FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

1 Tenant in Florida Highrise Condominium

Nick2008
Quote:

FORT MYERS, Fla. The Vangelakos' southwest Florida condominium has marble floors, a large pool overlooking a river and modern furnishings that speak of affluence and luxury. What they don't have in the 32-story building is a single neighbor.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090801/ap_on_re_us/us_lonely_highrise

Perfect example of how bad real estate can get during tough economic times. At first it may seem cool to have a 32-story building all to yourself... but it does get lonely pretty quickly. You would get lots of pranks and security problems though, as stated in the article.
socceraggie
I read a story about a year ago about a college student who was able to lock in a year lease on a penthouse in a high rise in Florida for something ridiculous like $1500/mo. According to the article, the owner didn't expect to be able to sell the unit for quite a while and rental market was so bad that they were happy to get anything each month for it.

I have a high rise unit in Denver and I'm facing a similar situation right now. Things are getting better but they haven't completely turned around yet.
deanhills
During the peak of the bubble there were so many buildings going up in my area, and whereas before there were long waiting lists, people are putting up large banners on the building in order to sub-let the units. I definitely notice the difference too. Rates have come down too.