FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pc Vs. Mac

What Are You?
Mac
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Pc
85%
 85%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 20

djpharis
What are you? are you a pc or a mac? Im a pc. I will also add a poll if they are allowed, you may also reply.
anakin_skyrunner
Hi, my name is Alex - and I'm a PC Wink
Fire Boar
Hi. I'm a PC. And I'm incredibly stable: I don't run Windows.
Hogwarts
Fire Boar wrote:
Hi. I'm a PC. And I'm incredibly stable: I don't run Windows.

Topic aside, Windows isn't a significant source of instability unless you run it without ever updating. It's what people do when they're on Windows, same as if somebody decided to screw with a Linux installation.

Secondly, a Mac is still a PC. Or did I forget what that acronym stood for? (Tip: That's a rhetorical question, the answer is no). Thus, we're all on PCs -- except for in a few circumstances Wink
djpharis
ok well i dont understand how a mac is basicaly a pc, but i guess thats your belief.
Ankhanu
djpharis wrote:
ok well i dont understand how a mac is basicaly a pc, but i guess thats your belief.

PC = Personal Computer

A Mac is a particular brand of personal computer... much like an IBM system would have been... or an Acer system, Dell, HP, what have you. For whatever reason, colloquially PC has been taken to mean a non-Apple computer... not sure why, but on a societal scale, people make rather stupid and unfounded decisions on naming schemes.

As for the question in the OP, I suppose I'm a Mac, as that's my primary system... though I'm also a PC, I haven't completely tossed MS or Linux OSes aside. Each has its place, strengths and weaknesses.
ForceRun
I'm a gamer, so Windows is my only option.
the-guide
Mac more stable and more secure but Windows more widely use than Mac and of course more resource as well. However, nowadays Mac can also run Windows at the same time so I prefer Mac. Smile
Hogwarts
the-guide wrote:
Mac more stable and more secure but Windows more widely use than Mac and of course more resource as well. However, nowadays Mac can also run Windows at the same time so I prefer Mac. Smile

Apple deliberately limited Mac OS to Apple-created hardware -- it's even in their license! That's Apple's fault and with their deliberate intention being to gain a monopoly within the market. Apple shouldn't be rewarded due to Mac hardware being able to run Windows Rolling Eyes
Tphilakone
Im currently using pc ,window because im using office and pc is very easy
djpharis
djpharis wrote:
What are you? are you a pc or a mac? Im a pc. I will also add a poll if they are allowed, you may also reply.
im a pc windows vista i had a xp but it crashed and i have used a windows 95/98 and windows 2000
Spiritfall
I'm a pc. I want to buy a mac but I don't have money. Probably I'll buy one in the future ..
crimson_aria
I'd buy a mac if had the money, for now, I'm on windows.
aningbo
i'm buying macbook pro next week. very excited.

hope all well's in the end. let see how it goes. m still on windows and linux for now.
rosgar
the only thing i hate is a system update to higher Operating System where some applications don't work to lower version.
william
Erm, Macs are PCs. In any case, I run a "PC" with a dual boot of Windows and Linux. Don't need any more than that. I have no reason to get OS X. Getting locked onto Apple's overpriced and underpowered hardware isn't something I am willing to do. Plus, I haven't figured out what the big deal is with the Mac OS X. All the benefits I hear about I can get from Linux, my main operating system, and I can run just about anything in Windows (namely games).
deanhills
I doubt I would buy an Apple as their support is so different from PC support, repairs are much more complicated. A friend of mine bought a fancy desktop model last year, and has hardly used it in the year as it was standing in workshops waiting for repairs, that were really foreign for maintenance people who are more familiar with PC's, even when they have been employed to repair Apple Computers. Their equipment is so expensive, it just does not justify it for me when one can get PC's at a much lower cost. But there has to be a market that supports them. As far as I know Apple seems to still be a computer of choice for people in the media and top-notch designers. And maybe they can afford to pay top-dollar for Apple. I'm happy with my generic desktop computers with parts from here, there and everywhere, probably the equivalent of SPCA specials! It works very well. I can't imagine myself ever using Apple, but who knows, one should never say "never".
biljap
PC, I like Windows.
But, I would like to be able to afford to buy a Mac, just to see what it is all about, to test it and to play a little with it… Why wouldn’t I like using both? Smile
djpharis
thanks for your replies. i also would like a mac too but they are more expensive and i wouldnt be able to afford it so for now i am with a pc but i like my pc. but thanks for all the replies and votes. Very Happy
Flarkis
Hi am a GNU/linux
thanks for leaving out the small guy
Fire Boar
Hey, Linux comes under PC. PC =/= Windows.
Flarkis
Using that logic than a mac is also a PC than. Last time i checked PC meant personal computer. A mac is for a person, and it is a computer. Even than linux could be run on apple specific hardware.
Ankhanu
Flarkis wrote:
Using that logic than a mac is also a PC than. Last time i checked PC meant personal computer. A mac is for a person, and it is a computer. Even than linux could be run on apple specific hardware.

