FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Future of gaming

Bannik
so does anyone think that online gaming and services like

quakelive
instantaction
tribeslive
onlive

will be the future

for those who dont know its basically playing a video game online without the need for a graphics card,all you need is a fast connection...

it could solve everyones gaming problems and i have used a few on them and you know what....it works...its not bad sure its not playing farcry 2 but i can see it being used too bring everyone better gaming.
David_Pardy
Not everyone wants to play online games. That being said, services like that may make it easier for some people.

I will continue to enjoy playing single player games, which generally have much more depth and are more enjoyable than most multiplayer games - especially since most modern games seem to be prettier re-hashes of older games anyway.
QrafTee
Personally I'm interested in seeing where OnLive goes with its offerings.
achowles
It might well prove to be the future of online gaming, as it would resolve the usual issues of PC gaming (such as ensuring you meet the necessary requirements, direct x and drivers, etc). While only having the same fatal flaw that online gaming already has - needing to have a reliable connection.

Offline gaming I don't see being too heavily affected at present. As people seem to be very adverse to online activations, never mind having to always be online to play single player games.
j00gotpwnd
Well it reminds me of cloud computing, which is supposed to be the way of the future. I guess it all depends on cost, playability, and where it is offered. I live in a pretty small town, so I doubt I would be near enough to be able to play well. I guess only time will tell Very Happy
miacps
I see onlive as possibly having a negative effect on pc hardware progression. Other than that, it's a pretty good idea and assuming it works like it should, it will be a big success.
Dean_The_Great
That works brilliantly if you have a fast connection, but there is still something to be said for rockin' out in offline play. And hopefully they'll still be producing really great offline single player games.
blk3
This could be the future of ONLINE gaming but not gaming in general. There are some people who likes to play alone. And besides not all game genres translate well to multiplayer online gaming. there are just some games that are good played alone.
eday2010
Not interested. Game servers don't last forever. So in 5 or 10 years when you feel like going back to play Something Something Online, you probably can't since the servers are gone.

I prefer sticking with the single player portion of the game. I don't think I will ever purchase a game that is online only, because eventually that game will be unplayable, whereas my standalone game is playable for as long as I have or can find working hardware to run the game.
slashnburn99
quakelive is very good havent played the others
QrafTee
eday2010 wrote:
Not interested. Game servers don't last forever. So in 5 or 10 years when you feel like going back to play Something Something Online, you probably can't since the servers are gone.

I prefer sticking with the single player portion of the game. I don't think I will ever purchase a game that is online only, because eventually that game will be unplayable, whereas my standalone game is playable for as long as I have or can find working hardware to run the game.

That's true, but for $10.00 you can play Team Fortress 2 for at least 10-15 years... if not longer and it'd be worth it.
weableandbob
I think allowing people to play in web browsers and/or for free is great, but it'll never replace actual games that you buy
SunD3R
I agree with the guy above. It is fun to play games in the browser for those who don't have the kind of computer which meets with average system requirements but essentially, games that are bought and need high performance computers, they will always rule! And by the way, when i first read the topic name, i thought you meant things like virtual reality suits and stuff like that. Razz
Bluedemon
Online games like that are really only for people with a lot on bandwidth. Personally i don't play those games because my bandwidth isn't very high.
QrafTee
Bluedemon wrote:
Online games like that are really only for people with a lot on bandwidth. Personally i don't play those games because my bandwidth isn't very high.

Your bandwidth isn't high? Do you mean wide--which is more along the lines of download/upload speeds. Or do you mean high as in you have a monthly bandwidth limit imposed on you? I know Comcast imposes a 250GB a month bandwidth limit on me.