FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's the best OS simulator you got?

jdelfire
Hey fellow frihosters I'd like to know and find out what's the best OS simulators that you are using.
Currently I'm using quite a few like:

http://chasms.com
http://va.zensupport.co.uk/
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/navigation/mainandoss/windowsoss/

Anything that you guys can share will definitely be a big help.
Thanks in advance
Fire Boar
What exactly are you after? Testing out operating systems out of curiosity? Testing a webpage in multiple browsers on multiple platforms to see if it works? If we don't know your goals, any advice will probably be too general to be of any real use.
JBotAlan
I had never seen sites like this before in this tone. I mean, I've seen WinRG (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/winrg), but I've never seen them be serious about it. What possible use could these sites serve? They are just collections of pictures linked together, nothing more. Seriously, there must be a use for them...maybe. I can't imagine one, though. Maybe in user training? Question

In all seriousness, I thought this topic was about virtualization. If you are looking for a way to run another OS on top of whatever OS you are running, you can use something like VirtualBox (open-source, free) or VMWare (not so much) to do so. This is actually useful.
traxion
try VMware as OS-simulator

the best program i've ever worked with for that proposel
noah
Quote:

In all seriousness, I thought this topic was about virtualization. If you are looking for a way to run another OS on top of whatever OS you are running, you can use something like VirtualBox (open-source, free) or VMWare (not so much) to do so. This is actually useful.

VMware has many free products.
albuferque
I've not seen this before, but it's quite similar to CompTIA A+ Windows Simulator which offers many Control Panel scenarios.
tony
I use QEMU (with the KVM module) for virtualisation. Check it out! It used to be slow but these days the performance is right up there with Virtualbox, etc. imo.
Fatality
I can see where some people might want to use a web-based preview of an OS like this, but I think it would be much more beneficial to just boot up a VM and view all aspects of the OS first hand. I've done this with multiple server environments, Linux and Windows products.

I use Virtual Box and love it.
sreservoir
Fatality wrote:
I can see where some people might want to use a web-based preview of an OS like this,

Would you explain? I don't.

Quote:
but I think it would be much more beneficial to just boot up a VM and view all aspects of the OS first hand. I've done this with multiple server environments, Linux and Windows products.

...because this is generally a better idea.

Quote:
I use Virtual Box and love it.

I use xen. It's nice.

For people who want to buy the operating system, I suppose, but if you have to use these demos to see what you're getting, why do you even want to use the system? And in any case, couldn't you just go to the nearest computer store which probably has functioning demonstrations of the systems they're selling?

If you're doing training with these, then you're doing something wrong. If you have the system, train people on the real thing. If not, why are you training people on it?

And if you want to use it but don't want to mess with your current computer, that's what virtualization is for.
menino
Xen is good - I've seen it in action. I've yet to try and install it and have hands on experience with it, But I love VMware - its simply powerful and amazing.

I tried Microsoft virtual server / pc and its not as great.

I'm going to try parallels virtuozzo containers as well.
biljap
I like VirtualBox; it is very easy to use. I had a problem with it after I updated it… It constantly reported me error that my installed OS is not attached to it Shocked but everything worked without any problems…
shuust
I agree Sun Virtual Box is good and free.
sheedatali
It is amazing that everyone is very happy to express their opinion but no one actually gave useful response to what the original poster asked for. I personally do not use these, but for those who are interested, these are really cheap way to demo your product, it is easy for Customer Support guys to point a user on the phone to take through things step by step remotely as the customer will only have to open a web page to see this. And of course they can be customized to show anything.

Virtualization is totally different and has its place, but this sort of stuff is useful in certain environments where Virtualized OS is not the option.
jackill
Few years ago I had Windows ME - it was really OS Simulator Very Happy It was worse than Win 98 Very Happy Fortunatelly, soon later, MS released XP Smile
Bielhelm
Try Amiga OS X on a PC. --> its an Commodore Amiga OS over QNX OS on a PC.

on a windows server 2003 machine was running a virtual Vmserver ... with a xp machine on it.
inside the XP machine was running an Vmwareserver emulating windows 98
inside that machine was running a dos 6.22 emulation with dos-native (patched) and inside that a commodore 64 emulation CCS2.0 of "Hearts of Africa" Smile But we couldn´t establish the keys to
run that thing completely... Smile
sheedatali
Bielhelm wrote:
Try Amiga OS X on a PC. --> its an Commodore Amiga OS over QNX OS on a PC.

on a windows server 2003 machine was running a virtual Vmserver ... with a xp machine on it.
inside the XP machine was running an Vmwareserver emulating windows 98
inside that machine was running a dos 6.22 emulation with dos-native (patched) and inside that a commodore 64 emulation CCS2.0 of "Hearts of Africa" Smile But we couldn´t establish the keys to
run that thing completely... Smile

Did you actually read the post before giving your response? What is the point of your post if it is some gibberish you just want to say instead of talking relevant to post ?
bigt
traxion wrote:
try VMware as OS-simulator

the best program i've ever worked with for that proposel

This is what I use if I don't have a spare box to load the OS on.
Jamestf347
VM-ware is the only thing i can think of, but then again your questions isn't too clear O.o
Bielhelm
the post opens with: What's the best OS simulator you got?

We had several tests at work running. Vmware needs a special treatment running up installs over
a TCP/IP Network. We found out that it was the bios code emulating a pc.

so i can tell you again: Vmware is it. Because i tell you that VMware is nothing more like a good emulating software for every OS you want from windows.
99,8 Percent are clean inside the code, but the BIOS is a mess. So VMWARE is nothing more in my eyes like a simulator.