of my life, and the extra money was not worth the wear and tear on my body. I literally started to fall apart at the end of it.

If you ever have read any articles on sleep depravation, and it's effect on the body, mine was like a text book example, i began to become type 2 diabetic and my insulin bacame very insensitive, I wwas unable to eat any sorts of sugary foods, whole grans and carbs, had trouble digesting anything, ended up jiucing a lot to make up for the lack of digestion that my body had began to suffer from. I continued to lift weights throughout the 10 year on nights which I know saved the type 2 diabetes from going into full blown diabetes, and my supplementation with digestive enzymes and other herbs that help cure adrenal fatigue were a god send as well. But I developed serious joint pain, and high blood pressure as well.

I read so many posts about going on 4 hours sleep, and staying up all night a few nights, and how that felt, and I gotta tell you, a few times aren't too bad in life, but doing it for a living is the miserable thing I ever expereinced. If you are ever asked to do it, say no, and if you are forced to do it to keep your job, look for another one, and get off it as soon as you can!
hamza1122
hamza1122 wrote:

What about you guys?

Set a new record. 5 am is the latest i've every stayed up. Yay!
Roflcopter
i think it was about 1 day for me lol... coulda went a lot longer but there was nothing to do so i just went to sleep. Surprised
[FuN]goku
Oh god, this summer was full of all nighters for me. Most of the times I would stay up playing Phantasy Star Online: Blue burst until 6:30 am, then I'd go to my room and not be able to sleep... for whatever reason , so I'd be up for the rest of the day.

But I remember when I was younger, my friend and I were having a contest to see who would last the longest, and I think I crashed around 53 hours, and he was up for like.. 56 or something around there. That was years ago.. I think i was about 12 or 13.

Though, I did want to try to go 72 hours without sleep this summer (as healthy as it ISN'T), after a discussion I had in an irc channel, where around 72 hours of sleep deprivation, you'll start to hallucinate. I wanted to see if it was true, but I can barely stand staying up for 30-42 hours these days. I just get so bored, and everything goes by slowly.. So yeah.
Baka_Desu
My latest was 4 am, with the help of music. Yeah, i have a bad habit of listening to music while i sleep.
Jamestf347
I've pulled a few all-nighters before. I did this once while living in London. I stayed up all night to write a paper and finished it at the Internet cafe next door to where I was living. That day we went to a museum and then I saw a play in the evening. It was a production of the Importance of Being Ernest, and since I really wanted to be able to stay awake for it, I wandered across the street to the coffee shop and had a double or triple shot of espresso. I prefer espresso in situations like that because I get all the benefits of caffeine without the trips to the bathroom.

ahhhs just don't be going 5 days, my uncles did that and they were hallucinating (sp?) lol it sounded, amazing but yet a little bit strange xD
ankitdatashn
I could not sleep for 24 hours just a day ago... used sedatives finally
microkosm
I've stayed up 36 hours consecutively (with cat naps of half an hour to two hours in between). Of course, this was due to procrastination and the need to finish studying or assignments at the last minute. I don't recommend it at all. That level of continuous sleep deprivation really fuc*s with your body.
deanhills
I've just had an unusual experience. I did an all-nighter and went with no sleep during Wednesday evening. Did a whole day of busy work on Thursday, then returned home, was tired, but kept on doing my usual things, ending up with Frihost. Then at around 11:00 p.m. interrupted Frihost with wanting to check up on taping a show on TV, and when I woke up at 7:30 a.m. was sitting exactly in the same position as I was on the couch. The TV was still turned off and I was sitting in a complete upright position, head straight up, legs up and relaxed. Usually I would lie down or something. Totally weird. Another thing that was different is that I felt completely refreshed and relaxed. No aching bones. Almost as though I had a time lapse and had gone straight from conscious to "lights out" for 8.5 hours non-stop. I'm not complaining, but that was a different kind of experience for me.
Xanify
6pm the next day. Early morning deadline, followed by a day full of classes ...
Nemesis234
during a weekend long rave i was up at 7am on friday, and fell asleep on the way home at 7pm sunday. that was about 60 ish hours i think, if my maths is right. it was pretty crazy but the loud music and the energy drink/alcohol combos made it work. slept for like 4 hours till i got home and then went to bed as usual, up at 8 monday morning and felt terrible. but the weekend sure made up for that.
Parkour_Jarrod
As someone who suffers insomnia I usually go to bed about 2am-4am and get up 6-7am but there was a time in my life i stayed up for 83 hours... twas very productive, i literally slept for 24 hours after that.
deanhills
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
As someone who suffers insomnia I usually go to bed about 2am-4am and get up 6-7am but there was a time in my life i stayed up for 83 hours... twas very productive, i literally slept for 24 hours after that.
I really admire people who do not need that much sleep. I need the sleep, but hate that I have to sleep, as I enjoy being up during night time. Feels like an aweful waste of time to sleep.
Parkour_Jarrod
deanhills wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
I really admire people who do not need that much sleep. I need the sleep, but hate that I have to sleep, as I enjoy being up during night time. Feels like an aweful waste of time to sleep.

