FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help- Outlook webaccess for Mac

ravikanth
Hello,
My prof bought a Macbook. He is using Outlook webaccess but he is not able to search mails like he used to do in windows. There is no option for search. Does anyone know about this? Any idea on how to fix this problem. I checked i could not find any search button

Ravikanth
Fire Boar
Outlook Web Access is gimped on anything but Windows with Internet Explorer. It's yet another of Microsoft's anticompetitive schemes: you only get the full functionality when everything from the ground up is Microsoft.

But Exchange just plain sucks anyhow: I never use it if I can help it. POP, IMAP... there are far better and cheaper options out there. Still, what your organization uses isn't up to you, and if they choose Exchange, well, sucks be to them.
ravikanth
Hey Fire Boar,
Thanks for your reply. Did you personally face this problem? I have to ask this because too many people hate windows (like I do)- and probably the opinion is biased

Ravikanth
Hogwarts
Fire Boar wrote:
Outlook Web Access is gimped on anything but Windows with Internet Explorer. It's yet another of Microsoft's anticompetitive schemes: you only get the full functionality when everything from the ground up is Microsoft.

Exchange and share point have valid uses which I can quite like and it's not exactly as though there aren't direct alternatives you can use in Linux, that use pretty much the same protocol, even Rolling Eyes

Also, how is Microsoft being anti-competitive? It's not like they're saying "You can only legally use this software on the hardware we make", which, last I recalled, was what Apple was doing.
Fire Boar
Exactly. Apple would like to be even more anticompetitive, except they haven't got the market share to make it dangerous. The thing about Exchange, is that if a company decides to use it, it's like saying "Okay, everyone, use Windows and Internet Explorer, otherwise your email experience is going to suck". See, whereas with choice of operating system you have a choice, an email system gives you no choice.

To the OP: Yes, I have faced this problem personally. OWA is quite simply horrible in anything but Internet Explorer (where it is mediocre: okay for a web email system but terrible for an email client). If you can use Evolution on a Mac and the server administrators permit people to connect in this way, use it. Or any other email client with Exchange support (most don't have it). Otherwise, you're out of luck.
Hogwarts
Could also install Outlook <_<
Fire Boar
Hogwarts wrote:
Could also install Outlook <_<

If you're going to install a dedicated mail client, Entourage would be a better option. It has Exchange support and isn't defunct like Outlook for Mac is.
ravikanth
Thanks!