FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Replacement camera from eBay

Tony The Tiger
I bought a replacement Canon Powershot TX-1 for one that was previously out of order. I purchased it on eBay and it looks exactly like my old one did (when it was new). The one I bought was touted on eBay as follows: BRAND NEW NEVER USED "GRAY MARKET [IMPORTED] From canada " WITH ALL ORIGINAL ACCESSORIES AND BOOKLETS UNUSED - BUT WILL BE SHIPPED IN A WHITE BOX. What exactly did I buy? Is it a refurbished model or a knock off? What do you think? It seems to function exactly like the old one did.
snowboardalliance
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I bought a replacement Canon Powershot TX-1 for one that was previously out of order. I purchased it on eBay and it looks exactly like my old one did (when it was new). The one I bought was touted on eBay as follows: BRAND NEW NEVER USED "GRAY MARKET [IMPORTED] From canada " WITH ALL ORIGINAL ACCESSORIES AND BOOKLETS UNUSED - BUT WILL BE SHIPPED IN A WHITE BOX. What exactly did I buy? Is it a refurbished model or a knock off? What do you think? It seems to function exactly like the old one did.

I just bought a Canon HV40 camcorder "kit" on ebay from a shady store at a good price (well only a little more than retail because of the extras thrown in). Anyway, my point is, I've looked up gray market cameras to see what I may be getting into. Look it up on google. From what I remember, they are cameras that may have been produced elsewhere (but typically are produced in the same factory as normal) and usually have no Manufacturers warranty. They may also have manuals in different languages and if you are really unlucky, they are made for other countries and use different power sources and require adapters. (As a side note, my Camcorder was normal, except that the box was unsealed and there was no warranty card, still it seemed to be a normal U.S. version, though I'm not sure if it is gray market). I think gray market cameras are mostly just the camera made to be sold in a different country then sold to the U.S. instead for cheaper prices. Anyway, you'll probably be fine and it's unlikely refurbished or a knock-off. Still, I wouldn't buy something that way again.
Tony The Tiger
snowboardalliance wrote:
I think gray market cameras are mostly just the camera made to be sold in a different country then sold to the U.S. instead for cheaper prices. Anyway, you'll probably be fine and it's unlikely refurbished or a knock-off. Still, I wouldn't buy something that way again.

This came with an aftermarket one-year warranty. I hope to buy normal models in general. I really hope that something newer comes out with a swivel LCD and HD video that takes this many megapixels. I felt odd buying technology that was over two years old.