FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pixar's UP

r4inm4ker
I just watched it last Friday (the premiere here in Taipei) in 3D format, and I must say, Wonderful movie!! The stereo is pretty unnoticeable, but the story, color design, character design and animation are just top notch. My favorite character was Dug the dog.. he's very cute and lovable. His animation was also really close to real dog.
Kudos to Pixar for making wonderful movie every year! Last year Wall-E was incredible, but I like UP more, particularly the opening sequence... it made you really cared about Carl,and not seeing him just as another old man. One of the best movie this year for me (maybe I'm biased because I also work in this industry, so that I pretty enjoy every detail of it Very Happy ).
driftingfe3s
I saw "Up" when it was it first came out in the US and I loved it. I liked it as much as I liked "Wall-E", which I thought would be hard to top. It had good story telling, the characters were very likable, and had good humor.

I love Pixar's stuff, I can't wait till Toy Story 3 comes out!
crimson_aria
I am soooo excited to watch this. I saw the trailer when I was watching Angels and Demons last summer and I found it really really cute!! my friends and I are planning to watch it next week. hope it's as great as I think it is.
r4inm4ker
crimson_aria wrote:
I am soooo excited to watch this. I saw the trailer when I was watching Angels and Demons last summer and I found it really really cute!! my friends and I are planning to watch it next week. hope it's as great as I think it is.

I'm pretty sure you'd like it. The characters are indeed pretty adorable. And the opening sequence shows Pixar's true strength : story-telling.
crimson_aria
r4inm4ker wrote:

I'm pretty sure you'd like it. The characters are indeed pretty adorable. And the opening sequence shows Pixar's true strength : story-telling.

I can't wait. I saw the poster again this afternoon. I've never been this excited to see 3D. the fat boy is so cute. I miss childhood, lol.
rogue_skydragon
"Up" is definitely worth watching. I watched it here in Santa Barbara with a few friends, and quite honestly I didn't think it was going to be all that interesting. So I was surprised when I walked out the theater feeling like I've watched a thoroughly satisfying story. The movie's fun. The beginning's a bit sad.
upcirculohispanico
I am really looking forward to this! I thought it would be shown here in the Philippines last summer (May) so I was a bit disappointed when I knew they would show it on August. At least now I have an idea what to give myself on my birthday. Haha! Watch it with friends!
snowboardalliance
I liked Up but my favorites are still Wall-E and Finding Nemo. But Up is... up there so to speak. I'm kind of interested in Toy Story 3 but who knows with sequels (is there a different word for a third movie?)
PleoMaster
Well I aint seen the full movie.

I watched half off it and it seemed to be a bit borring it wasnt my type of movie.
Radar
I struggle to like any Pixar film made after Monsters Inc. or the Incredibles. Finding Nemo was kind of average, I haven't, and don't ever really want to see Wall-E.

I'm not sure it is about them. Especially with Wall-E, because having rewatched several Star Wars films lately, I've discovered that yes, R2-D2 is still as awesome as I thought he was when I was a kid. But Wall-E doesn't hold any appeal for me. Similar, but completely different for some reason.
guissmo
I can't wait for Up to show here. Some torrent sites may already have it but I'd rather watch it in the big screen since it seems to good of a movie to just watch in a rectangular laptop screen. I need to watch it in a bigger rectangular screen. Haha.
georgeodowd
I thought it was a solid little film, but it didn't resonate with me quite as much as some of the other Pixar creations. Dug was, however, quite a hoot, as well as the bird (can't remember its name).
I used to work close to Pixar, and was always sitting next to their animators at restaurants... will never forget the time they were flying their bread plates around the table talking about the physics in Wall-E. Very Happy
missdixy
Up was just amazing -- I definitely loved it more than Wall-E from the start, and I liked UP so much that I actually pre-ordered it.
rogue_skydragon
Up is definitely one of my most favorite Pixar film to date. The soundtrack and story just seemed to click soooo well.
Rajiev
well ... didinte see this yet. But watched the trailer and waiting till this is released in DVD Smile (for undeclearable reasons here Wink ) So is it released in DVD? Or when will it be released ???

anyways, HAve you guys seen all the pixar's short films. They are a must see guys. Some are better than the original film.

