FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Whos Got XP Still

Possum
Hi

I would like to know how many people out there still have XP.

cheers Possum
anakin_skyrunner
My father still has it, but he's about to get a new PC with Win 7.

I for myself have Vista/Win 7.
arnaw_kumar
Ive still got xp. It definitely is better for gaming. Even my 9800GT feels better on it than on vista
Possum
I want to move from XP to Win7 as well.

Do you think people will leave their XP computer and buy new Hardware as well for Win7
ciureanuc
Me, Me!
I got XP and I don't want to change it very soon.
XP at home, OSx at work.
It's fine for me now.

BTW, my movie player was made in 2003. Wink VPlayer
anakin_skyrunner
Possum wrote:

Do you think people will leave their XP computer and buy new Hardware as well for Win7

I guess most people will as it is easier to buy a whole new PC than setting up a new OS (or at least most people think that it is - I was able to set up a Computer with 14 Smile)

And you can get quite good computers at low prices nowadays, so... I'll just buy the OS Cool

EDIT: I just saw, 100th post Very Happy Cool
Ghost Rider103
I'm still using XP for work.

I do have a laptop that has W7 on it. I don't mind it. I personally am not really liking the transparency thing that they keep shooting for. I also dislike the start menu. I like how XP keeps opening up in new windows. W7/Vista keeps opening folders, making it harder to navigate through.

I'm sure I could get used to it, I just like the simple feel of XP.

I will probably update after a few months of W7 being out and a few bugs get fixed. But at the moment, I can't be bothered to switch.
TomS
I'm still using Windows XP.
My father runs Vista on his Notebook and I don't like it. Maybe I'll test Win7. But I'm happy with my XP.
aningbo
i'm happy with XP too. when the final stable version of windows 7 is release, i'll get a copy and try it out. windows xp is by far the best microsoft has made so far.

will have to do a lot of search on windows 7. i hope its worth the publicity
weableandbob
I"m sticking to XP until microsoft forces me to switch to Windows 7 or something like that =D
hunnyhiteshseth
I guess most of the people given a choice would still be having Windows XP. I know a hell lot of people who have given Vista entirely a skip and will directly upgrade to Windows 7
If I can draw a crude analogy, Windows XP is what Windows 98 was, Windows Vista is what Windows Me was and Windows 7 is touted to be what Windows XP was after Windows Me.
Spiritfall
I'm still using Windows Xp. I tried Windows 7 but I'll wait for the final version to be released. It gave me too many Blue Screens and I returned to Xp. I also installed FreeBSD 7.1 release and I'll update it to 7.2. I was using Ubuntu and Fedora but I started using BSD.
Pepperfan
I am still running XP and Cent OS at home. I will at some point upgrade to Windows 7 say right after the first service pack! Smile

Vista I used at work and it wasn't that bad it was just to slow.

Charles
deanhills
I'm still with XP, both at home and at work. Unless I find a very good reason why Windows 7 would be better, I doubt I would make an immediate change.
LostOverThere
I'm still using Windows XP. Whether I change to Windows 7 at any point is still up in the air, not entirely certain yet.
guggs
I'll put Windows 7 on one of my spare machines to evaluate it then decide whether to put it onto this machine which is currently doing a fine job for me running XP Pro.

Buy new hardware just to run a new OS - where's the sense in that ?
sourojit
Definitely Windows 7 is latest and best but still xp does have its existence. and it will have so till 2011,i guess.
hunnyhiteshseth
Thats true that people won't upgrade immediately from Windows XP to Windows 7. But as new & new hardware and technology comes and drivers for Windows XP become increasingly rare, people would have to upgrade. And I guess nobody would upgrade to Windows Vista if Windows 7 will be available/round the corner.
misterXY
Nope, xp is horrible for 64-bit and vista is handling well, l like vista more then xp if the machine can handle it
hunnyhiteshseth
Are you talking about running 32-bit Windows XP vis-a-vis running 32-bit Windows Vista
or
running 64 bit Windows XP vis-a-vis running 64 bit Windows Vista?
Marcuzzo
I'm still using XP too,
I've seen my father struggle with Vista and I've decided to wait for the Final release of 7 before I'll get it
goutha
I still have Windows XP and I'm happy with it. I already used Windows Vista and I was really not happy with it.

