FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is your boot time? On which Operating System?

Spiritfall
I just want to know how fast your computers are. I use Windows 7 and my boot time is ~ 1:30. I want to decrease that because using Sleep brings so many problems.
After Sleep my Audio Device was not detected and I couldn't hear anything. I reinstalled the drivers and now it works even after Sleep. But then I observed that after Sleep I can't hear 5.1 sounds. Only my front speakers are working and I prefer to just Startup/Shutdown my computer.

These are just a few tweaks I tried to decrease my computer boot time:
- BIOS Quick Boot option (was already activated)
- Set Hard Drive as primary boot option
- No GUI boot in msconfig
- Enable Prefetcher only for boot files
- Delete programs for startup
- Delay the startup of necessary programs

If you know any other tweaks available just let us know Smile
Parkour_Jarrod
On Linux Ubuntu 9.04 about 40 seconds, on Windows Vista about 2:30
Peterssidan
It takes 32 seconds until my login manager displays and ~8 seconds to start up the rest after I log in. I'm using Arch Linux.
coreymanshack
Spiritfall wrote:
I just want to know how fast your computers are. I use Windows 7 and my boot time is ~ 1:30. I want to decrease that because using Sleep brings so many problems.
After Sleep my Audio Device was not detected and I couldn't hear anything. I reinstalled the drivers and now it works even after Sleep. But then I observed that after Sleep I can't hear 5.1 sounds. Only my front speakers are working and I prefer to just Startup/Shutdown my computer.

These are just a few tweaks I tried to decrease my computer boot time:
- BIOS Quick Boot option (was already activated)
- Set Hard Drive as primary boot option
- No GUI boot in msconfig
- Enable Prefetcher only for boot files
- Delete programs for startup
- Delay the startup of necessary programs

If you know any other tweaks available just let us know Smile

There's something with the option of 1 2 3 in registry that stops programs from being added to the loadup cache when your computer starts. I forgot what it was though.
Fire Boar
10 seconds to Grub, from there, 24 seconds to login screen. Logging in takes just 3 seconds before the system is ready. This is Fedora 11, running on a Dell Dimension 8300 which is about 9 years old now I believe.
Spiritfall
Fire Boar wrote:
10 seconds to Grub, from there, 24 seconds to login screen. Logging in takes just 3 seconds before the system is ready. This is Fedora 11, running on a Dell Dimension 8300 which is about 9 years old now I believe.

I installed Fedora 11 but it had errors. I couldn't establish my PPPoE connection so I removed it. Fedora was my first Linux distro but now It has too many errors. 4 or 5 years ago there was Fedora Core 4 which I installed .. and then Fedora core 5 .. 6 .. I have them all `till Fedora 8 on dvd`s. Since Fedora 9 I installed them from a dvd-rw. Now I have installed FreeBSD 7.1 updated to 7.2 because 7.2 gave me errors when trying to boot after installation.
JBotAlan
3 or 4 minutes--don't care to time it--for Windows XP on my Dell Latitude with a 1.6GHz dual core processor and 3GB of RAM.

45 seconds on the same machine for Ubuntu 9.04. Yay Jaunty Jackalope!
badai
15 seconds for BIOS, 30 seconds for vista.
traxion
around 2 a 3 min to start the computer 100%

my laptop is within 30 sec up and running Very Happy
billgertz
I have a dual boot machine windows Seven and Ubuntu 9.04

power button to grub = 4 secs
grub to Windows Seven login 18 secs
grub to Ubuntu 11 secs

Smile
saratdear
Bios to Windows XP login screen - around 2 min.
after logging in another 2 min.

It is a bit slow, but yeah, the PC is four years old.
anakin_skyrunner
<1 min... yeah, not the best but I'm satisfied with it.
ForceRun
I'm currently at about 40 secs with Windows 7, but I got a ton of hardware for the system to boot up.
I ran about 70 secs with Windows Vista.
Agent ME
About 30 seconds to the login screen, and then about 10 to 15 seconds on the first login. Ubuntu 9.04 on an Intel Core 2 Duo.
jackill
Windows7 25s to logon screen, ~5-10s to desktop.

15 s - Zenwalk Smile
shuust
I know about ideas to put linux loader to cmos
this way computer will start in 3-5 seconds Smile
coreymanshack
shuust wrote:
I know about ideas to put linux loader to cmos
this way computer will start in 3-5 seconds Smile

Please share a link with the community Smile
Diablosblizz
Both my desktop (windows 7) and my laptop (Ubuntu 9.04) boot up in about a minute. This is fully right to the desktop with MSN to load on my desktop and dropbox to load on my laptop. I'm very happy with this speed.

