FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I hate yahoo.

spring567
When you register a domain .us from yahoo as $1 first time,yahoo will renew automately as $34.95 without you authentication.
austinmark
i think yahoo is quite slow .We receive mails a bit late .But gmail is the best .Even now there are many of the sites providing mail facility
deanhills
spring567 wrote:
When you register a domain .us from yahoo as $1 first time,yahoo will renew automately as $34.95 without you authentication.
What would have happened if you had renewed your credit card and they used the information of your expired card? Sort of does not make sense to me?
Fatality
If you're trying to register a domain name then don't use Yahoo. That first time fee of $1 is to persuade you to choose their service; then you charge you way more then any of the other domain registration sites.

Use www.godaddy.com www.domainzoo.com or another site that specifically deals with web hosting services.
cemica
I do not like Yahoo either.
A few years ago I used Yahoo e-mail, but I do not like it. I do not know wh, but just...
Now I am used Gmail for a 2 years and I think, it is the best mail service provider. Very Happy
Bluedoll
Is there any fine print in the agreement. Still it sounds like bad business practice to me. Get your money back right away and if you don't get a response from them, threaten to make some waves.

Don't think any company is too big or too powerful to forget about their public relations. Public relations after all can make or break a company. It is not much of a service, if a company is cheating or misleading its customers.

Definitely write down you complaint and send it, keep sending it, until you get satisifaction. You should not have to pay for something you are not happy with. On the other hand recheck your agreement with them, maybe you misunderstood something and take in to consideration for your next business transaction that one dollar purchases are usually hooks for something a little larger.

Myself I hate that kind of marketing scheme and don't like dealing with companies that use them. I would prefer a clean, clear, honest and upfront proposal right from the get go.
Vrythramax
It's standard practice all over for automatic renewal of domains by default, and yes you CAN opt out of it AFTER you complete the registration process.

All new domain(s) are asked for certain contact info that must be verfied by your choice of verification methods...one of the mandatory contacts is the Billing contact (others are Administrative (owner), Tech, and Zone) which is contacted before the domain expires as a reminder.

Yahoo's price for renewal is a bit steep, but they are only following standard practice...which you will all go through when you register your first domain(s).
deanhills
Why register a domain through Yahoo though? Why not do the registration direct? Frihost can then host your Website for free.

I like Yahoo, but since Yahoo, Google, etc. are such large organizations, I'd hate to be in a business relationship with them where things are "automatic" with my credit card. Most of their replies are "automatic" too, and you cannot reply to their replies. Once they have your credit card on "automatic" it may take a lot of effort to get it "undone". I had that experience with PayPal and EBay. Which I think is much worse. They never really got into my credit card, but it took long distance calls and lots of hard talking for them to cancel my PayPal account. That was my first experience with an on-line organization that would be able to do billings automatically with my credit card. Once I realized what it could do, as well as had done some searches on the Internet (there are plenty of anti-PayPal ex-customers around) and realized what was happening, I did everything I could to ensure that I have no account with PayPal.
Hogwarts
deanhills wrote:
Why register a domain through Yahoo though? Why not do the registration direct? Frihost can then host your Website for free

Uh? How much more 'direct' could you be? o_O

I know of people using Yahoo! domains on Frihost, there's no problem there. *kind of wonders if you've ever used a domain before o_o*
deanhills
Hogwarts wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Why register a domain through Yahoo though? Why not do the registration direct? Frihost can then host your Website for free

Uh? How much more 'direct' could you be? o_O

I know of people using Yahoo! domains on Frihost, there's no problem there. *kind of wonders if you've ever used a domain before o_o*
You're right, I have not used a domain before. Embarassed I thought a domain was something with a dot com behind it. You can register any domain direct, but some hosts offer special deals (or deals that have the appearance of special). I'm a little "dim" here, I did not get what you meant with:
Quote:
"How much more 'direct' could you be?'
except that I may have said something that could have been undiplomatic? If yes, you're right, it must have been due to complete ignorance. Could you let me know what it is?
Hogwarts
deanhills wrote:
Quote:
"How much more 'direct' could you be?'
except that I may have said something that could have been undiplomatic? If yes, you're right, it must have been due to complete ignorance. Could you let me know what it is?

Domains need to be registered through a registrar; that's as high up the hierarchy you can go without becoming a registrar yourself.

If you're talking about "special deals", that's not really anything to do with direct-ness <_<

Perhaps you meant that you should always buy just a domain instead of a bundled package; which would make more sense -- although they would still give you complete control over the domain name.
deanhills
Hogwarts wrote:
Perhaps you meant that you should always buy just a domain instead of a bundled package; which would make more sense -- although they would still give you complete control over the domain name.
No, I meant that a large host such as Yahoo would not be a good provider to do domain deals with. I doubt I want to go further than this a this may border on breaking Frihost Rules and Regulations.
jmlworld
spring567 wrote:

Of course, Yahoo is the most annoying service, and though they are BIG company they don't show respect to their users/customers. You have seen how Flickr dares to delete your photos in a false claim of copyright infringement, you have seen how their email slow and spammy, and you have seen their hosting policy. Even free hosts are better than theirs.

