FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

hosting my website from home????

djpharis
how do i learn about hosting my own website from my home computer like how do i get a name server or somthing cause i have a domain from godaddy and i cant host it from my computer without a name server like how do i make a name server.
jwellsy
You would have to change your computer into a server (different operating system) and have an internet connection fast enough and enough bandwidth to be worthwhile. Why not use the frihost servers?
djpharis
well i am for awhile, but a soon as i can get experienced with php, i am going to mak ea site from my computer to host free websites on my own. Like ucoz CMS.
jwellsy
So you want to learn how to compete with Frihost, at Frihost? Wow, good luck with that. I do admire having lofty goals.
Beny
djpharis wrote:
how do i learn about hosting my own website from my home computer like how do i get a name server or somthing cause i have a domain from godaddy and i cant host it from my computer without a name server like how do i make a name server.

Same I wana know aswell anyway looks like no one knows *Sighs* Anyway good luck Rolling Eyes
Ghost Rider103
You're going to have to buy some type of hosting plan from a hosting company. GoDaddy does offer hosting I believe. There is a lot of other good hosts you can buy from as well. hostmonster.com, yahoo.com, etc.

Or you can just use Frihost for now until you are ready.

But if you want to start your own business online, and you aren't very good in design and development, I suggest hiring a web design company to do it for you. Check my signature if interested.

Good luck.
defecto
listen if you want to host your site... all you need to do is set up apache on your computer.. its free...

after that setup you godaddy account to forward to your ip address and use your computer to host your domain.

you will have to leave your computer on all the time.. if you shut your puter down your web site will be down.

but its can be done... there is a distro that is called LAMP.. linux Apache MySql PHP5
this would be what you need .. its free but you will have to learn how to install and manage it.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
rockacola
jwellsy wrote:
You would have to change your computer into a server (different operating system) ...

Not really. It is common now a day to setup a mini host using Windows XP + AMP setup.
You do need a dedicated computer, however.. you do not want to share your server load with your client usage Laughing
bloodrider
You'll have to get used to Linux, to Apache, to PHP, to MySQL, to DNS servers, to email servers, to FTP servers (these should be enough): how to install them and how to configure them.

If you're good enough, let's say, one week (google is your friend Wink). If you're not that used to deal with computers, well, good luck Exclamation

So, you'll have to have a PC running these software, permanently on. If you don't want to pay for a static IP you may use NO-IP.
jinsdhie
most of all they use linux in using server
rajeeb
well it is just hard to maintain the server without proper knowledge of the system. I suggest you donot try it and if you want to then find some college on computer engineering. If you still want to then search in google. There is a very good post about it. But I warn you it is a headache for every second.

I tried it and couldn't do. It's really tough to manage alone.

If you are in group or some organization then you can be another webhost.

Free Web Hosting with PHP, MySQL and cPanel, No Ads

Mod Edit - Link removed by Vrythramax - It is against Frihost policy to advertise another web host on these forums...free or otherwise.
tukun2009manit
jwellsy wrote:
You would have to change your computer into a server (different operating system) and have an internet connection fast enough and enough bandwidth to be worthwhile. Why not use the frihost servers?

i didnot understood what are you saying can you elaborate it please..
jwellsy
You're wanting to run before you can walk. Learn the basic skills of how to build and upload a website here at frihost before trying to set up your own server. People will be glad to answer specific questions.
soljarag
I used apache about 12 years ago...... it worked, but why would u want to do this when frihost is free?
davividal
tukun2009manit wrote:
jwellsy wrote:

i didnot understood what are you saying can you elaborate it please..

As jwellsy said: learn to walk before run. Smile

What he said is: you will need to learn how provide your web site from any computer. That's what a server does.
But for this, you will need to know how the internet works.
For that, you will need to know how a network works.
For that, you will need to know how a computer works.

So, take small steps. Google is your friend and will be glad to help you. Smile

We, too, will be very glad to help you in this wonderful journey, but only if you have specific questions.

You may be interested in How to ask questions .

My personal advice: grab a good Linux distro and learn how to work (browse internet, read your e-mails using an e-mail client, installing/removing apps and all others desktop tasks) with Linux.

I would recommend the following distros: (in this order)

1. Gentoo
2. CentOS
3. Debian

After learn how to work with Linux, I would recommend you to setup a small network in your home, to learn the basics about networking.
After that, you can install your printer on Linux and make all others PCs to print from your Linux box. That's it: you just created your own printer server.

With that done, you could take a larger step and promote your Linux box to your internet gateway/firewall/proxy and DHCP server.

After that, I don't believe that you would need to take any other advice. Cool

Enjoy it.
darkenedages
you can use wamp (windows apache mpsql php) simply install this on a computer that is on all the time and you will have a great basic server. well you will need ssl if you are going to be taking credit cards and other payments. but that is for advanced uses and if your asking how to setup a server you defently arnt there yet. and then from go daddy just set the ip add your www in the custom dns. but defently make sure you have a static ip address. yes you can use no-ip but you will have down time from time to time when it updates your ip or it just doesnt update it at all.