FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Some photography of western animals, hiking PART 2

Afaceinthematrix
This is a response to Ocalhoun's post with a picture of a bison that he saw while hiking. I thought I would post a couple of pictures of animals that I've seen while hiking.

This is a black bear that I saw when I was about 6 days and 50 miles into a hiking trip a few years back:

Here is a picture of a grizzly bear and bison that I saw a few days ago (I wasn't actually hiking while I saw this one - I was driving through Lamar Valley, which is in Wyoming, Yellowstone near the border of Montana):

ocalhoun
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
This is a response to Ocalhoun's post with a picture of a bison that he saw while hiking. I thought I would post a couple of pictures of animals that I've seen while hiking.

Imitation? I'm flattered, really.

I'd be very leery of meeting a bear while on foot... I'd probably have a weapon in hand, not a camera.
Afaceinthematrix
ocalhoun wrote:
I'd be very leery of meeting a bear while on foot... I'd probably have a weapon in hand, not a camera.

I've seen hundreds of bears while on foot; it's inevitable when you spend days at a time in the back country away from civilization - where bears like to hang out. They're misunderstood and not very dangerous. Black bears, like the first one, are no concern of mine. They actually try to avoid people. They do not like confrontation. I've been bluffed charged a couple of times (but it was always my fault - once I was bluff charged by a bear because I was less than 10 feet away from her cubs). I'll go hiking by myself when around black bears because they seriously pose very little threat.

Grizzly bears are more dangerous, though. I have ran into them on foot on several occasions. That one next to the Bison was actually on the side of a road, though. I wasn't on foot. With grizzlies, just make sure to carry some mace with you and you should be fine. I've never had a weapon on me and I never will (unless I'm hunting, of course).

I worry about cougars more than bears, which is saying something because I've never worried about cougars at all. The one cougar that I've ran into on foot wasn't interested in me at all.
ocalhoun
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
They actually try to avoid people.

I know... that's why I'd be afraid if I found one that wasn't trying to avoid me.
Afaceinthematrix
ocalhoun wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
They actually try to avoid people.

I know... that's why I'd be afraid if I found one that wasn't trying to avoid me.

Well the one on the top was trying to avoid me. He probably sees very few, if any, people because of where I found him. That's why he was running away from me. He just happened to look back on me and I got a lucky camera shot. The one on the bottom was not trying to avoid me. He didn't seem to care about me at all. But that didn't worry me. I'm sure the only reason he didn't care is because I saw him on the side of a road in Yellowstone National Park where over 3 million people (according to wikipedia) visited in the year 2007. I'm sure he's used to people. That's probably why he didn't seem to be concerned by me or any of the other people standing there taking pictures.