FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can i host joomla in frihost??

maaji
Question

Mod Edit - Try writing something next time.
TVme
Yes, and it's easily auto-installed using Fantastico Deluxe from your C-Panel once you are granted a site.
sonam
TVme wrote:
Yes, and it's easily auto-installed using Fantastico Deluxe from your C-Panel once you are granted a site.

How I know new members get Direct Admin not cPanel and DA haven't Fantastico.
AftershockVibe
The answer to your question is yes.

Also, you're better not installed through CPanel, even if you have the option, because it will not always be the latest version which often include security fixes.
andrew72nd
Is there a tutorial about how should someone install the latest version of Joomla on frihost?I have to create a few pages, and I want to upload them, but until now I didn't found any free hosting with joomla, and I don't really want to upload each file from htdocs. Thank you in advance Idea
menino
If you have a frihost hosting, adn direcct admin, use the file manager to upload the installation file of joomla, and then untar / unzip it, and run the install from username.frihost.org/install.php

hope this works for you.
andrew72nd
yes, it will do ! Thank you. I was looking for a post like this, just to know if it is worth trying.
metalfreek
Yes you can install almost all CMS in frihost but you have to do this manually because the is no one click installer in frihost like fantastico.
andrew72nd
menino wrote:
If you have a frihost hosting, adn direcct admin, use the file manager to upload the installation file of joomla, and then untar / unzip it, and run the install from username.frihost.org/install.php

hope this works for you.

I tried this but I received an "404 Not Found" error. I extracted the files in Public folder so the install.php is in the same folder as the index.html(the default index of frihost). I also tried creating a new folder and copied all joomla files in it, and still install.php was not found. Did someone encountered such problem?
andrew72nd
...I managed to install it after all... but I don't know exactly why in first place it didn't found the files. Now I cannot access administrator folder. Is it because of the permission level 755 and 644 ? I do not know exactly the meaning of them. Or should I be patient with the site because of the traffic, and I should wait a time until the changes I made would affect the domain...?!
Do you think it's because of my connection?...I think my connection is good, because I uploaded the .zip file in few seconds. Hope someone can answer my questions. Thank a lot! Rolling Eyes
Asap170
What do you get when you try to access it? Permission forbidden? or not found?
andrew72nd
Asap170 wrote:

I think it was because configuration.php was not writable, and each time I accessed the administrator/index.php I received the installation page. But finally I uploaded manually the file as it was written in the last pages of the installation process, and I didn't see it until the 2nd try, and it works fine.

The only thing I have not yet discovered is which files should be left with permission 777, so all components work fine in back-end administration? I saw that if I try to install new components and plug-ins I have to modify the permission in order to be able to create new folders and files.

By any chances, do you know if there are any file types restrictions in frihost, cause I searched in forums and FAQ, but I didn't found an answer to this question.That means that there are no restrictions... regarding the file type that I want to upload(except that I shouldn't waste space for photo albums or any other things that I could on a social, community site like facebook - I think that's one of the things that you agree with when you register to frihost)
anyway ... Great support ! Thank you and all users that answer others questions. Idea
Asap170
andrew72nd wrote:
Asap170 wrote:

I think it was because configuration.php was not writable, and each time I accessed the administrator/index.php I received the installation page. But finally I uploaded manually the file as it was written in the last pages of the installation process, and I didn't see it until the 2nd try, and it works fine.

The only thing I have not yet discovered is which files should be left with permission 777, so all components work fine in back-end administration? I saw that if I try to install new components and plug-ins I have to modify the permission in order to be able to create new folders and files.

By any chances, do you know if there are any file types restrictions in frihost, cause I searched in forums and FAQ, but I didn't found an answer to this question.That means that there are no restrictions... regarding the file type that I want to upload(except that I shouldn't waste space for photo albums or any other things that I could on a social, community site like facebook - I think that's one of the things that you agree with when you register to frihost)
anyway ... Great support ! Thank you and all users that answer others questions. Idea

Far as I know they don't like you to have copy-righted material (songs). They also don't want .exe files on there.

This is the opposite of what you said, but you can upload .zip and .tar.gz but even though firhost manager says you can extract them you can't. Why I don't really know.

Hope that helps.
andrew72nd
Asap170 wrote:

Far as I know they don't like you to have copy-righted material (songs). They also don't want .exe files on there.

This is the opposite of what you said, but you can upload .zip and .tar.gz but even though firhost manager says you can extract them you can't. Why I don't really know.

Hope that helps.

...but .zip you can extract.I did it from direct admin. but I didn't try .tar.gz ... I think they are for unix...I don't use it. Too bad for me.. Smile
Asap170
Maybe they fixed it. Good luck with Joomla.
gandalfthegrey
I am trying to upgrade from Joomla 1.523 to 1.6. I can manage to upload and unzip jupgrade using CPanel, but it won't install as a component in my Joomla admin panel. HELP!
AsadAnsari
Few Hours before now I was searching this topic .. for help ..
but not i have installed it successfully without anyone's help.

Its working finaly..
And its working Fine ..

PM me for Help ..

asad@designerlab.co
http://DesignerLab.co