FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Server

gaspar
How can i create a server?
raildr
Do you want to make your computer act like a sever for developmwnt work?

Do you want a seperate box hooked to your network?

Both are easily doable, please provide more info on what you are trying to do.
Summer
You mean using your current computer ?

It can become a server easily if :
- Your internet connection is broadband or higher (so that visitor that surf to ur website(your pc) won't feel laggy )
- Your pc's security is good and firewall is set-up correctly .
- You have Apache , PHP , MySQL installed on your computer .
venkateshwarans
If what you want is a webserver. Check out www.apache-ssl.org. This gives a stable server. Instead of downloading php, mysql... one by one. You could always go for a web server suite like develporeside.net suite. It's website - www.devside.net. It's free too. Makes the job easier. It is always better to have a seperate server with good specs rather than converting ur comp to server. Still the comp to server is not bad either.
venkateshwarans
If what you want is a webserver. Check out www.apache-ssl.org. This gives a stable server. Instead of downloading php, mysql... one by one. You could always go for a web server suite like develporeside.net suite. It's website - www.devside.net. It's free too. Makes the job easier. It is always better to have a seperate server with good specs rather than converting ur comp to server. Still the comp to server is not bad either.
elcyron
gaspar wrote:
How can i create a server?

notice: a server is not always a standalone machine but rather more a program that provides a service(mostly over the network).
most operationsystems are ready to serve multiple services

so the question is what service do you need? easiest way for a fileserver is to share a directory in windows. apache for a webserver was already mentioned above, if you want to boost it up with mysql and php take a look at the mambo standalone server at [url]mamboforge.net[/url]

the services yo want to provide the you'd like to take a look at a linux distribution. they usually bring everything you'll ever need
mark
Do you have Windows XP professional? It is a built in Web Server. You can easily host websites on your PC. One important thing in Broadband speed you need is that your upstream speed must also be high. Downstream downloads information on to your pc. Upstream is uploading. So, don't bother about downstream. Normally with 256 K broadband, uptream speed is 64. It increases as you increase your broadband speed.
mwm
This is all great information provided to this request. However it all boils down to one thing.

MORE INFO NEEDED. A stand alone server or your current PC? What will the server do (file/print, web...)?

With this info you'll get a lot more information from the forum.

-mwm
MonkeyWrench
you need to be more specific, just saying a server could mean anything, u mean hosting a game on ur pc? or buying a server?
heavyx
yeah what kind of server:game server , web server , email server,etc
Defsanguje
otiscom
Use home webserver it's free!
Simulator
If you and just want to use it on your computer so no one outside your network then use EasyPHP
kany
I would like to recommend you Apache, and use php and mysql with it. I have myself installed these three on my computer for testing purposes and they work well. Also most of the web servers are apache. so go on with it.
kany
WEll installation of php is always a bit dodgy here are a few steps extracted from the manuals that might make your life a bit easy.

Make php5ts.dll available at
main php directory
windows sytem directory.
web server's directory

Rename php.ini-dist and copy it to windows folder

Edit php.ini file
Edit your new php.ini file. If you plan to use OmniHTTPd, do not follow the next step. Set the doc_root to point to your web
servers document_root. For example:

doc_root = c:\inetpub // for IIS/PWS

doc_root = c:\apache\htdocs // for Apache

extension_dir = path to extendions dir if php_*.dll files

Choose the extensions you would like to load when PHP starts
for extensions copy the corresponding dll file to the windows directory

On PWS and IIS, you can set the browscap configuration setting to
point to: c:\windows\system\inetsrv\browscap.ini on Windows 9x/Me,
c:\winnt\system32\inetsrv\browscap.ini on NT/2000, and
c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\browscap.ini on XP

insert these lines to your Apache configuration file

LoadModule php5_module "h:/php/php5apache.dll"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php3 .phtml
AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps

PHPIniDir "C:/windows"

Look for directoryindex and add the index.php index.php3 etc
DirectoryIndex index.html ... index.php index.php3 index.phtml

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
otiscom
Check your ISP alows enough bandwidth
Prabhu Raj
If you want your machine to be a web server then install IIS or PWS or Apache webserver in your machine depending on your operating system.

Get a statinc ip from your ISP and configure your webser to your needs.

If you want your machine to be a domain server then you must have windows 2000 or 2003 installed in your machine and you must have Active directory services, DNS, installed on your machine.

Have a nice day.