You're absolutely right, Pretty much every computer we own is a PC (with some exceptions)... however, as in many other areas, the actual definition of a term and it's every day use differ.
Fire Boar
Flarkis wrote:

You're absolutely wrong. Apple have branded their computers as "Macs". "PC" is also a brand: in the early days of computers there were several brands, Macintosh and PC were the two top ones, though PC won out in the end crushing all other competition because it could run Windows. The only competitor that's really still around is the Macintosh, rebranded as Mac now. Nevertheless, hardware differences between PCs and Macs have slowly become less and less significant and the differences tend to be more historical now.

Now, on a computer, you have an operating system. Macs, being made and promoted by Apple, have the Mac OS operating system installed, unanimously. With PCs there is more choice, and while most PCs have Windows pre-installed, there are other operating systems you can install. In other words, Windows and PC are not the same thing. Just as a Mac and Mac OS are not the same thing.

In short, Mac and PC are two different types of computer hardware. GNU/Linux runs on a PC. Mac OS runs on a Mac. Because of hardware similarities and kernel developments, it should be possible to get GNU/Linux to run on a Mac, but it's certainly not the intended platform and most people running GNU/Linux have a PC, not a Mac.
Jean-Clod
I am both. (in facts, I am none of them)
Hogwarts
Fire Boar wrote:
In short, Mac and PC are two different types of computer hardware. GNU/Linux runs on a PC. Mac OS runs on a Mac. Because of hardware similarities and kernel developments, it should be possible to get GNU/Linux to run on a Mac, but it's certainly not the intended platform and most people running GNU/Linux have a PC, not a Mac.

Given that macs are no longer running the PowerPC (note the word PC) processor, and are now using identical hardware to PCs, I believe you're absoloutely wrong. Similarly to this case is the word netbook. It used to refer to a specific device, and now it refers to small, internet-oriented laptops. Or should the eeePC not be considered a netbook? Rolling Eyes

In fact, Wikipedia even lists Mac OS X under the software for "PCs"; also making a clear distinction between PCs and IBM PCs.
Fire Boar
Bah, you kids and your new fangled PC-Macs. Blast it all. *waves cane*
Denvis
A few years ago Macs were out of the question, expensive junk. I haven't used one in years and use PCs. I actually don't mind Macs except the fact their keyboards and mouse are ergonomically challenged.

I find PCs more user-friendly. That's only 'cause I've been using it for years. Until I use macs again, it's PCs all the way!
ProfessorY91
Fire Boar wrote:
Bah, you kids and your new fangled PC-Macs. Blast it all. *waves cane*

Hilarious! Laughing

What can I say, when in doubt, choose Linux. I'm still working on a way to get Linux onto my Powerbook G4 if that's even possible. Some people say the only thing you can do with it is to throw Tiger on it, but I'm not really sure.
deanhills
Macs still seem to be superior in design. A friend of mine got a desktop two years ago, and it is still ahead of my hybrid custom assembled PC desktop. I'm however not willing to pay so much for a Mac and am very happy with what I have. I'm not always sure that one needs something with that much higher specifications if you don't really need them. Where Macs would probably be better would be in the media industry, as far as I know they seem to be much better with desktop graphics and design. Maybe someone who does sophisticated graphics and design can comment on that?
Jean-Clod
Two weeks ago, I came here, claiming I am none. In facts that has always been true. I don't particularly prefer Mac, Windows, or Linux. Each OS has it strengths, and its weeknesses.

And this topic made me want to try Snow Leopard. I didn't ran MacOS since Tiger (10.4), and I thought all the Leopard/Snow Leopard features might make MacOS X an even better OS.

And that assumption was true. The speed is amazing. Everything is smooth, and, even if I didn't get some essential things to work (Ethernet, .. You know, Hackintosh Razz), the experience was great. I can barely imagine how it can be in a "real" Mac. I think my next computer will be a Mac.. The perfect trinity: Linux Netbook, for ubiquitous internet; Windows Desktop, for Gaming; and a MacBook (-Pro? Razz) as my main machine!