FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I got burnt!

medesignz
I was in the early drafting stages of a logo for a new client and sent them a draft of what they had briefed me on...
http://i31.tinypic.com/15676li.png
then suddenly I heard nothing from them... I just checked out their site and upon it was a new logo...
http://i27.tinypic.com/2w2imhk.jpg

If I was them, I would have waited a couple more drafts before hiJacking...

OH WELL
anakin_skyrunner
Yeah well - it happens so fast.

Sorry for you Sad
Ghost Rider103
Well unless you designed that second image, you really can't do anything about it.

It looks like they just took your logo concept and re-did it themselves. So their isn't much you can do, it's actually perfectly legal.

Neither of them looked worth stealing in my opinion.

Yours is definitely better, but not worth stealing.

By the way, why did you post this thread in the general chat section?
Nameless
The first one looks pretty jarring and wannabe-cool, but the second one looks bland and cliche. I don't have the first clue what I'm talking about, but I'd say this early design nabbing was a lose-lose for all parties.
speeDemon
maybe they just wanted some advice or ideas... and they nabbed a little part from your one, and made a new one....
medesignz
If they wanted advice, they should have just asked... I'm not after legal advice. I just thought if they wanted to do this from the start, why didnt they waste a little more of my time and let me get into the design a little more?
Insanity
The second one looks just tacky, IMO. The flame effect is... bleh. They didn't do a great job themselves, if that makes you feel any better.
tony
I'm sorry to hear that! That really sucks! Hopefully you did not spend too long on designing the logo...
standready
Thats sucks! No written contract? Try placing watermarks on drafts. At least might slow them down.
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
The first one looks pretty jarring and wannabe-cool, but the second one looks bland and cliche. I don't have the first clue what I'm talking about, but I'd say this early design nabbing was a lose-lose for all parties.
Absolutely. My take on it too. I liked the back-ground of the second one, but the word art was completely dead, and those double lines did not work for me at all. I might have used the fire pic to "fill" the letters, i.e. the fonts should have been "raging" with fire, you should have been able to feel the letters "crackling" Smile
shkumbin
What a bunch of worthless stealing bitches to take your design idea which is very important in logo design if they want to look good,
apple
People are just not as honest as they used to be...sorry.
Ghost900
It may be best to add a watermark or stupid sign to your previews. Just add to letters in the middle so that they are unable to use it professionally but still get an idea of how it looks, you could even fade the letters if you want.
Magicman
Ghost900 wrote:
It may be best to add a watermark or stupid sign to your previews. Just add to letters in the middle so that they are unable to use it professionally but still get an idea of how it looks, you could even fade the letters if you want.

That doesn't stop them from just copying the idea behind the logo which is what happened here. It's unfortunate that people are not honest. You should have charged them at least half upfront and had some kind of contract so something like this doesn't happen.
carlospro7
That's unfortunate. I don't think what thet made i s any good really. The way I've done it with clients, to avoid this, is, pay half before I present any drafts and then the rest to release the final version.
Vrythramax
I'm sorry about your loss, but this topic is just a bit pointless.

-closed-