However, I think that I'll use windows Seven.
Tphilakone
Im still using window xp but im looking forward to use ubuntu
Marcuzzo
Tphilakone wrote:
Im still using window xp but im looking forward to use ubuntu

ubuntu is quite nice,
I have a dual boot set up with jaunty jackalope
David_Pardy
I'm using XP at the moment and will continue to do so until I replace my computer in about a year's time.

I'm budgeting for a very high spec gaming rig (hopefully SLI/Crossfire) and of course - 64 bit hardware. So I'm going to try a Windows 7 build on the computer, and if I like it and it runs well, I'll keep it. If not, I'll just put XP on it. But I am hoping that by then, Windows 7 will be blowing XP out of the water because I would much rather have a GOOD 64 bit OS running rather than running a 32 bit OS on fantastic new hardware and missing out on the benefits.

That, and I want to finally see more than 3.5gb of RAM Wink.

I'm sure that by August next year Win7 will be a good contender if MS have truly learned their lesson from Vista. I'm also hoping that I can XP-ify the features of Win7, I don't care if it's shiny, I just want to be able to find the things I'm looking for and not have to fight through clutter and unnecessary warnings and other crap.

Does Windows 7 warn you before it allows you to perform any action like Vista does? Because that is going to really piss me off if I can't turn it off.
Ankhanu
I'm still running XP, and have a system (my wife's) running Vista. Gotta say I definitely prefer XP to Vista for several reasons.

Possum wrote:

I dunno.

I just tried Win7 while doing some tech support for a friend... I found it FAR too Vista for my liking. The improvements over Vista seem to be back-end, and they kept the crap up front. I can't see myself buying another Windows based system in the next several years. I'll stick to Mac and build Linux systems, I think.

David_Pardy wrote:
I'm sure that by August next year Win7 will be a good contender if MS have truly learned their lesson from Vista. I'm also hoping that I can XP-ify the features of Win7, I don't care if it's shiny, I just want to be able to find the things I'm looking for and not have to fight through clutter and unnecessary warnings and other crap.

Does Windows 7 warn you before it allows you to perform any action like Vista does? Because that is going to really piss me off if I can't turn it off.

It's better laid out than Vista, for sure, but still not as simply as XP (or MacOS, or Linux), and still prompts with a bunch of warnings... though again, not quite to the point of Vista. I found it a little annoying navigating through its file system... though perhaps that's because I was trying to find missing files (that were still taking up HDD space), which would be an annoyance anyway. Perhaps the fact that my first experience with Win7 was trying to do some support on a friend's system didn't give me a good sense of how the OS normally runs... but for diving in and trying to diagnose a problem, it wasn't quite what I'd hoped it would be.

edit by rvec: please don't double post but use the edit button instead
chartcentral
I still have Windows XP. I'm not really interested in Windows Vista, but I'm considering to update to Windows 7 in the future (probably around 6-12 months after it goes out on the market, if and when it would prove to be stable enough). Smile
JBotAlan
I probably will not run Windows natively ever again.

When all of the masses started groaning in the lag between Vista's initial release and Service Pack 1, I switched to Ubuntu. Nice, smooth, free OS with everything I need for school preloaded. I can program on it just as I would in Windows. It boots faster. Everything just worked upon first install--wireless, sound, every USB device I could find (except my video digitizer, and a driver is in progress for that), and NTFS support...it just makes more sense than Windows does. And as a bonus, there was no disk thrashing during a dead idle like there was in Windows, and I don't need any anti-virus software. [/plug]

Now, I use XP inside a VirtualBox virtual machine for the few pieces of software I am required to run for school (Unigraphics NX 5, for instance). I tried running Vista inside a VM and it was disgustingly slow and resource-intensive. I tried the Windows 7 RC inside a VM as well, and it was impressively light. However, for the immediate time being, I have no motivation to switch. I've seen some strange things (Microsoft services eating 100% CPU time; odd crashes) on a friend's PC running 7RC, so I think I will stay away from it until SP1 or at least the official release. On a petty, superficial note, personally, I find Vista a lot prettier than 7. The new taskbar is butt-ugly...

