FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I want to quit my job!

distantship
I am fairly successful in my career i guess, cos' I work in TV/Film industry and after university graduation, I was promoted 3 times in my career within 2 years and at the age of 25, I've already a producer and have decent salaries, but as few years goes by, I found that I lost all my passion in this industry and going to work everyday is killing me. I was so passionate about films and movies making since I was 5 or even younger, but working in this field had ripped off all the passion I once had....going to work everyday is actually become torture to me but at the same time, i have to put my game face on because i need to stay at the top of the game to secure my position. So I guess you could imagine how miserable I am living like this day in and day out...

And then about 5 months ago I discovered the whole online business world and decided most of them are spams and some of them are actually profitable if i could put my effort on...i keep learning and learning and realize you would never make as much money as any internet marketing products would boldly claim, if you want a steady source of income, you need to create your own method, that's what I'm doing now and I'm making decent money online too. I constantly have different ideas on my online business which should have huge potentials but since I have my day time job, I usually couldn't complete all the projects i have started...

That's why I'm considering quitting my daytime job and focus on my online business....if you were me, what would you do?
sigT
distantship wrote:

That's why I'm considering quitting my daytime job and focus on my online business....if you were me, what would you do?

It sounds as if you were asking someone to share a business-related idea with you. It might be difficult to find an answer to your question unless you specify what kind of online business you see as the most favourable to you. So far, it is rather clear that your intention is to start making bigger money than you make at present. The question is how would you like to make it?
Bluedoll
I would make a list of pro's and con's starting with passion. What do I like the most, why, where do I see myself in five years, how much money am I making (not potential) at what I am doing, what are the advancement opportunities available and how do I value the social contacts I have in my occupation?

Keep in mind that a lot of successful people have split their time between two interests and decide to switch solely to one by choosing the most common sense time to be selective.
lagoon
You want to leave one boring industry to join another boring industry?
iyepes
You said something important, you lost passion, when you lost it, is really a matter of time that it ends reflected in your work results.

Should you jump to your online business?, well, it means a risk. Are you ready to take a risk? it depends on you. Probably crisis times have more risks, but, usually people who know which risks are good to take have more profit than the payroll ones.

Take into consideration all the variables you can, and have a plan B, in case you online business ends less profitable than you thought.
wanshi
distantship wrote:
I am fairly successful in my career i guess, cos' I work in TV/Film industry and after university graduation, I was promoted 3 times in my career within 2 years and at the age of 25, I've already a producer and have decent salaries, but as few years goes by, I found that I lost all my passion in this industry and going to work everyday is killing me.

if i were you ,i would drop the job and fight for my dream,several years‘ life is so short ,one should do what you want to do so that you can feel happy and passionate。what most important is your feeling。
jabce85
do what makes you happy! i'm running a side business on etsy right now just because i like making things... (check my avatar btw) ...... and it never feels like a burden, nor should it ever!
Chinmoy
i suggest you do not quit man! getting a job in this recession prone market and workd is quite hard nowadays..
sigT
Chinmoy wrote:
i suggest you do not quit man! getting a job in this recession prone market and workd is quite hard nowadays..

This depends on where you are. If you are based in the UK, there might be less chances of success in getting a new job then if you were in the US where economic performance is better now, see an article http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8235763.stm entitled "UK will miss start of recovery".
umbral
i agree with u , completely
atul2242
Changing jobs or work are quite demanding.
If you are unhappy go ahead...
If u feel like keeping some insurance try and take a long term vacation ( if your company allows it ).
skimox
don't quit...it is only by specializing that you can survive, and anyway , the next job is ALWAYS worse than the previous job. Trust me on this. Shocked