FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone into cycling?

jabce85
I'm into road biking, but unfortunately I live in a relatively flat part of the midwest.. the biggest hills we have are just the gentle rolling type. Anyone else into this sport whether it be on the road or off?
jwellsy
I have a hybrid that I ride a 10 mile course at least 3 days a week on. Towards the end of summer I usually do a metric century (100K).
freeshann
I'm not really into cycling so much... I do like the idea of it thogh... but ...what was going to say was... Here in New Zealand...as part of the recession...lets get over it thing, they are building cycle way from the very top of the island to the very bottom of the island. It will be mostly as flat as possible, but i think this is a super cool idea. It makes me want to be into cycling.
So you people who are into cycling, you should come here to new zealand in a year or so and cycle our whole country from top to bottom....I think it is going to be very cool!
Shocked
Marcuzzo
I go twice around the ring of hasselt every day, adds up to aprox: 20km.
there are smaller bridges on it so it is not entirely flat
socceraggie
My wife and I recently started participating in triathlons. I started riding my road bike several years ago and found myself getting bored with it and going on and off again riding regularly. With the Triathlon training I find myself staying more interested and enjoying my bike workouts more.

Does anyone else participate in Triathlons?
jwellsy
One of my goals is to participate in a 70.3 mile half ironman. I can do the swim and bike prortions. I thought I would never be able to do the running part due to a double compound leg fracture a few years ago. Then I tried New Balance running shoes a couple months ago. This week I am up to jogging 5K 3 times a week. I'm proud of that. I might be able to do a 70.3 this fall, definately will be able to next summer. I'm not fast at all, just want to participate in the over 50 class and complete it.
jwellsy
BTW, does anyone know what the disqualification time limits are on a 70.3 race?
djpharis
i am not into cycling but i like riding my bike but im not verry competive but i have watched cycling on tv before Very Happy
jwellsy
I finally found the cut-off times to be an official finisher at the 70.3 world championship.

1.2-mile Swim: 1:00 after final swim start
56-mile Bike: 4:30 after final swim start
13.1-mile run Finish: 7:30 after final swim start
jwellsy
I did a 101K ride yesterday. My first metric centry this year. Just as I was leaving the house there was a loud pop shhhhh, The whole stem popped off my rear inner tube. After fixing that flat the rest was the ride went fine. My bottom bracket started squeekin a little bit towards the end, so I'll probably have to replace that sometime this summer. I was so tired last night I had to go to bed about 9pm. Thought I might be sore today. But, I feel great no achs or pains at all.
jabce85
ha, wow.. sounds like quite an event.. nice job on the 100k
jwellsy
Hey, thanks. I am kind of proud of it. My goal was to just do it, so it was a leisurly pace and took me 4 hours. I need to knock that down to under 3.5 hours to be on target for a 70.3 race. Bikeing should be my strongest event so I may be able to get closer to 3 hours on the biking to give me more margin on the running. My running really sucks. I'm jogging 5K without stopping, 3 days a week. I'm so slow it's pathetic. But, I am getting better. I can feel my core strength getting stronger by the week.
socceraggie
For your triathlon training, check out active.com for good tips and articles on how to train and impove your times. As for your 'pathetic' running, try running on hills or doing sprint drills one day a week instead of running a 5k. This will not only help you gain speed and strength, but will make your workouts more interesting. Gives you something different to do. I know I get bored with my run workouts too so this has helped give me something new to look forward to and a break from the long runs.

Also, I think I saw you mention you use new balance shoes, if you can find a good pair of nike + shoes, you can use your IPod and track your runs very easily. It is a very cool way to see when you struggle on your runs. I used this to train for a 10K I did back in May and found that I was slowing down significantly around mile 4. This helped me modify my workouts and my event run to get the best time I could.

Congrats on your 100K bike ride!!!
jwellsy
Thanks Aggie for the input and turning me on to that website, there's some good info there.

Those Nikes seem kind of gimmiky to me. Yeah, I'm sold on New Balance for now. Maybe Santa will bring me some of those Nikes for Christmas.

I do vairy my pace while jogging. When I catch myself not breathing very hard I pick up the pace till my breathing gets too labored then I slow down again till I get back to a conversational breathing. So it's a constant seesaw between over and under exertion where the overall performance is getting better. I'm also fighting a mild case of shin splints, so I'm trying to concetrate on good streatching.

I almost hurt myself this weekend. I did another 100K ride and only took 2 power bars, I needed 3. I was worn out. I am very close to boinking without actually going over the edge. I'll probably just do some resistance training today. I guess thats a good lesson learned to don't do big rides on consecutive weekends. Maybe I'll limit them to once a month.
socceraggie
It does sound like you over did it with two 100k rides in a row like that. I hope I am not making the same mistake as I'm planning a ride to work. I live 31 miles from my office and I'm planning on bringing my bike with me on my car this Wednesday morning and then riding home. Then riding back to work the next morning. I went on a 2 hour ride over the weekend and probably covered over thirty miles. I'm just not sure about 2 days in a row.