Ubuntu isn't right for everyone, but it is becoming viable for a lot more people as time goes on. Try getting a 45-second boot time with any flavor of Windows... Rolling Eyes
Phinx
Im just happily dual booting between Fedora and WinXP Pro. Fedora for work, Windows for fun. While i wouldn't mind just going Linux all the way, i just can't say no to gaming Smile
Ankhanu
JBotAlan wrote:
Ubuntu isn't right for everyone, but it is becoming viable for a lot more people as time goes on.

For your average computer user, Ubuntu is just about perfect. Your average user isn't a gamer; they don't need Windows for compatibility and DirectX junk for high end games... they mostly play flash games that will work on any platform. Your average user doesn't use any particularly specialized software, such as high end statistical packages (though using something like R trumps compatibility issues), high end video/graphical editing or the like; they can find full functionality in open source equivalents (ie. GIMP, Open Office, R, etc.)... Your average user wants to watch videos, look at and basically edit photos, surf the web (ie. facebook), chat through IMs, check email, play browser based games (or solitaire), and maybe edit some documents. Ubuntu easily, cleanly and happily covers all these bases without any hassle and without the bloat that comes with Windows. The only problem with Ubuntu in this regard is in perception. People know Windows, it's a familiar name. As such, they believe it's what they want, and belief is one of the strongest factors that influence what they purchase, not facts.

Ubuntu bundled systems would be cheaper, more efficient and more stable than Windows bundled systems but there's a lack of knowledge in the general populace that prevents them from gaining any real prevalence, regardless of benefit.

It's a little like convincing Americans of the value of the metric system Wink
hunnyhiteshseth
JBotAlan wrote:
Try getting a 45-second boot time with any flavor of Windows... Rolling Eyes

Well... I can get less than 45-seconds on Windows 3.1 Razz Laughing

So, yes, techincally I can.. Very Happy
brokenadvice
At my house we have 5 computers running XP (one is virtualized so it doesn't really count). My laptop has Vista, but my parents have XP. They have older computers with under a gig of ram, so it would make no sense at all to upgrade.
soljarag
I still have XP on my Main desktop and my 2 older laptops..

My new laptop has Vista.. I don't see much difference....
hunnyhiteshseth
soljarag wrote:

My new laptop has Vista.. I don't see much difference....

Oh you will once you start doing something productive. Vista will nag you like anything!
ssweat
I still use windows xp, its the most stable so far in my opinion. I am thinking of trying to dual boot with vista or win 7 soon. I may just skip vista and go right to 7 since it seems to have less issues. Also I am running 32 it at the moment i tried xp 64 bit for a short time (to take advantage of my full 4gigs of memory) but seemed to have software conflicts on a few games i like to play, so I reverted.
foreverdestiny
XP still works like a charm for me. Laughing
aningbo
m still using it and so does almost all my friends.

will shift to mac snow leopard next week though.
hunnyhiteshseth
Well I recently got a new laptop and they are still offering Vista-downgraded to XP, so it shows how popular XP still is!
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
JBotAlan wrote:
Ubuntu isn't right for everyone, but it is becoming viable for a lot more people as time goes on.

For your average computer user, Ubuntu is just about perfect. Your average user isn't a gamer; they don't need Windows for compatibility and DirectX junk for high end games... they mostly play flash games that will work on any platform. Your average user doesn't use any particularly specialized software, such as high end statistical packages (though using something like R trumps compatibility issues), high end video/graphical editing or the like; they can find full functionality in open source equivalents (ie. GIMP, Open Office, R, etc.)... Your average user wants to watch videos, look at and basically edit photos, surf the web (ie. facebook), chat through IMs, check email, play browser based games (or solitaire), and maybe edit some documents. Ubuntu easily, cleanly and happily covers all these bases without any hassle and without the bloat that comes with Windows. The only problem with Ubuntu in this regard is in perception. People know Windows, it's a familiar name. As such, they believe it's what they want, and belief is one of the strongest factors that influence what they purchase, not facts.