Some are totally new stories ... Like Presto. Gaaad, I love that rabbit Smile
r4inm4ker
here's the color script for UP : The color combination is soo nice... I used them as my home PC desktop wallpaper Very Happy

http://louromano.blogspot.com/2009/06/up-color-script.html
ato784
I have not yet seen Up, but I have heard great things about it, my friends have seen it and they say that it was not as good as wall-e, but I do not believe them since I did not like Wall-e and it looks like i will like up
Rajiev
r4inm4ker wrote:
here's the color script for UP : The color combination is soo nice... I used them as my home PC desktop wallpaper Very Happy

Forgive me for being such a noob. But, what is a color script ??? :O

I've never heard the term and cant get an idea from the link you've given :S

And for others, YOu dont like Wall-E Surprised Surprised Surprised

Your the first one I know of. Surprised
r4inm4ker
Rajiev wrote:
r4inm4ker wrote:

Color script is something like 2D colored-storyboard created by Art department of a 3D animation project to emulate the final lighting and colors of the film. So you could get the "feels" of the story early in the project, before going through the lengthy process of creating the actual 3D film. It's also very useful for seeing how the moods change throughout the film, because as we know the mood of a shot depends a lot on the overall lighting & colors in that scene.
Rajiev
r4inm4ker wrote:
Rajiev wrote:
r4inm4ker wrote:

Color script is something like 2D colored-storyboard created by Art department of a 3D animation project to emulate the final lighting and colors of the film. So you could get the "feels" of the story early in the project, before going through the lengthy process of creating the actual 3D film. It's also very useful for seeing how the moods change throughout the film, because as we know the mood of a shot depends a lot on the overall lighting & colors in that scene.

Arh, Thanks a lot mate.

So it is like a UML diagram in software projects eh ? Smile But lot more closer to the final thing than a UML diagram i guess.

Thanks a lot for the explanation.

However, That 2D images in teh links given is not so feature rich. SO how can you get more details like lightining effects out something like that? Or do you use your imagination in the 3D model in adition to the details shown in the 2D story board ???
PleoMaster
The beginning was abit boring, Towards the end was okay. Good family movie but not my type..

5/10
r4inm4ker
Rajiev wrote:
r4inm4ker wrote:
Rajiev wrote:
r4inm4ker wrote:

Arh, Thanks a lot mate.

So it is like a UML diagram in software projects eh ? Smile But lot more closer to the final thing than a UML diagram i guess.

Thanks a lot for the explanation.

However, That 2D images in teh links given is not so feature rich. SO how can you get more details like lightining effects out something like that? Or do you use your imagination in the 3D model in adition to the details shown in the 2D story board ???

Yeah, it's abit like UML, nice analogy Smile
the 2D color scripts do not need too many details, just overall camera layout and lighting/color conditions. So yeah, you need a bit imagination to predict what the final shots would look like, but it's enough for director/supervisor to see if the story conforms to his idea.
guggs
My 15-year old son surprised me when he asked to go to Up - having seen a trailer I thought it'd be far too young for him. As it turned out, I'm glad he wasn't 8 years younger though otherwise there would have been too much in the film that he wouldn't have understood and he'd have been constantly asking me questions, especially in the first part where they whizzed through the main character's early life, leaving the audience to make lots of assumptions / jump to conclusions of their own.

I stayed awake all the way through it, which is unusual for me so it can't have been a bad movie, but I won't be recommending anyone I know to go watch it, however old they are.
ato784
Hey,

I saw up yesterday! and it was awesome Exclamation I greatly enjoyed it and thought that it was a good movie.
Way better than robots falling in love and saving the soon to die human population.
(wall-e was way to unrealistic for me)
I feel that Pixar can only continue to create good movies and they are the most orignal ones I have seen in a while. Smile
Tuvitor
I liked Up a lot. Not as much as Wall-E, but it was definitely a good movie and a lot of fun. I loved the dogs. SQUIRREL!
malcolmpreen
I'd not heard of the film... but happened upon it on a flight to Canada at the start of December. Definitely requires that your sense of humour is in tune with the film makers... fortunately mine is.

Totally agree with the previous poster about the dogs..... SQUIRREL.... good job I was wearing my seatbelt or I would have been ROFL.... I had to do same in my seat !!!