Also, speaking of speed, according to a research center Windows 7 does NOT boot faster than Vista, and in several cases it slows down over time (as Windows tends to do). The article is found by clicking here.
albuferque
Upon login screen(default installation) NetBSD: 23 seconds
loyal
Diablosblizz wrote:
Both my desktop (windows 7) and my laptop (Ubuntu 9.04) boot up in about a minute. This is fully right to the desktop with MSN to load on my desktop and dropbox to load on my laptop. I'm very happy with this speed.

My vista boots in about a minute and a half, and my ubuntu 9.04 boots in less than a minute. Vista takes 2 minutes to shut down. Ubuntu takes 5 seconds. lol.

Quote:

Also, speaking of speed, according to a research center Windows 7 does NOT boot faster than Vista, and in several cases it slows down over time (as Windows tends to do). The article is found by clicking here.

Awww, i'm quite disappointed. One of the main attractive features of 7 to me was its fast boot time. But the article explained that the fast boot time is simply the time for the desktop to appear, not for it to finish booting. Ubuntu 9.10 promises fast booting speeds. I can't wait; not long to go now until it's released and finished.

Peace.
jwellsy
Ubuntu ~45 sec. XP seems to be about a day and a half.
Diablosblizz
loyal wrote:
My vista boots in about a minute and a half, and my ubuntu 9.04 boots in less than a minute. Vista takes 2 minutes to shut down. Ubuntu takes 5 seconds. lol.

Is that on a desktop or laptop? My laptop takes maybe 10 seconds (Ubuntu) while Windows 7 could take 15 seconds or more. Personally, I don't care about my shutdown time that much as long as it does turn off. Smile
blueray
I haven't measured how long my machine to startup.
It may be take about 2mins to boot including exchange 2003.

But my machine was a very old one (PIII Smile )
So, it must not very correct.
coreymanshack
blueray wrote:

Could be correct, depends on what operating system you are running.
loyal
Diablosblizz wrote:
loyal wrote:

Is that on a desktop or laptop? My laptop takes maybe 10 seconds (Ubuntu) while Windows 7 could take 15 seconds or more. Personally, I don't care about my shutdown time that much as long as it does turn off. Smile

It's on my newish laptop. I like my OS to shut down fast. If windows doesn't do it fast, then I have to wait ages until it turns off and i can close the laptop lid. If I close during shutdown, windows hibernates the computer; when i next open the lid, the computer resumes shutting down.
Peace.
riyadh
my pc avarages at 1 min 30 sec. i have vista ultimate (32-bit) installed. this time is after i turned on dual-processor boot, turned down the delay from 30 secs to 5 secs, turned on no GUI boot, disabled unnecessary start-up programs and services
coreymanshack
riyadh wrote:
my pc avarages at 1 min 30 sec. i have vista ultimate (32-bit) installed. this time is after i turned on dual-processor boot, turned down the delay from 30 secs to 5 secs, turned on no GUI boot, disabled unnecessary start-up programs and services

wow you must have a lot of programs running at startup.
Jean-Clod
On my eeePC (the early one, 900 - with Celeron 900mhz..) it takes exactly 53s booting windows 7, but a slipstreamed version, may it affect the boot time (I'm sure it does Laughing )
harismushtaq
AMD Turion 64 2.0GHz 2.5GB RAM

Windows XP - 50 seconds
Ubuntu 8.10 - 60 seconds.

The time is from pressing the start button to the ready desktop with all services/processes loaded.
ProfessorY91
JBotAlan wrote:
3 or 4 minutes--don't care to time it--for Windows XP on my Dell Latitude with a 1.6GHz dual core processor and 3GB of RAM.

Bah, you don't have XP set up right and properly tweaked. You could argue that tweaking shouldn't be necessary, but for god's sake, 3 or 4 minutes with XP?! What crap are you trying to pull? Have a virus on your system? 80,000 startup items? Vista boots faster than that.

Anyways, seems linux does boot the fastest. Puppy Linux is about 20-30 seconds if I'm not mistaken, but its an extremely lightweight OS.
blueray
coreymanshack wrote:
blueray wrote:

I'am currently running Windows Server 2003 SP1.
coreymanshack
blueray wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
blueray wrote:

I'am currently running Windows Server 2003 SP1.