I totally moved from Yahoo one year ago and I really feel Google is good destination. It would be fine if the Google guys add hosting/registrar plans in their project and they would be the complete fan favourite company.
Vrythramax
deanhills wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:
No, I meant that a large host such as Yahoo would not be a good provider to do domain deals with. I doubt I want to go further than this a this may border on breaking Frihost Rules and Regulations.

Actually in this sense the bigger the better. The bigger companies have an established online reputation (good or bad) and they will be there tomorrow as opposed to smaller registrars that can go out of business without warning. The larger registrars can also afford to cut you better deals as they work in bulk numbers and not on a case by case basis. Many smaller registrars are actually just re-sellers for the larger companies. If you research the company your doing business with properly you'll more often than not find that you are actually doing business with the big boys anyway...just paying a higher price markup than by going directly to them.

The only thing this conversation is in danger of violating is posting in the wrong forum, possibly it belongs in one of the support forums (I'll let someone with more experience with proper forum posting decide if it should be moved). We aren't advertising another webhost or anything...THAT would be a violation of Frihost Policy.
Ghost Rider103
Thanks for pointing out that they automatically charge you. I also have a few domain registered with Yahoo! myself. Not knowing that their second term payment is more than TRIPLE what I paid the first time.

I am transferring them as soon as I can.

Quote:
I'll let someone with more experience with proper forum posting decide if it should be moved.

Taken care of...reported. Very Happy
standready
Yahoo! My domain registar will allow me to "opt in" to automatic renewal. Never have.
Look for a "opt out" option before signing any agreements. Good reputable companies always have "opt" choices one way or the other.
deanhills
Vrythramax wrote:
The only thing this conversation is in danger of violating is posting in the wrong forum, possibly it belongs in one of the support forums (I'll let someone with more experience with proper forum posting decide if it should be moved). We aren't advertising another webhost or anything...THAT would be a violation of Frihost Policy.
That was the rule I was worried I may be breaking if I said what I wanted to say. Smile What I wanted to say was that small companies may be easier to deal with as at least there is a good chance (provided of course you are dealing with a reputable company) that you would get a reply to your enquiries, or you could even get hold of support staff on the phone. I'd rather miss on the big brother deal that saves 10 dollars or a little more than that, than having to untangle something when it has gone wrong with them and being unable to deal with a live person and mostly a bunch of automated replies.
ydyycs
Gmail is the best . i have a gmail. Very Happy Gmail is fast ! My domain in Godaddy . Arrow
James007
This isn't the best mail service topic. Mind that please.
spring567
Bluedoll wrote:
Is there any fine print in the agreement. Still it sounds like bad business practice to me. Get your money back right away and if you don't get a response from them, threaten to make some waves.

Don't think any company is too big or too powerful to forget about their public relations. Public relations after all can make or break a company. It is not much of a service, if a company is cheating or misleading its customers.

Definitely write down you complaint and send it, keep sending it, until you get satisifaction. You should not have to pay for something you are not happy with. On the other hand recheck your agreement with them, maybe you misunderstood something and take in to consideration for your next business transaction that one dollar purchases are usually hooks for something a little larger.

Myself I hate that kind of marketing scheme and don't like dealing with companies that use them. I would prefer a clean, clear, honest and upfront proposal right from the get go.

It's hard to contact Yahoo!. The Yahoo contact page http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/contactus/ always notice you:
Sorry!
We offer phone and email support only to Small Business customers, and our records don't show any Small Business products associated with your Yahoo! ID.

I don't want to have a long call as I am in China . But I can't find Yahoo's email address . Can you help me ?
Nameless
I don't think the OP's reason for hating Yahoo is entirely valid, although I share the sentiment for other reasons ... Many, MANY companies from all kinds of services hook users in with low initial costs and automatically charge them higher amounts later. It's annoying, but avoidable by perusal of the fine print, remembering to opt out / cancel where applicable and careful choice of who you go with.
Parkour_Jarrod
spring567 wrote:
Bluedoll wrote:

It's hard to contact Yahoo!. The Yahoo contact page http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/contactus/ always notice you:
Sorry!
We offer phone and email support only to Small Business customers, and our records don't show any Small Business products associated with your Yahoo! ID.

I don't want to have a long call as I am in China . But I can't find Yahoo's email address . Can you help me ?

