FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Virus in External Hard Drive Recycle Bin Changes File Names

patasarriba
Hello everyone,

A virus/trojan got into my external hard drive. I deleted it, and it went to the Recycle Bin. It infected both the folder where it first was and the Recycle Bin. It basically changed all file and folder names to something like d25a in the Recycle Bin and something really long and incomprehensible in the main folder. I formatted the drive, all the information was deleted, and the hard drive now seems to be working fine. But file names in the Recycle Bin are still being changed once a file arrives there, and I can't empty it because it says something like "invalid file path." Help!

Thanks, Sandra
the zephyrus
Sounds like you didn't format it (emptying and formatting aren't the same). That or you formatted it using an infected system which promptly reinfected it. I would back up all data onto optical (as in non-modifiable) media and try to either clean the system or reinstall it entirely onto a clean reformat. Then reformat the external. A Linux LiveCD might be good to format everything from, to make sure no malicious program is running meanwhile.
maaji
i have same problem :s
patasarriba
Looks like this actually isn't a virus:

https://forums.comodo.com/bug_reports/cfp_3014_canaacutet_startup_when_winsweep_start_up_before-t17732.0.html;prev_next=prev

I think I have a corrupt Recycle Bin, though. I'll see what I can do about that with Windows XP....

Thanks for your replies, and good luck, maaji!