Ill tell you one thing, at first you get alot more done, then you procrastinate more and more till you get nothing done Razz
deanhills
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Ill tell you one thing, at first you get alot more done, then you procrastinate more and more till you get nothing done Razz
Very good point. One loses a certain amount of reality when you are up all night, and it does give food for procrastination, and then not getting anything done. I've been procrastinating now for months to take at least a weekend off from the Internet, and to start a good habit of not spending any time on the computer when I get home from work for at least a week, so that I can create a habit of exercising and getting to bed early. I still have not got to that point Embarassed .
ProwerBot
I've pulled all nighters on school nights before. It's weird. I feel more awake than usual and then toward the end of the school day I start getting slap happy and laugh at every single thing.
Captain Fertile
When I was at university I went more than 48 hours without any sleep. Its amazing howunwell lack of sleep can make you feel. It was worse than most hangovers. Bad head and feeling sick. Not nice and will avoid doing it again at all costs.
Bikerman
5 days is my record I think....120 hours....but that was chemically assisted back in my naughty student days - had to get 14x3000 word assignments done in 2 weeks
Sacred
Iv stayed up till a whole day because I was all sugared up from soda. Razz
Aulos
I've gone without sleep for prolonged periods as well, finishing major projects for school. Alas, I've graduated, so this may be the norm at the college I'm attending in the fall. They've got a rigorous foundation year program.

Although, some times it happens that some late night gaming gets way out of control. Heh.
Bikerman
In my day it was Dungeons and Dragons - played with dice and pencils - that kept the nerds (including me) up all weekend at Uni...that's one reason I had so many damned assignments to do Sad
BlueDeath
5 am.
fladry
5 am, me too. I just stayed awake with some of my friends, playing computer games when no one was in the house.
mtorregiani
Sometimes I stay awake until 8 am, but only the weekends that I go out with friends.
Most of the time, I go to bed at midnight, and I get up at 6 am...
Aulos
Just recently, I had an all night lego build session. I am aware that may sound lame to some of you.
Asap170
Well I stayed up late, but I stayed up for like 48 hours...so I don't think it mattered what time I went to bed.
Shadowninja7194
hmmmmmmmmmm.......iv stayed up for around two days. I was in colorado at partys Very Happy
carlospro7
I've had a lot of late nights. I've gone to bed at 4am, 5am, 6am, and 8am on some occasions, but I never thought I would go bed at 4:30pm after pulling an all-nighter, and it happened while trying to complete a project for a networking course. I knew I was going to be awake all night, and so I made sure to eat as well as I could, which kept me going for a while, but still, I was miserable. Now that I think about it, I didn't actually go to bed, I just took a two hour nap because I still had stuff to do... I would say around 32 hours of no sleep that day with maybe 4 hours of sleep the night before.
Arty
8AM. ^_^ Then I crashed until 2PM. I got my 6 hours of sleep after all.
Insanity
Stayed up all night to do a lab report when I was in college. It was terrible, I felt woozy and groggily the whole day... didnt' feel like doing much and was surprised I didn't fall asleep in class. I think I fell asleep right after I turned it in though, so not sure if that actually counts.
goutha
well, it was the whole night and the day after. Never two consecutive nights.
natilovesmike
Well, in Argentina it used to be that dancing places stayed open all night....I would go out at midnight or 1-2 in the morning and only come back home at 6-7 in the morning...sometimes we would even go somehwere for breakfast before going back to sleep .... that messed up my days so bad...because then I would sleep until the afternoon and be sleep the rest of the day!
Josso
3 days in ibiza. Mad times. Not fully with it after that ammount of time though, so you kinda enjoy stuff less after a while - I like my sleep.
TurtleShell
Yeah, I've skipped sleep for a night a few times in my life, but not since college. I recall one night that I stayed up writing a paper. The next day I had a class in a museum to go to, then a play that night to attend, so I didn't sleep at all. I was worried that I'd be too tired in the play and I'd fall asleep. I didn't want to have any coffee because that would make me have to pee, so I downed a double shot of espresso. Bam! I was totally fine through the entire play, and then into the night that night.