Well it sounds possible!
Fire Boar
ProfessorY91 wrote:
JBotAlan wrote:

Bah, you don't have XP set up right and properly tweaked. You could argue that tweaking shouldn't be necessary, but for god's sake, 3 or 4 minutes with XP?! What crap are you trying to pull? Have a virus on your system? 80,000 startup items? Vista boots faster than that.

Anyways, seems linux does boot the fastest. Puppy Linux is about 20-30 seconds if I'm not mistaken, but its an extremely lightweight OS.

It's just age - Windows XP does in fact deteriorate with age for whatever reason, booting up progressively slower and performing gradually worse as the years go by. Then when people are sick of their computer being so slow, they think they need to buy another one, forgetting how fast it was when they first got it and/or not realising that they could get it running like that again with a reinstall (which incidentally is the ONLY method for restoring all the speed you lost - cleanup only recoups a little bit of speed).
ProfessorY91
Fire Boar wrote:

It's just age - Windows XP does in fact deteriorate with age for whatever reason, booting up progressively slower and performing gradually worse as the years go by. Then when people are sick of their computer being so slow, they think they need to buy another one, forgetting how fast it was when they first got it and/or not realising that they could get it running like that again with a reinstall (which incidentally is the ONLY method for restoring all the speed you lost - cleanup only recoups a little bit of speed).

I think stripping down an Operating System such as Windows XP would keep it from slowing down. Of course, you accumulate services, startup items, and the part of the registry that deals with booting gets junked up. However, there are ways to preserve your speed.

What the University of MN does is uses Windows Steady State to keep the computer booting consistently. I've adapted the program Returnil to perform essentially the same task. It reverses any and all changes to the computer, including system changes.

The problem is that it gets annoying to disable when you really do want to install something...

I'm also pretty sure that there are numerous ways to periodically clean and restore your computer, if you want to spend the time on it, correct me if I'm wrong.[/url]
toasterintheoven
I have an AMD QuadCore, it defaults to Ubuntu from GrubLoader and generally gets there in less than 10 seconds (not counting the time it counts down from OS select menu, which is a 30 second countdown)
raneez_n
I use Ubuntu 10.10 and it takes only 15 to 30 seconds to bootup.
It's really fast and cool. try www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
ProfessorY91
One more note:
If you partition your drive so that only the XP operating system can reside on the drive (~15GB or so), and shift all your Program Files, Documents, etc ... to the other partition, you can format the partition with XP on it periodically. This is one of the best ways to speed up your system, or perform a full restore. It is not, however, one of the best ways to do a fresh install and remove viruses/malware that may have affected your system.
iman
38 sec on ubuntu 10.04.
1:48 on xp
>2 min on vista
silver67
2 minutes with Windows 7. Sad I need to get rid of some things
ahnguye5
Chrome OS on the Google Cr-48:

~13 secs to the login screen
~5 secs to load browser
ProfessorY91
Fire Boar wrote:

That's pretty damn impressive. I've heard that Archlinux can have a boot time of under 20 seconds, or thereabouts, from power button to desktop. Personally, its been a long time since I shut down my computer (instead of putting it to sleep) - yes, I know this is bad, but OS stability has actually been improving over the years. Ah, well. My computer boots fast enough, Win7 though, nowhere near the 20 or even 30 second mark. Maybe 35-40 secs if I tweak stuff.
Fire Boar
Ah, Solid-State drives have set a whole new benchmark for Linux. My dad recently got a laptop with an SSD - he's a big fan of Kile and KDE, but also Flight Simulator, so I've been helping him set up a dual-boot Windows 7/Kubuntu 11.04 environment with documents shared between the two.

The Kubuntu side is blisteringly fast. From Grub, it takes precisely two seconds to reach the login screen, and another two to fully log into KDE. The Windows is also pretty fast, but nowhere near that fast.

The reason for the big difference is most likely to do with how files are stored on disk. Windows stores files sequentially, which means the read head has to move very little to get at all the essential boot files (which are usually located together, at the start of the disk). The Linux filesystem spreads files around the disk, making it resistant to fragmentation. Unfortunately this means that the disk head has to jump about to get a series of files. While Linux is inherently faster, the difference seems much smaller because of this overhead. On a SSD however, the story is completely different. Files are retrieved essentially instantly wherever they are on disk: there are no moving parts at all. This means the overhead associated with jumping from reading one file to another is gone.

tl;dr: New personal record: 2 seconds from bootloader to login screen.
cybersa
My Computer Totally took 60 seconds to boot up.
I'm using Windows XP.
loyal
ProfessorY91 wrote:
JBotAlan wrote:

+1
In 2011, no-one should be takign that long to boot.