I totally understand about the shoes. When you find a good pair you have to stick with them! For your shin splints try running on trails or grass (anything but asphalt or concrete) if you aren't already. Some high school tracks use a nice rubber material that can help reduce the impact of running.

Lastly, do you run with an Ipod or something? I've found this helps my rythm if I put together a good playlist of songs that have a rythm similar to my pace. Helps keep me going at a more consistant speed.
jwellsy
You could do a 35 mile ride twice in one week like on a Tuesday and a Saturday, then the next week do it once on Saturday then again on Sunday ending each ride at home. Then take a week off from the longer rides before doing the trip from/to work. You don't want to be 20 miles from home then find out your in trouble.

One thing I use a lot on the bike is a cheap speedometer/odometer. They only run $10-$15. They are very easy to instal. You have to tell it what size wheel you have and your good to go. It's well worth the money.

What kind of bike do you have? A 30 mile ride on a mountain bike will beat the heck out you, and will force you to work a lot harder than other bikes. I have a hybrid bike. It's built similar to a road bike but designed for comfort. They have larger diamater wheels than a mountain bike so you go further with each pedal/wheel rotation, and they have a smaller width tire so there is less road contact area and less rolling resistance.

I do run in the grass as much as possible. My shin splint pain is from years of not flexing my foot up very much. Last year I was being fitted for a custom set of ski boot by one of the best boot fitters in the world and he described my ankles as "locked" due to the limited range of motion. Now that I'm jogging, those tendons are having to hyper extend from their atrophied lengths. One ankle is worse than the other and at first wouldn't allow my heel to strike first. So, when I first started jogging I sounded like I had a flat tire, shu flop shu flop shu flop. I've got it loosened up enough now that I at least sound normal even if I do still look like I've escaped from a short bus when I slow down to catch my breath.

I do have an ipod touch but I don't have very much music on it. I use it for pdf's, and interviews. I haven't found any earphones or headphones that I like for working out. I'd like to try one of those bone phones that came out several years ago that drapes around the back of your neck. So far everything I've tried like that has been more hassel and discomfort than it was worth. Like they say simple minds are simply entertained.
socceraggie
I have a Trek road bike that I bought several years ago that I maintain very well. It does great on longer rides. I did a 60 mile ride in Longmont Colorado when I first moved to Colorado and it did great.... I survived but my legs were definitely feeling the altitude!!! I have a great little Cateye computer on my bike that gives me plenty of information (speed, distance, etc). I have a buddy who lives close by and works halfway to my office. He is going to ride with me a couple of mornings. The more I think about it, I think I'll start to make this a weekly event (at least until the weather turns cold and wet). The guys I work with are placing bets on how long it will take me. I'm trying to talk them into a "Price is Right" policy: if I beat all of their proposed times I win the pot! Smile They haven't agreed to this yet unfortunately!

What speedometer/odometers have you used that you would recommend? My wife needs something simple and we don't want to spend a lot of money on anything. Thanks!
jwellsy
Trek makes a great bike. That's what Lance Armstrong rode for a lot of years. I misunderstood where you were coming from. I wasn't tring to be condenscending with that diatribe. A 60 mile ride in Colorado is a heck of a lot harder than a 60 mile ride at 300' above sea level. I spent a week in Winter Park this past spring skiing and the elevation kicked my butt. Even the lodge I think was over 10K. If I hit the lottery I'll go back there and open an oxygen bar in the Whistler style village they are building.

I have no brand loyalty to bike electronics. I go for the cheapest one that has basic functions. Other than battery replacements, I've never had one quit on me yet. They are all probably made in the same factory along side Casio and Timex watches. I have an Avenir and a Sigma Sport. Catseye does have the biggest market share and brand recognition. You may want to concider one of those fancy ones that measures work output. You could track your rides like you do your runs with the Nikes, and give your bride your Catseye.
socceraggie
No worries. I did not sense any condescending wording in your messages. I finished my rides from and to work this morning. It turned out to be a bit further than Google maps said it was. It was more like 38 miles one way. I had a good ride but I'm just terrible on hills. I lost the bet though due to the extra distance. I thought it was going to be closer to 30 miles and that I could do it closer to 2 hrs but ended up taking 2:40.

Thanks for the feedback on the computers. I've looked at those fancier ones but I'm not quite ready for that. Maybe next year as I get closer to a half ironman.
Alaskacameradude
I love it and I'm in Alaska. I'm not hardcore like some of the guys I have seen riding up in Fairbanks
when it is -60. Of course where I live now, it just rains HARD all winter and there are still hardcore
guys out in the 35 degree weather with 50 knot winds and horizontal pelting rain.....almost
as bad as the crazy guys up north. I do it in the spring and summer and early fall when it's nice
out and it's a blast.
jabce85
... you don't call yourself hardcore when you ride in temps around -60. wow! i consider you hardcore, haha
andysart380
ive been looking for a nice mountain bike for a while now i used to do a 15 mile course every other day and want to get back into it...nice bike with disc brakes and suspension never riden one like that but i bet its better than what i used to ride
socceraggie
I'm also interested in buying a mountain bike. Anyone have any good suggestions on things to look for? What is good? What is bad? Things I don't need and shouldn't pay for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I haven't ridden a mountain bike since college and that was a while ago!