Recently I stayed up until 5:30AM, painting. I fell asleep for two hours and then went to work at 7:30. I'm not 21 anymore, but it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I still managed to stay up until 10 that night, and then I only made myself go to sleep, even though I could have stayed up for much longer.
LittleBlackKitten
I have been up all night, thirteen days in a row, only sleeping at 8am till about 4pm, then doing it again 13 days straight. I've stayed up till 4 am writing my stories, playing whatever game with my husband, or watching movies. I've pulled many all-nighters just for fun, but that was before college and a kid... Very Happy
deanhills
I'm a bad one for really liking all nighters. Always feels as though one has the whole world to oneself while everyone else is sleeping. I've managed to wean myself off that over the last month or more but with great struggles at times. I don't think however that I could go without sleep for longer than 36 hours. That usually happens when I am travelling and flying long distances.
Arty
I like all nighters. The latest I've ever slept was at 12PM the next day.
joostvane
Did a couple of all nighters the past few years aswell. I also skipped 2 nights once, but against my 'will'.

My school has a mountain climbing thing going on every year, and last year was the coldest one in 20-30 years of them travelling, and it happened to be my group... Climbed to this mountain cabin (up from 7 AM), where we tried to go to bed at 11 PM. Snowstorm outside, no heating in sleeping rooms, and even with 4 blankets I was cold so I got up again at 5.30 AM to sit with some other all nighters in the dining room. After that, we climbed the mountain down again, to catch our bus in the evening. I can never sleep on a bus, not on a plane, ... so I stayed up the whole night again. Got home at about 10 AM, went home, watched a movie or 2 to chill after this vacation, and went to bed at about 10 PM. Woke up the day after at about 3 PM amazed by my clock :

Another time I pulled 2 all nighters was at my last exam. First night to study, second night to party.

I must say I can go quite long without sleep, but it irritates me very fast. Headaches, stomaches, ... They strike pretty fast when I'm out of rythm. And extremely fast when there is alcohol involved ;p
Insanity
I've stayed up all night with friends playing video games bfore in college. When you're in college there really is a lot of time that you are completely free to spend doing whatever you want. Especially when it's a weekend adn you don't have to wake up for classes the next day. Which is what the scenario was like that day. Unfortunately, it was not a very productive night and I probably should've spent the time sleeping or doing some homework. But when you're that interested in playing a game then time passes really fast.
nigam
ive stayed up for two days due to the shipment already which you have finished everything so that you can catch up vessel and can't pay any late charges.
Denvis
Gone 48 hours without sleep, movie marathon and then i didn't wanna ruin my sleep pattern so i waited... hahaha
deanhills
Denvis wrote:
Gone 48 hours without sleep, movie marathon and then i didn't wanna ruin my sleep pattern so i waited... hahaha
Now that is a double accomplishments. How on earth can you stay awake when you are watching movies? When I am exhausted, usually they lull me to sleep? Smile
Josso
deanhills wrote:
I'm a bad one for really liking all nighters. Always feels as though one has the whole world to oneself while everyone else is sleeping.

I know what you mean by this, it's nice peace and quiet - I go and stroll around my little village sometimes in the dead of night it's like a ghost town.
goutha
Lionel Richie - All night long.
deanhills
Josso wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I'm a bad one for really liking all nighters. Always feels as though one has the whole world to oneself while everyone else is sleeping.

I know what you mean by this, it's nice peace and quiet - I go and stroll around my little village sometimes in the dead of night it's like a ghost town.
I did some of that last night in Koh Samui, Thailand. Very safe here, except, quite dark, and every now and then a dog would go ballistic with a very verocious bark. But for the rest very enjoyable and different.
Shadowninja7194
I just beat my record lol. about 2 days, computer gaming ftw..its going to et even better when swtor comes out.
natilovesmike
Went all night up and the next day till 3:00 or something like that...but it was a long time ago...

Now it hurts when its past midnight!
Blaster
This isn't really a fair question. It shouldn't be about what time you stayed up till but rather how long you have stayed up for. I've stayed up for around 22 hours as my max. I have never made it past 24 but really want to accomplish this feat at some point in my lifetime... Probably now while i'm young
jigoku05
I've stayed up for 2 whole days.
Lagoless
Well,
I've some lan-partys with friends for a game called : World of Warcraft,
and 2 nights ago was 1 of those 'lan-party'
That means : You don't sleep at all
I woke up friday at 11 AM and slept on sunday at 11 AM aswell but woke up again at 2PM so 25 Hours with 3 hours of sleep -.-