FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Yahoo is blocking my site's emails

Magicman
I've been trying to send emails from my site to my yahoo email account. However, they never get to my email and instead I get an email back basically saying that yahoo has ip banned all emails from my site. I've never spammed so I don't know why they are banning me like I was a spammer. Is there something either I or frihost can do to fix this?
sheedatali
Well it is not easy to get this fixed. The problem is that spam can originate from Frihost IP's when some idiot uses their account for stupid purposes or writes code open to attack. The only way is to raise a support ticket to Yahoo and ask them to remove the IP from blacklist, however it will get added again as soon as someone sends spam again.
Magicman
So there is nothing I can really do about this?
It seems Frihost should require people to register their mailing scripts so they can be checked for vulnerabilities or malicious activity. However, I don't know if this would be possible to enforce.

I also found out that the Frihost mail server was on the Backscatter.org blacklist. I don't know if the adjustments suggested that would keep the server from being listed are something I can do or if it is something that would have to be done by someone with higher server administration access.
sheedatali
Many companies, including Yahoo use a frontend service such Postini/Message Labs etc to filter mail coming through to them. These filtering companies have very aggressive algorithms and practically use any list available for information source. Unsolicited spam can originate from anywhere, since Frihost hosting IP address is shared by many users, if any of them sends Spam out, it gets marked in one of the lists due to reports about Spam. All of the users pay the price for one stupid individual on the server. There is not much you can do about this, Yahoo probably will not communicate directly to you, and you will not get through to Postini/Message Labs. The only person who can get the IP/Domain unlisted from a Spam list is the owner of IP/Domain i-e Frihost. However I assume there are so many reports of such Spam cases, Frihost will probably not bother about it.

I am sorry to paint a grim picture but that is how it works, if sending mail is very important to you, then get a paid service to send mail, or if you do not mind to show where the mail originated from in mail headers, then use Yahoo/Gmail SMTP server to send the mail out (yahoo.co.uk/Gmail is free). They filter outgoing mail too, so they are trusted by 95% ESMTP servers on the internet. Hope this helps.
shkhanal
The same thing is happening to me as well. Its so sad that this good service could be lame due to the dumb heads.

Would there be any other way out so that I could communicate to my members through email from my site?
baalz4
Magicman wrote:
I've been trying to send emails from my site to my yahoo email account. However, they never get to my email and instead I get an email back basically saying that yahoo has ip banned all emails from my site. I've never spammed so I don't know why they are banning me like I was a spammer. Is there something either I or frihost can do to fix this?

Yahoo mails are provided for free account creation.So they have some restrictions and have control over the mail account.It's better you can have a personal email account from the website www.thewebpole.com The Web Pole email not only gives you a personalized address but powerful protection against viruses and spam, easy-to-use tools like Calendar and Online File Folder and much more.