FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Was Clinton really "ballistic"?

deanhills
The press accuses Hillary Clinton of having acted "ballistic" in an "outburst" when a student in Congo during a press conference asked her her husband's opinion about an international financial matter. I wonder whether the media was really unfair:
Quote:
"Wait. You want me to tell you what my husband thinks?" Clinton asked in response. "My husband is not the secretary of state; I am. So you ask my opinion, I will tell you my opinion. I'm not going to be channeling my husband."

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said Tuesday that Clinton reacted that way because of the question.

"As the question was posed to her, it was posed in a way that said, 'I want to get the views of two men, but not you, the secretary of state,'" Crowley said.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090812/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_clinton_i_m_secretary

Is it because they could not find anything worthwhile from a news point of view, so thought to make her look like an angry wife instead?
Roald
I can understand her outburst (if it happend), I mean, she has fought for the position she has now, she has lost the pre-elections against Obama but luckily enough she's the secretary of state. And than someone asks the opinion of her husband while she's there on a mission herself.

And this could be an attempt to make her look like a bitch, something she's been called often already.
deanhills
Roald wrote:
I can understand her outburst (if it happend), I mean, she has fought for the position she has now, she has lost the pre-elections against Obama but luckily enough she's the secretary of state. And than someone asks the opinion of her husband while she's there on a mission herself.

And this could be an attempt to make her look like a bitch, something she's been called often already.
But could it really be considered "ballistic" and an "outburst"? I would rather have described it as a "put down" as that student really deserved it. Maybe she could have used different wording perhaps, but I see an outburst as someone giving another person a verbal thrashing. She only used a few words, which basically said, "hello ..... I'm here .... ask me the question and I will answer it, Mr. Clinton is not here". Having said this, I must say she has been looking quite tired and stressed, maybe she needs to take time out at a spa or something ..... Smile
jmi256
I wouldn't characterize it as "ballistic." It looked like she was really tired and not really up to taking questions. She just snapped a bit at the person asking the question.

(BTW, I think it's funny that during the campaign she tried to capitalize on Obama's lack of experience, judgment and leadership with her "3 am" ads, but she has now shown she's neither physically nor mentally able to withstand the demands of campaigning nor the demands put upon the Secretary of State.)

From what I have seen, it was an error on the interpreter's part. The person asking the question actually wanted to know what Obama's opinion was, but it was translated as "Mr. Clinton."

Regardless, she reacted badly. I could see how she would be sore at the implication of the question, though. A couple of years ago she was the heir apparent for the Democratic nomination and therefore assumed to be the next US president. She was looking to make a historic bid as the first female US president, and got totally blindsided by a "community organizer" with nothing more to offer than slick style and rhetoric. After the election, it would have been difficult for her to go back to the people of New York as their senator. Many in New York (and throughout the country) accused her of carpet bagging when she sought the senate seat, but she assured everyone that she was committed to NY. If she would have then left that spot to go on and become the first female US president, I think it would have been quickly forgiven/forgotten. But to go back without even a primary win, how could she look her constituents in the eye when they questioned her loyalty?

So in that regard, accepting Obama's offer of the Secretary of State position was good in a way because it made it seem like she was going to bigger/better things. But at the same time it clipped her wings in a manner from opposing Obama in 2012. No matter how badly Obama screws up, how exactly can she criticize the Obama administration if she is part of it? And to top it off, Obama has made a mess of her pet project from 1993: socialized medicine. Essentially Obama has taken her core issue and has turned Americans against even considering such a program.

And on top of that, her role as Secretary of State has been greatly diminished from those of other Secretaries of State. She basically is sharing the role with Joe Biden and others within the administration, which would seem to be a source of embarrassment for the once almost US president, especially since it that later came out that Biden had rejected the role.

Finally, after six months under Obama, she basically gets upstaged by her husband, Bill Clinton, as he waltzes into North Korea and barters for the release of the two journalists. She’s been living under his shadow for most of her adult life, so I could see how the perceived question would create anxiety and anger.
deanhills
jmi256 wrote:
And on top of that, her role as Secretary of State has been greatly diminished from those of other Secretaries of State. She basically is sharing the role with Joe Biden and others within the administration, which would seem to be a source of embarrassment for the once almost US president, especially since it that later came out that Biden had rejected the role.
I totally agree with this, and it is my take on it too. Her role is completely diminished from other Secretaries of State, making it almost into something of an insult. Wonder whether this was done consciously by Obama as some form of revenge. I don't see anything wrong with her husband's visit to North Korea however. It's almost a Carter type of thing, where they needed someone neutral. I don't see it as having been upstaged by hubbie. Smile
coolclay
While I understand why she would be upset, this is most certainly not the first time she has "lit up" on someone. Hillary is an absolute b1tch, and has flipped out on, and gone on expletive filled diatribes on people over really stupid things in the past. This is probably one of her "nicer" rants. An entire book has been written with some absolutely horrendous quotes, check it out it's called "I've Always Been a Yankees Fan: Hillary Clinton in Her Own Words". Amazon has some sample quotes http://www.amazon.com/Ive-Always-Been-Yankees-Fan/dp/0974670189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250135614&sr=1-1.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
While I understand why she would be upset, this is most certainly not the first time she has "lit up" on someone. Hillary is an absolute b1tch, and has flipped out on, and gone on expletive filled diatribes on people over really stupid things in the past. This is probably one of her "nicer" rants. An entire book has been written with some absolutely horrendous quotes, check it out it's called "I've Always Been a Yankees Fan: Hillary Clinton in Her Own Words". Amazon has some sample quotes http://www.amazon.com/Ive-Always-Been-Yankees-Fan/dp/0974670189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250135614&sr=1-1.
I guess it was because she was on foreign soil though that it must have attracted more attention. It is one thing to put down people in the US, but people from different countries may interpret it differently. Wonder how she would have reacted if someone had thrown a shoe at her Shocked Laughing
liljp617
I haven't paid much attention to it, as it seems like just another "shock value" news headline to get viewers (which I despise)...but from what little I have seen, it seemed like a horribly worded question and either the interpreter messed up or Clinton completely missed the question. If the question seriously involved "what does Bill Clinton think," her response is understandable, although a bit exaggerated. I believe the question was "what does Obama think," and I think that was all missed in interpretation.

Ballistic? Not really. Overreacted? Slightly, but also understandable from one perspective as the way the question was interpreted made it seem like a ridiculously dumb question.