Ubuntu bundled systems would be cheaper, more efficient and more stable than Windows bundled systems but there's a lack of knowledge in the general populace that prevents them from gaining any real prevalence, regardless of benefit.

It's a little like convincing Americans of the value of the metric system Wink
How compatible would Ubuntu be with the hardware in your PC, i.e. drivers? Is it easy to install dated printers for example, or scanners?

Back to the topic, I use Windows XP Pro both at home and the office. They work very well for me. We missed out on Vista, as it had too many bugs while Windows XP was still running well. We're waiting for Windows 7 to work through its bugs first, it may become a reality next year perhaps.
mathiaus
I installed Ubuntu Server on an old computer today only to learn it had no GUI so I was stuck.

Home
I moved my PC to Vista x64 so I could use more RAM as I like to do several things as once, leaving everything open, recording TV in the background, listening to music, etc.
As there was better support for Vista x64 rather than XP x64, I actually chose Vista!
I intend to move to Windows 7 at some point though, its just the upgrade cost and porting everything over that is putting me off doing it first thing in October.

Work
What little has Vista either came in with an XP Downgrade or we have downgraded it ourselves. Slow, incompatible with some required software, users couldn't find things, etc)
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
How compatible would Ubuntu be with the hardware in your PC, i.e. drivers? Is it easy to install dated printers for example, or scanners?

The base of native linux drivers has grown considerably; generally you never have to worry about it, though there are devices that don't have readily available drivers. There are ways to port over Windows drivers to Linux, however, so a work around is almost always possible. Depending on what the dated hardware is, there may be a linux driver already available from when it was current. Some older hardware came with linux drivers on the driver disk as well, just take a look and see what's there.

With the way that Windows has been going, I can see myself sticking with XP for years to come, or possibly abandoning MS altogether. XP grew into a great OS, but these later offerings don't offer near the experience that XP did. With the great strides in MacOS and Linux, there's really no reason to screw around with lesser MS products.
ortphysics
I'm running a dual-boot system: I have Windows XP and Windows 7 RC1. Although I'm mainly using Windows 7, I still keep Windows XP on my other drive, really just for the programs that don't run quite good in Windows 7 (and there are just a couple of them).
Windows XP is a nice and stable OS, especially when you're using SP3, yet it is quite old now and I believe it's about time to advance.
gameproff
XP Proff FTW! Seriously I think its the last Windows OS I will ever own. I am keeping an eye on this one ReactOS.

Current setup is XP Proff & CoLinux running Ubuntu 9.0.

Ideal setup would be a linux machine with a VM running the afore mentioned ReactOS, once the project matures a bit.
Silayon
Two of my computers have XP and my laptop is Vista. I usually prefer Vista as none of it's features bother me much, and it's shiny Cool
sanalskumar
What is the problem with windows Xp, if you really want to stick to Windows???
Windows XP is the best Windows operating system that Microsoft ever released, i will say. Or else for a change you may try any Linux distros like Ubuntu or fedora. I dont think Windows 7 is a good choice...
bigt
Possum wrote:
Hi

cheers Possum

Who doesn't still run XP? Smile Most of the companies I know of are going to jump straight to Win7. There have been some converts to Vista, but XP runs so well, why change a good thing? Vista = WindowsME I'm glad Win7 is looking very nice and running great. Can't wait to make the change here at the office.
Fire Boar
bigt wrote:
Who doesn't still run XP? Smile

Those who don't still run Windows, that's who. And those who've bought a new computer recently and know nada about changing their operating system.

