FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

confused on phpBB

Eyre
Ok, i downloaded the latest version of phpBB forum thing, as well as FileZilla FTP program. So far, everything i have seen to help me has just confused me more. Can someone help me through it step by step please? That would be utterly amazing.
grief
The readme file should have detailed instructions.

Arrow Upload all files inside the folder called phpbb, you can rename it if you wish, to the FTP.

Arrow Run install/install.php

Arrow Delete the contrib and install folders.

Then you have to change the permissions of certain files, I forget which...

However, cpanel can do it all for you if you want the basic phpbb.
Eyre
i can get everything loaded into the FTP manager, but i dont know what to put into the Port blank and the address blank?
kany
In the address field you have to give the ftp address of the web host and in the port field you have to give the port at which to connect.
Now these two will be given to you by the hosting company and if you haven't got them then ask a moderator to give them to you.
Eyre
alright thanks Very Happy
Eyre
ok, i just went ahead and dropped the whole self uploading thing, and i just had Fantastico install it for me. Now the only thing im wondering is how do i install mods?
jongoldsz
You can either install easymods, which is installed by puting the file in the admin Directory of phpbb. Easy mods installs mods that are in the /admin/easymoddir. Or you can install them by following the instructions in the install file or readme file.
Eyre
ah, thank you much. i didnt know the mods came with a read me.
thanks. Very Happy
jongoldsz
No problem, I also struggled with that problem when I used phpbb.
Eyre
how about putting in styles? I downloaded one, but its got a bajillion files on it, do i just upload each file individually into the templates folder?
grief
you upload the whole folder into the templates folder. for example, if you downloaded the acid template, you'd upload the folder called acid to your templates, then through the admin panel install it.
kany
NOw I am going to give you a few tips about phpbb here.
If you want to customize your phpbb forum with Mods then i would not encourage you to install other templates and styles. Its really a mess when you want to install a mod with 2 or more templates installed.
and if you are using Easymod you would mostly get errors while installing mods for a forum with many templates. so keep your forum simple with the subsilver and if you don't like the subsilver just edit the subsilver image files and upload them with the same name and you will have your colour with the subsilver.

Well if you bother to Laughing
Aki
kany wrote:
NOw I am going to give you a few tips about phpbb here.
If you want to customize your phpbb forum with Mods then i would not encourage you to install other templates and styles. Its really a mess when you want to install a mod with 2 or more templates installed.
and if you are using Easymod you would mostly get errors while installing mods for a forum with many templates. so keep your forum simple with the subsilver and if you don't like the subsilver just edit the subsilver image files and upload them with the same name and you will have your colour with the subsilver.

Well if you bother to Laughing

This is true I usually don't use EasyMod as after installing a few mods it doesn't work properly anyway after your files have been edited to the degree that the mod doesn't recognised parts of the script anymore. Learn how to edit the scripts with word pad and that way you can mod any skin (with a bit of knowledge about html/php)