Malcolm
rogue_skydragon
I really enjoyed UP. Compared to Wall-E, I actually think that UP has a story that's just a bit more heart-felt and personal.
lethaltriad
Up is one of my favourite new cartoon flicks, really wasnt that interested with it when it was out at the cinemas and really regret now not seeing it in 3D. It was a bit more intense/emotional that most other cartoons but it made the end part even more worthwhile. Dug was also my favourite character being a dog lover. I loved the bonus episodes also.. Dug's Special Mission was really good, makes me want a golden retriever now
Rajiev
Finally watched UP.
But it let me DOWN Sad

Nothing what I expected Sad It was well below than other Pixar films. not even in the same league as Ice Age :p
I was confused int he first few minutes of the film. Then there was tragedy Sad I don't think anyone expect a sad tragedy film in a animated movie. :S The first part of the movie is very sad and I was wondering why am i watching this. Cos when I sat for the movie, I was expecting humor as Ice age .

The Only part I liked was when that giant Birdy came to the action Very Happy It was so hilarious and I got a bit what I expected, humor and comedy.

The last part of the movie was Sci-fi plus Adventure... Which neither like Incredibles nor Spider Man.

I guess this film was only aimed at the very young crowed (kids) cos, I think an adult cant enjoy this film much as he/she would have enjoyed Ice Age or Incredibles.

But, I was surprised when I saw that this film was rated PG for some "peril and action". Surprised

So who the hell is the targeted audience?
anyway, I should say this is not merely up to the Pixar standards Sad
natilovesmike
I liked it, but it is not my favorite pixar movie. Mainly because it was so sad and melancholic and I cry very easily...I cryied the whole movie!!!!!!!!!!!!
r4inm4ker
Rajiev wrote:
Finally watched UP.
But it let me DOWN Sad

Nothing what I expected Sad It was well below than other Pixar films. not even in the same league as Ice Age :p
I was confused int he first few minutes of the film. Then there was tragedy Sad I don't think anyone expect a sad tragedy film in a animated movie. :S The first part of the movie is very sad and I was wondering why am i watching this. Cos when I sat for the movie, I was expecting humor as Ice age .

The Only part I liked was when that giant Birdy came to the action Very Happy It was so hilarious and I got a bit what I expected, humor and comedy.

The last part of the movie was Sci-fi plus Adventure... Which neither like Incredibles nor Spider Man.

I guess this film was only aimed at the very young crowed (kids) cos, I think an adult cant enjoy this film much as he/she would have enjoyed Ice Age or Incredibles.

But, I was surprised when I saw that this film was rated PG for some "peril and action". Surprised

I think the main problem is that you expect it to be a humorous movie like Ice Age, but it is not. It had a lot of lines where kids wouldn't totally understand it because you would only experience it after you grown up (like "don't be too late to chase what you want", losing dearly wife / girlfriend stuff). So I think you got it wrong, the targeted audience is actually all people across the age, not very young kids. Instead, kids would like Ice Age much more, because the characters are funny comical and a lot of action humor in it.
Rajiev
r4inm4ker wrote:
Rajiev wrote:
Finally watched UP.
But it let me DOWN Sad

I think the main problem is that you expect it to be a humorous movie like Ice Age, but it is not. It had a lot of lines where kids wouldn't totally understand it because you would only experience it after you grown up (like "don't be too late to chase what you want", losing dearly wife / girlfriend stuff). So I think you got it wrong, the targeted audience is actually all people across the age, not very young kids. Instead, kids would like Ice Age much more, because the characters are funny comical and a lot of action humor in it.

I think you are right Sad

I always expect a animated movie (cartoon like0 to be aimed for kids. I always watch those to relax my mind. Usually, almost all the animated films are like that, except this on "UP"

But I guess i was not asking for too much since the IMDB has UP as
"Animation | Adventure | Comedy | Drama | Family ".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1049413/

And once again the posters, DVD cover, wallpapers and all the other stuff seems that the film is aimed at a more "non-series" crowed than in is aimed at adults.