Seriously, why do these companies recommend Windows Vista so heartily? Oh, wait, hang on, I know. It's because Microsoft are paying them to.
Glyph
I still use XP, but I also dual boot Debian with XFCE.
I prefer XP over any other windows distro, as it's what i've used since it came out.
I didn't particularly likes vista's feel either. (maybe windows 7 will be nicer, I have not tried it yet)
imagefree
i use XP
carlospro7
I got XP in my computer, and I have Ubuntu also. Recently though, I installed Win7RC as a third operating system on my computer just to test it out. I didn't want to get rid of XP, so I have three options. I have messed around with vista and I'm okay with not switching. I think you would be surprised to know how many people are still using XP, although, Win7 has potential.
Da Rossa
Still have XP on my main desktop. O love it.
The only problem is not letting over 3GB RAM in it, but XP can do pretty almost everything VIsta can with less memory.

7 is the one, though.
deanhills
I also have Windows XP Professional SP2 at home, and XP Professional SP3 at work. I'm quite happy with it, but if Chrome OS should be proven to be good, or Windows 7 should be proven to be good, I am game to try them out at home. I don't see that happening in the next six months to a year however. I would like them to work through all their bugs first. Right now I am happy, as my old scanner can work with the operating software (maybe won't work on newer OS) and my printer and drivers are quite at home with XP.
[FuN]goku
I've got XP on both my PC's, and my laptop. I'll probably keep it on all these until I go to buy my Alienware for college next year, in which case I'll be having Win7 on that since it has all the vista eyecandy with better performance than vista.
chillinwitya
Possum wrote:
Hi

cheers Possum

I still have mine XP
jwellsy
One machine has 98SE, another runs XP and my newest runs Ubuntu.

To keep giving Microsoft $100-$150 everytime they come out with a new OS revision every what 18 months is crazy! As long as you are able to run all the programs you need/want there is little reason to upgrade an OS. When software developers start making programs that I need that won't run on XP or Linux then I might make a move.

Win3.1 made sense.
Win98 was a revolutionary machine man interface but bug filled comparaded to command prompts.
Win98SE made sense for stability and running popular software.
WinMe and 2000 were not necessay to run additional software.
XP was a good move to run .net Framework based programs.
Vista is not necessary to run anything I care about.
Win7 will not make sense until/if it becomes necessay to run some new breed of software.
Da Rossa
Quote:
To keep giving Microsoft $100-$150 everytime they come out with a new OS revision every what 18 months is crazy! As long as you are able to run all the programs you need/want there is little reason to upgrade an OS. When software developers start making programs that I need that won't run on XP or Linux then I might make a move.

From XP to vista there was a 72 month gap...

And, as long as I can, I like giving m$ money to acquire a new OS, unless I learn to use something better.
menino
I still use XP, especially on my older machines, (P2 300 and 400Mhz, with 128 and 256mb ram) which had windows 98 previously, with an nlite version of windows XP, which runs quite fast.
I used Vista for a while on a test machine (p4 celeron 2.1 Ghz),, but it was crappy.
I'm using windows 7 beta in the office on a test machine, and its better than vista.
But I like XP still, although I find that I still have to reinstall it after 2 months or so, when it starts slowing down.
But the older machines are used for downloading movies.
I also have another sony Viao, which I got in a raffle auction, and gifted to my mom.

xp is still fast for older machines, but waiting for windows7 retail to be in my hands Laughing
welshsteve
I have two PCs and a laptop at home. One PC is running Vista Premium, one is runnign XP Pro SP3 and the laptop is running Ubuntu
ProfessorY91
Possum wrote:

Agreed. I think this is what I'm going to do with my desktop. Unfortunately I'm suffering Windows Vista 64-bit on my laptop. Its a bit of a nightmare, but I've stripped it down to the bare minimum and it seems to be going fine (thank god).
Bielhelm
Xp is used in most of the big domains yet. Because Windows 7 is based on Vista (and its not much more like a little Kernel Update ****** sells for a new OS) it is as instable as Vista. So many big
companies are likely to wait primarily what windows 7 has most problems. Maybe they are updating
when there is a first Servicepack, so you can be sure all kinds of childness are burned out of the system.