Quote:

My Computer Totally took 60 seconds to boot up.
I'm using Windows XP.

That's better!
portoskt
30 sec on xp is normal, i htink
cybersa
@Portoskt
Yes it is normal.
Limbless_One
16 to 20 seconds on Win 7 Ultimate
AMD FX 8150 8 core 3.6 gig overclocked to 4.0 gig
codegeek
I have Windows 7 and Windows 8 on dual boot. In general, I find that Windows 8 boots a lot faster than Windows 7. It takes about 1.5 minutes for the computer to become usable when booting with Windows 7. This is reduced to about 40 seconds (max) when using Windows 8. I am in the process of getting used to Windows 8 and soon will remove Windows 7 from my computer. Does anybody know a way to stop allowing rogue apps on Windows 8 from accessing my valuable volume-based internet?
ZeytinGrafik
i've got 4 computers.
one of them , which is a win xp computer (old one really), boots up in about 40 seconds. (with no virus program or anything)
second one a win 7 computer with win 7 boots up in about 30 seconds.
the other two are identical vista machines that boot up in about 1 minutes.
Sabbadon
about 30 seconds from when i press the button and Windows 7 is fully usable
I haven't tried with Ubuntu as i run it on a VM
taytay
I just got a nice laptop with windows 8 on it. Still getting used to some things. There's quite a few things I don't like too much.

Intel i7-3840QM 2.8GHz
16Gig DDR3 Ram 1600
2x1TB (5400rpm) in raid 0
ATI 7970m (the mobile version might as well be called the 7870 normal version. performs the same)

14.6 Seconds, from pushing the power button to windows loading screen.
11.5 Seconds, from windows loading screen to login screen
8 Seconds, from login screen to metro to desktop. ( took about 1 second to get from metro to desktop)

So roughly 35 seconds for computer to be completely ready
And about 19 Second for windows to be ready to use

This is an improvement from when I had 1 hard drive in it. I've got this boss laptop, with a 5400rpm hard drive in it.. for what I paid for it I was very surprised it wasn't a 7200rpm hard drive. Having two of them in raid 0 at least makes it perform around 10k. Hoping later to upgrade to 7200rpm drives. Every little bit extra you can get on a laptop is a grand improvement! Also waiting for an mSata 64 ssd cache drive to arrive. will have 48 for cache for windows to boost performance, 16gig for intels rapid start technology. I'll post again once it comes.
melmoth
I use Gentoo (Gnu/Linux) and it takes slightly less that 9 seconds to boot from Thinkpad logo to Xterm. I use SSD, I have a kernel of quite big mess, and also some not really necessary services that load at startup. So it could be very possible to make this even faster.
sysna
It is around 15 seconds for my Ubuntu to boot and i think it takes around 60 seconds for my win 7 to boot on my Asus N56 Laptop, but these times can be greatly improved with a SSD because hardware is very powerful i think.
taytay
Got an SSD for my moms computer. Once the system starts loading from the Hard Drive, it's 15 seconds to full ready to use. My bios likes to do a lot of checks for some reason, so total time is 30 seconds.. but loading is so dag fast once it does! Every program opens in under a second. The only thing I'm held back on now is my processor. Tried comparing loading Heroes of Newerth (all I had to test on the computer without testing anything) to my gaming laptop. My laptop has raid 0 with w 5.4k drives, and an awesome i7. my moms has SSD with an A6 2.8Ghz Quad. Load times are about the same... given, Heroes of Newerth keeps it's game files stored in Zip files. So the load times mostly depend on how fast your processor can extract what it needs from the large zip. so it balances out between computers. Which is good considering my moms computer was nearly 1600 cheaper than my laptop... laptop = Beefy CPU with ok Raid 0, desktop = basic Quad CPU with beefy SSD. Now I'm saving to get dual SSD's in my laptop... sickness!
harrer
Takes my system 32 seconds to boot and ready to use. Running Debian XFCE on i5, 6 GB RAM.
Da Rossa
I didn't measure mine with a stopwatch, but I has reduced time significantly when I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8. Windows 8 is really better. Only has some admin-permissions glitches such as making drag-and-drop more difficult. So when it comes to boot time, Windows 8 is really better than 7.
Arrogant
My Windows XP starts in 15 seconds..
Haven't checked with ubuntu
Da Rossa
What?? 15secs with XP? Please tell us your setup and settings you've made to come to this lightspeed!