FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The best new operating system

Linux Mint or Micro$oft Window$?
Linux Mint
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Micro$oft Window$
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

askchris
Everyone who has been waiting for an os that windows users can use and linux users can love should check out http://www.linuxmint.com/

There are 64bit and x86 flavours, it is based upon Ubuntu, but its application resources are quite extensive with non-free resources built right in there, something for everyone.

I therefore challenge anyone to try it, and after trying it please comment here on your experience.
smiteme
linux distros are good. But the best is slackware. you get to learn linux basics as well as advanced features. IT you want to use it as a simple OS and not a learning platform, I guess mint is good enough if you are using only mint. If you are dual booting windows with mint, your linux use is just a show-off. There is no need to dual boot a windows with any linux with such pathetic attempts to GUI. As it is, linux desktop environments are fragile.
weableandbob
Linux is good, but I use windows simply because it can run games Razz
JBotAlan
weableandbob wrote:
Linux is good, but I use windows simply because it can run games Razz

Which games are you trying to run? Most games install and run with minimal to no futzing with a Windows compatibility layer (WINE) installed, and WINE is well-known for supporting older apps that Microsoft itself has broken compatibility with...

You can check whether or not you can expect a certain application to run at http://appdb.winehq.org/ .

Windows is becoming less of a lock-in and more of a bad habit.
ForceRun
I don't know much about running under linux, but I run a 200 Man Lan party twice a year, and No one at the Lan runs Linux for their games most run: Windows XP, with a few Windows Vista, and more are running Windows 7 now. People have linux servers, and such, but no one games off of it in the group.
aningbo
linux is just a rip-off of windows and kids fused about using windows saying all crap.

i hate linux. its just a replica of windows.
Fire Boar
aningbo wrote:
linux is just a rip-off of windows and kids fused about using windows saying all crap.

i hate linux. its just a replica of windows.

Before people start yelling at this guy for not having a clue what he's talking about...

traxion
windows 7 is seem to be a good update / rip off of vista

i think that windows 7 will be the next world leading platform

srry for linux or mac, but normal users wont jump over to a new platform for no reason..
all platforms are good for mailing, surfing the web and listing music