I use Xp Pro 32bit and (uargh!) Vista Home Premium 64bit
escritor
I still use Windows XP Service Pack 3 too. Smile
amperx
i still have winXP sp3, i primarily use it for gaming and development, i have the access restrictions in vista/win7 towards development purposes Sad
loyal
Possum wrote:
Hi

cheers Possum

Peace.

I've got it on the family computer. It's too old and so it's not good enough to run vista or windows 7. but xp is still great. Only 40gb hard drive (only 7 gb free!) and 1.5ghz and 512mb of RAM Sad
But i do have vista on my laptop.
welshsteve
I have three computers at home. One runs Vista, one runs XP and a laptop running Ubuntu.
pscompanies
I still stick with XP. I'm going to wait for more Service Packs for Win7 and a better computer before I even consider switching (and even then I may decide to get a Mac).
malcolmpreen
I still use XP... my plan is that it will be the last micro$oft o/s I use, as I am migrating all of my personal systems onto various Linux flavours.

Our work "platform of choice" is still XP... although I understand there are plans to head towards Linux there too... we will see I guess.
Possum
I went and did it.. I upgraded to Windows 7...

But I got carried away and bought another XP computer..lol

Windows 7 seems great..

Thx everyone
anakin_skyrunner
welshsteve wrote:
I have three computers at home. One runs Vista, one runs XP and a laptop running Ubuntu.

Leaving performance aside, which one do you like most?
And this is an honest question, not some "oh, he is definitely going to say XP or Ubuntu because Vista is crap" Smile
jdelfire
me me me.... still using xp for me its more customizable than vista and 7...
Marcuzzo
jdelfire wrote:
me me me.... still using xp for me its more customizable than vista and 7...

I haven't tried Vista, but my new laptop is windows 7 and I have to say it is customisable alright.
the same as XP and maybe even more, it is just a matter of getting used to the menu and taskbar.
silverdown
I still have XP, Vista didnt work out so well for me, i haven't yet upgraded to windows 7 but i plan to just dont have the time to actually save everything and do that.
r4inm4ker
I'm still using XP, mainly because all my needed tools just work on this OS. And I haven't feel to taste the new features of Win 7. Maybe in a year or so I'll try it. I also play less and less games today, but if there's a new game that I couldn't resist to play and it only works on Win 7 (due to directX 10 or 11 maybe), then I'll upgrade without hesitation,lol.
shenyl
I am still actively using XP.

But multi-boot to Vista, Windows 7, and Linux.

Virtual PC - running Windows 2000 - for demo software/training.

Overall XP though still get occasional hang-up - it is very stable.

I guess I will still stick to XP for a long time.

With regards - YOU ARE NOT ALONE - Laughing
Diablosblizz
I have a computer that I just recently setup that runs Windows XP. I would put Windows 7, but it's only a 733 MHz processor with 512 MB of RAM. XP works just fine for what my parents need it for.
Donutey
I got to test out Windows 7 RTM on my laptop (from MSDNAA) some months before it was released. It took some getting used to; I had mainly used XP and Gnome prior to that point. It is not a hugeimprovement over XP, but the UI is very tweakable (you can make it look like Vista if you wish) and games are starting to come out that only support DirectX 10 (which Microsoft is not porting to XP).

So basically, I was a long time XP only user and now I'm almost completely in favor of 7. Rolling Eyes

I'm not looking forward to Windows 8, though. In the past, the next OS version after a good version is a dud...

98 (good) --> Me (horrible) --> XP (good, after SP2) --> Vista (rushed, no real improvment) --> 7 (good)
escritor
If you want to make your Windows XP look different, I suggest this great dark theme. Smile
LostOverThere
Quote:

98 (good, after Windows 98 Second Edition) --> Me (horrible) --> XP (good, after SP2) --> Vista (rushed, no real improvment) --> 7 (good)

Fixed. Wink

As for me, I personally still use Windows XP and have no real motivation to change. I've got a Linux box and a Windows XP box and I've yet to experience any major problems with either to encourage me to rethink my setups.
abohrandy
i am on XP here but i have vista on the multi booting thing which i rarely use.
i kinda prefer 7 to vista.