A typical thing to try would be admin@yahoo.com (or whatever the stupid mail is) or services@yahoo

Mostly find out who was the creator and put

(firstinitial).(lastname)@yahoo
or
(lastinitial).(firstname)@yahoo
or
(firstname).(lastinitial)@yahoo
etc etc

Its how i managed to get through to vodafone
i got a direct responce in about 3 days
spring567
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
spring567 wrote:
Bluedoll wrote:

Sorry!

A typical thing to try would be admin@yahoo.com (or whatever the stupid mail is) or services@yahoo

or
or
etc etc

admin@yahoo.com is invalid. I got return message as following:
Quote:

Message from yahoo.com.
Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).

<admin@yahoo.com>:
This address no longer accepts mail.
Parkour_Jarrod
spring567 wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
spring567 wrote:
Bluedoll wrote:

Sorry!

or
or
etc etc

admin@yahoo.com is invalid. I got return message as following:
Quote:

Message from yahoo.com.
Unable to deliver message to the following address(es).

<admin@yahoo.com>:
This address no longer accepts mail.

Hmm, well, not sure then, seems Yahoo gets too many complaints and just shut it off
airh3ad
Here is my experience in yahooo it all started when I wanted to sync my work Outlook to Yahoo so that my work event would show up in my personal calendar and vice versa. What do think happens, a cryptic error that is wrong. “Cannot log into Yahoo. Please check your user name and password and try again.” Well actually, you dumb program, if you enter a wrong user name and password you will get a prompt to re-enter them again. not so being a happy when i was a premium member that I am, I search Yahoo help. No luck. Oh here is phone number for premium members. Thats Me! Joy, my problems are solved!one day i call Yahoo support line and ask about Intellisync. Well they can’t help but they can give me a number, OK. I also asked two other questions while I had them on the phone, but I will come back to that.

when I called the Intellisync support number and find that it is no longer in service. I call Yahoo back and let them know. They tell me that since they just found out that the number no longer works that I should send a message to support via one of the web-based forms. OK, bye Yahoo support. I submit the form with my Intellisync problem and sure enough I get an auto-response that says they don’t f’ing support Intellisync what are they doing in the office support i mean yahoo support?. better to used webmail than webased mail
deanhills
airh3ad wrote:
Here is my experience in yahooo it all started when I wanted to sync my work Outlook to Yahoo so that my work event would show up in my personal calendar and vice versa. What do think happens, a cryptic error that is wrong. “Cannot log into Yahoo. Please check your user name and password and try again.” Well actually, you dumb program, if you enter a wrong user name and password you will get a prompt to re-enter them again. not so being a happy when i was a premium member that I am, I search Yahoo help. No luck. Oh here is phone number for premium members. Thats Me! Joy, my problems are solved!one day i call Yahoo support line and ask about Intellisync. Well they can’t help but they can give me a number, OK. I also asked two other questions while I had them on the phone, but I will come back to that.

when I called the Intellisync support number and find that it is no longer in service. I call Yahoo back and let them know. They tell me that since they just found out that the number no longer works that I should send a message to support via one of the web-based forms. OK, bye Yahoo support. I submit the form with my Intellisync problem and sure enough I get an auto-response that says they don’t f’ing support Intellisync what are they doing in the office support i mean yahoo support?. better to used webmail than webased mail
I find when I start to look for Yahoo help, I continue to go into loops and loops within loops. If I try hard enough, I do find a "help" contact address, and I have had responses, not immediately, but eventually. But usually I would have had to look for the contact e-mail address outside the help page that is offered for a specific product or service, as I think their policy must be not to have to enter into e-mail correspondence until all avenues have been exhausted. They then give you possibilities within possibilities that you have to choose from, sort of frustrating and not very good for mental health Twisted Evil
mtorregiani
That's why they offer domains that cheap, so then can catch you to pay more...
eshazz
I personally do not mind using Yahoo search engine yet when it comes to domain names i wouldn't recommend them due to this problem. With a bit of authentication ti would be ok.
Jaan
yahoo sucks. never trust their webhosting, search or anything. anything they do, google does it a million times better. just look at their respective forbes ranking.... there's no use in arguing over fact
deanhills
Jaan wrote:
yahoo sucks. never trust their webhosting, search or anything. anything they do, google does it a million times better. just look at their respective forbes ranking.... there's no use in arguing over fact
I don't see any facts in this posting though so what can we argue about? Why should we not trust Yahoo's webhosting? What is wrong with Yahoo's searches, and what makes Google a million times better? What has forbes ranking got to do with services?
Star Wars Fanatic
From what I've heard, the cost of renewing a .com is ridiculous, you can get it for ~ $9 at many other registrars every year. GoDaddy, Namespace, ect...

I wouldn't use Yahoo unless I get a good deal on the first year, and transferred it right after that.