FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I need to buy a computer

Arty
My budget is about $1000.
My parents are paying for it. I don't quite know how to "build" one myself, and my parents probably wouldn't allow me to do so, so I have to either order one or buy one retail.

I need the best that I can get for less than $1000. I don't have much money so I won't be able to replace it, so I don't want it to become "outdated" for at least 2 years.

I need it to handle some games with high graphics (good graphics card), convert stuff at a decent speed (good processor), and be able to multi task efficiently (at least 4GB ram and a dual/quad core processor).

Where should I go to order such a computer?
jinger89
The first brand that comes to mind when you ask for a decently cheap computer is a Dell. Personally I'm not crazy about them, cause they are kinda clunky and I've heard that their quality isn't great. However, they are inexpensive.

If you can dish out the money, I suggest a Lenovo (previously owned by IBM). I've owned an IBM laptop before and that thing lasted me for 4 years without a hitch. I accidently chipped off a few pieces and gave it a few scrapes, but all in all it was built like a rock. I've dropped it a few times and it survived through it all.
Hogwarts
jinger89 wrote:
If you can dish out the money, I suggest a Lenovo (previously owned by IBM). I've owned an IBM laptop before and that thing lasted me for 4 years without a hitch. I accidently chipped off a few pieces and gave it a few scrapes, but all in all it was built like a rock. I've dropped it a few times and it survived through it all.

I agree, here. IBM computers are easily the best in my book when it comes to pre-made (including both PCs and laptops). Not sure if you'd get one capable of what you want for the price though.

Also, avoid quad-cores (with the exception of Nehalem units), as they're not at all good in comparison to a roughly equivalent dual core (which would be faster). The main advantage is gained from running Windows on one core and your software on the other -- going beyond that, you kind of lose that advantage (hence, Nehalem is the only reasonable greater-than-two-core unit)
noah
You have two choices Dell or IBM. IBM Is a bit more for what you get, but it's worth it. You could get a nice used IBM laptop on Ebay for well under 1k. If you go the DELL route you need to order from their small business line. Better warranty, actual Americans who speak English, and better finish and structure on the notebooks.
Arty
I'm actually looking for a desktop.
noah
Arty wrote:
I'm actually looking for a desktop.

The same still applies....Order from Small Business on Dell.
gueda
what country do you live? In my country the electornic things like computer is expensive. I agree with the others, if you cannot build one computer by yourself, the best thing is DELL or IBM. Why? Great factorys and support
ForceRun
It matters what you plan to use it for. What are the main apps that are you planning to run? Need to store a bunch of files, like music or videos? Gamer, and what kind of games?
pajser
I asume he is a gamer.
Alaskacameradude
Well, it wasn't under 1000, but I bought a quad core Nehalem Mac Pro and it is absolutely
awesome! Course I use it for work so I could afford to spend a little more I guess. I like it
cause I can have a Mac partition to run Final Cut Pro and my video editing stuff, and have
a Windows partition for some of my other things I do.....and it IS significantly faster than
a dual core.......
ForceRun
Thats a lot more than $1000, and watch out for most standard desktop, as they don't come video cards and a few don't even come a slot for video cards.
Parkour_Jarrod
ForceRun wrote:
Thats a lot more than $1000, and watch out for most standard desktop, as they don't come video cards and a few don't even come a slot for video cards.

He said MAc pro, it shas 2 slots can handle 32 gigs ram and has the best designed case for efficiency out there... basically the most powerful off the shelf computer aviliable in the world

http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html
Alaskacameradude
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
ForceRun wrote:

He said MAc pro, it shas 2 slots can handle 32 gigs ram and has the best designed case for efficiency out there... basically the most powerful off the shelf computer aviliable in the world

http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

You beat me too it! LOL. Ya, this computer is a BEAST! It can pretty much do anything you are
looking for....including HD gaming. I bought it for my video production business as I have to edit
HD video and other things like that, so I spent more money than most people would on a computer,
cause it will be making me money. But it is quite the workstation, now I just have to throw a few
1TB harddrives in in, and buy a Blu Ray burning drive for the second optical bay.
ForceRun
I was talking about basic $1,000 computers Dell, HP, and so on.

And your Mac Pro starts $2,499 which if you do the math is a LOT more than $1,000. I will agree that it is a nice computer, as my father has one. But price to price he spent $3,500 for the hardware and $2,500 on software to get his system up and going. While I on the Windows side have spent under $1,200 and have a system that is very comparable, for mush less then the $6,000 he dropped to put his together.