FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Garmin Nuvi maps

Tony The Tiger
I just got a replacement Garmin Nuvi straight from Garmin last month. Today, I drove to Milwaukee, which has been renovating its downtown highways the last few years. I think the roads were laid out differently than the Garmin believed them to be. I got lost and had to make some compensating U-turns and such to get where I wanted to go. How can I determine if I have the latest maps programmed into my Nuvi and can I update the maps if I do not have them? I believe the current roads have been laidout like they are now for at least a year. The nuvi should have the correct info by now, IMO.
JBotAlan
Tut tut...you should've done your research first!

http://www8.garmin.com/updatemaps/

Here's the deal: map data isn't free. NAVTEQ (the data supplier to Garmin...and TomTom...and Google Very Happy ) makes big bucks mapping out those new streets. Therefore, you have some options here. First, if your nuvi is less than 2 months old, you may qualify for one free update. Beyond that, it is $70 and up for a single update, or $120 for a lifetime subscription, in which you get "up to four (4) map Data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin’s website, for one (1) compatible Garmin product until your product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map Data from NAVTEQ, whichever is shorter."

So...that's probably disappointing news, but there it is.
driftingfe3s
I just updated my Garmin Nuvi to the latest 2010 maps a few days ago. One way you can check your map information is by going to "settings", then clicking on "map info" at the bottom". From there you can check which maps you have on your Garmin Nuvi and which maps are enabled.
Tony The Tiger
driftingfe3s wrote:
I just updated my Garmin Nuvi to the latest 2010 maps a few days ago. One way you can check your map information is by going to "settings", then clicking on "map info" at the bottom". From there you can check which maps you have on your Garmin Nuvi and which maps are enabled.

O.K. I see what you are talking about and I have "City Navigator Lower 48 States NT 2009" How do I update these maps to 2010 maps like you did. Do I have to pay for an update or can I get them for free somewhere (possibly online)?
Tony The Tiger
driftingfe3s wrote:

I just downloaded the webupdater and have run the software which looks for Garmin software updates, voice updates for various languages and text updates for various languages. The only other update that it offered me the opportunity to obtain was a GPS chipset update. I am trying this, but I doubt that it is going to update my maps when I do so. I have also found a map update page at https://my.garmin.com/maps/updates.htm?in=true&ni=other& It is pointing me to map subscriptions and such. It even told me it knows which maps are on my Nuvi and then when I clicked on the updates available button it took me to the subscriptions page.