Perhaps I may have missed the "drama" genre and was hoping too much "comedy" in it. anyways, I wont agree with the 8.4 rating the users have given. Perhaps its the "Halo effect" being a Pixar movie. :S[/url]
r4inm4ker
Well, apparently it's on course to win the Oscar for animated film Smile , and already won the Golden Globe award, if I'm not mistaken. So I didn't agree that it's mediocre animated film. The problem with this movie is, as also stated by other people, the character is not that "unique" or "appealing". It's just an old man with a kid, and a dog, and a bird, lol. There's nothing unique to easily attract the children or adult as well. You need to dig into the story and the characters' emotion to really feel the film. I think it's a brave move by Pixar. They dare to design this kind of characters, not only some eye-catching ones such as monsters or aliens (no pun intended Smile ), or dragon etc.
Rajiev
r4inm4ker wrote:
Well, apparently it's on course to win the Oscar for animated film Smile , and already won the Golden Globe award, if I'm not mistaken. So I didn't agree that it's mediocre animated film. The problem with this movie is, as also stated by other people, the character is not that "unique" or "appealing". It's just an old man with a kid, and a dog, and a bird, lol. There's nothing unique to easily attract the children or adult as well. You need to dig into the story and the characters' emotion to really feel the film. I think it's a brave move by Pixar. They dare to design this kind of characters, not only some eye-catching ones such as monsters or aliens (no pun intended Smile ), or dragon etc.

OK, My bad... Then I'm gonna watch this movie once again... with my game face on Neutral

I didnt know that this is on its way to awards Surprised I feel so stupid Embarassed
bloodrider
i lked it very much but it is kind of sad...
BROCK22
Rajiev wrote:
r4inm4ker wrote:

OK, My bad... Then I'm gonna watch this movie once again... with my game face on Neutral

I didnt know that this is on its way to awards Surprised I feel so stupid Embarassed

Haha don't feel stupid! People get different things out of movies all the time!
eday2010
It was a good movie, but definitely not one of their best. At least it wasn't as bad as Ratatouille.
Rajiev
eday2010 wrote:
It was a good movie, but definitely not one of their best. At least it wasn't as bad as Ratatouille.

At last someone agrees with me for Pixar not sooo good Very Happy

but wait a min ... Ratatouille is not good Surprised I thought it was awesome Surprised
slashnburn99
Great film much prefer Disney Pixar to Dreamworks when it comes to animation
r4inm4ker
slashnburn99 wrote:
Great film much prefer Disney Pixar to Dreamworks when it comes to animation

But the latest Dreamworks films are pretty decent, at least from what I saw in the reviews (haven't watched a lot of Dreamworks film lately). "How to Train Your Dragon" and "Shrek 4 Forever After " recieved a lot of good reviews from press and audiences. Maybe I'll watch the 3D version of Shrek 4 later this week or so.
mOrpheuS
*Warning - spoilers*

Ellie was easily the most interesting character in the whole movie, and the scriptwriter had her dead within the first 5-10 minutes !
But that's probably because out of the "Carl-Ellie" couple - the playful one would die and the somber one would carry on - so, the audience were stuck with the dull character for most of the movie anyway.

The next most interesting character, "Dug", got a little more screen time, but nearly not enough.

Way too much screen time given to "Kevin".

^ My main complaint with the screenplay.
Otherwise a good movie - 7/10
loyal
This has to be my favourite disney/pixar movie. I recently rewatched many old disney films, including sleeping beauty, pocahantus, etc., and I can really see how much those two giants have learnt and progressed since then. (Also that disney logo with the castle and thing going over the castle has really changed!)

I shed a tear when the lady __spoiler not typed__, didn't you?

I think people's main complaint is that the movie is too difficult to understand for kids. I really don't think it's meant for kids. It might even be meant for young adults.

This movie has such awesome bits. Such as:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZPTO4cGQrE[/youtube]

Peace.
mOrpheuS
loyal wrote:
thing going over the castle

That "thing" is Tinker Bell !

Quote:
She is also featured in the opening of all Disney films flying over the Magic Castle (in a counter-clockwise direction, right to left)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker_Bell
LostOverThere
loyal wrote:
thing going over the castle

What? How could you forget that "thing" was called Tinker Bell!? It's only on the 2,418th star of the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Jeez. Wink
loyal
In my defence, there was no indication that it was tinkerbell! How was I supposed to know, without googling it! lol

Peace.