Thanks!
professor
I like Cycling. I've ride 1000 miles in August

jabce85 wrote:
I'm into road biking, but unfortunately I live in a relatively flat part of the midwest.. the biggest hills we have are just the gentle rolling type. Anyone else into this sport whether it be on the road or off?
professor
Weel, in Alaska it's nice to ride.

Alaskacameradude wrote:
I love it and I'm in Alaska. I'm not hardcore like some of the guys I have seen riding up in Fairbanks
when it is -60. Of course where I live now, it just rains HARD all winter and there are still hardcore
guys out in the 35 degree weather with 50 knot winds and horizontal pelting rain.....almost
as bad as the crazy guys up north. I do it in the spring and summer and early fall when it's nice
out and it's a blast.
jwellsy
socceraggie wrote:
I'm also interested in buying a mountain bike. Anyone have any good suggestions on things to look for? What is good? What is bad? Things I don't need and shouldn't pay for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I haven't ridden a mountain bike since college and that was a while ago!

Thanks!

I see that you are in Colorado where you have some long epic downhill runs. I think that would be a good case for disc brakes. If you lived in a place that rolling hills average less then a hundred feet of vertical, disc brakes are probably a waste of money. A half mile vertical drop is a lot more heat generation in brakes, and you want the best brakes you can afford.
driftingfe3s
I use to do a lot of running untill I injured my knees. Cycling sounds like a good option to get back into shape since I don't get any pain cycling. I always thought that cycling was much easier than running though, but if I were to tackle some hills and cover some distance I'd get a great workout.
supernova1987a
I love cycling. But I need to buy a new one.
It's a good exercise too.
socceraggie
Does anyone else go to cycle classes? I go to these once a week or so (especially during the winter). I enjoy the exercise but the class times don't always work with my schedule. Does anyone have a good gym Cycle workout they could pass along?
supernova1987a
socceraggie wrote:
Does anyone else go to cycle classes? I go to these once a week or so (especially during the winter). I enjoy the exercise but the class times don't always work with my schedule. Does anyone have a good gym Cycle workout they could pass along?

Cycle classes? What is that like? I have never heard of it.
socceraggie
supernova1987a wrote:
socceraggie wrote:

Cycle classes? What is that like? I have never heard of it.

A lot of workout facilities have classes where an instructor will play music and you have a group workout on a stationary bike. Typically a good instructor will have a planned workout like creating scenarios that you are climbing a hill (turning up resistance) and so on. They can be fun but definitely not as nice as a real ride.
rogue_skydragon
I'm currently a student at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and cycling is pretty much the primary mode of transportation here. I can tell you, that even though I'm not a professional cyclist, my legs are pretty strong thanks to how much I ride my bike...to and from classes, work, film projects, meetings, etc. It's such a great way to do your cardio
Starrfoxx
Oh, I love cycling. One of these days I would love to do a cross country cycling trip.
socceraggie
I'm very excited that summer is almost here. Past summer I road my bike to work which is 35 miles away, one way. I can't do it every work day. I'm going to shoot to do this again this summer. I'm going to try and do this again this summer and maybe do it more often. Maybe once a week, depending on weather.
paul_indo
I used to cycle a lot but gave up about 6 years ago.
I cycled to work for a year or so before that but Jakarta is not a safe place to cycle or even walk. The traffic is insane and the condition of the roads is very poor. Footpaths are almost nonexistant in most of the city, and if they don't kill you the pollution eventually will.

Despite the silly tourist adds you can not "do anything in Jakarta", in fact you can't do much at all.
priyank
cycling is one of my all time fav activity
i usualy ride my bike in summer time mostly every day
i love cycling race i can say i am pretty good with it =)
socceraggie
I went for a leisurely bike ride with a friend of mine the other day and borrowed his bike. he had his old clips still on and not thinking much about it I said that wouldn't be a problem even though I didn't have the cleats to clip in with. Well about 15 minutes into our ride, my tennis shoes were killing me! I'm pretty sure I took about 3 months off the life of them.

Simple advice.... don't try this. It sucks.
chatrack
Hi,
It was once the main way of long travel to me. I used to go to school, in my 3/4 cycle.
Now it is a way of exercise to me. Cycling is a good exercise, becouse you will not get bored
in a single room like in jim. You get fresh air are can view places and people during ride.
I recoment every one should use cycle for keeping good health.
socceraggie
chatrack wrote:
I recoment every one should use cycle for keeping good health.

It is good exercise but I've found I get bored going for long road rides. One way I've found to balance my workouts is to train for triathlons. The challenge and change in activities keeps my ADD in check.