FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bill Gates Book

Asap170
Hey I had absolutely no idea were to put this, but I am making a big book together on Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Steve Jobs, Microsoft and other people, but this is basically a big bio atleast 20 page book. But some of the stuff I am getting off the internet like copy and paste. Do I need to Cite everything? I rather not, but yea. I might get copies and post them on the internet... Tell me what I need!
deanhills
Asap170 wrote:
Hey I had absolutely no idea were to put this, but I am making a big book together on Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Steve Jobs, Microsoft and other people, but this is basically a big bio atleast 20 page book. But some of the stuff I am getting off the internet like copy and paste. Do I need to Cite everything? I rather not, but yea. I might get copies and post them on the internet... Tell me what I need!
If you're going to copy and paste, then obviously it would need to be "in quotes", as you are quoting from somewhere. You would number these quotes with superscript numbers (as in the article below on Gates) and then list the quotes at the bottom of the article or on the pages that the quotes appear and say where you quoted them from. In addition you would have a list of sources. Look at Wikipedia articles and then you will have a very good clue of what needs to be done:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates

Be careful when you copy and paste, as some authors do searches on their materials and it could be easy to trace. If you are determined to copy and paste, I would rewrite that which you have pasted, or if you do not feel confident enough to do the rewriting, get someone to do it for you.
driftingfe3s
You should properly cite everything. Your sources worked hard finding out this information, organizing it, and typing it all out. You should give credit where it's due. Don't you think it would suck if you spent all this work on something and someone just took a few minutes to copy it and put is else where?

There are many formats of citing work, for my papers that I have done I usually use MLA becuase it's what i'm use to. Check out this site: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/557/01/ or google MLA for more info.
goutha
You cannot copy paste anything from anywhere on the net or from other books without a proper quotes use. You also should cite your references if you didn't copy/paste something, but that you was inspired by what you've read.

Citing references gives more weight to what you are saying.
tony
If you are not selling your book, simply citing the sources should be fine. But if you plan to make a profit on your book, you may need the permission of the individual sources before you can use them. I suppose it also depends on your country of residence too.
Asap170
Ok. Thanks all. I will probrally use articles and rewrite them and do some quotes from the bio at Microsoft.com on Bill. Bill Gates is my hero. If you haven't noticed.
ankitdatashn
My best wishes for getting the work done, hope the frihosters will receive a free copy! Very Happy
Fatality
It looks like you have gotten all the advise you need as far as citing goes, but I wanted to wish you luck with the book. I'd be interested to see what you produce. I wouldn't go as far as to say Bill Gates is my hero, but we all have something to learn from successful people.
Asap170
Fatality wrote:
It looks like you have gotten all the advise you need as far as citing goes, but I wanted to wish you luck with the book. I'd be interested to see what you produce. I wouldn't go as far as to say Bill Gates is my hero, but we all have something to learn from successful people.

Haha ok.... I will maybe give a copy of the book, but it may cost frih$ o_O