FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pen Drive issue...

sanalskumar
One my friend is having a transcend 2 GB pen drive, which is having some problem while connecting to my machine. It is not detecting; but in his machine it is working fine. I have tried other 2-3 pen drives on my machine. All are working. Even i use USB mouse also. To make sure, i re-installed the USB drivers. But still that pen drive is not detecting.

I am afraid, what kind of problem is this? Does anybody have any comments?
noah
Does it require special drivers to operate? Check the website and download the drivers for the pen drive not just USB. Sometimes they'll be running something special on the disk that requires drivers to load it properly.
sanalskumar
The pen drive is working in other machines without any proble. And i tried after formatting also. Even without data it is not detecting in my machine. I thought it might be some kind of compatibility issue. Or the problem with my on board controller. Mine is a bit old machine. Its been 2 and half years i am using this machine.
the zephyrus
Does it show up under the list of devices? Go to My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager and see if it's listed, and if it has a ? on it. (Might be slightly different depending on your version of Windows.)
sanalskumar
the zephyrus wrote:
Does it show up under the list of devices? Go to My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager and see if it's listed, and if it has a ? on it. (Might be slightly different depending on your version of Windows.)

As I already told that the pen drive is not detecting at all. Then there is no question of driver problems, i guess... Anyways i have tried re-installing the driver also (I know it is a foolish act, as all other USB devices including other pen drives are working in my system). I strongly suspect that somehow it is the problem with the pen drive only.
aningbo
may be taking it to the service centre will do the trick.

does it work in other systems apart from his system? at times, some pendrive doesnt work for some weird reasons. try restarting ur system if u havent.
sanalskumar
aningbo wrote:
may be taking it to the service centre will do the trick.

does it work in other systems apart from his system? at times, some pendrive doesnt work for some weird reasons. try restarting ur system if u havent.

It is having problem in my system only. I was facing this problem for more than one week. I have done all that i can, and i given it back to him.
Pepperfan
sanalskumar,

Quote:
As I already told that the pen drive is not detecting at all.

Note it is very bad form to come back like this.

In your description of the problem you never stated exactly how you determined that the drive was not detected. If what you did was look in My Computer and did not see it then what "the zephyrus" recommended is a good suggestion and you should do it.

If you do not want people suggesting things you have already tried then you should let us know in detail what you have done and tried. Doing that helps keep frihost forums a civil place where people are glad to share their experience and expertise.

Lets keep it friendly everyone.

Thanks,
Charles
sanalskumar
Pepperfan wrote:
sanalskumar,

Quote:
As I already told that the pen drive is not detecting at all.

Note it is very bad form to come back like this.

In your description of the problem you never stated exactly how you determined that the drive was not detected. If what you did was look in My Computer and did not see it then what "the zephyrus" recommended is a good suggestion and you should do it.

If you do not want people suggesting things you have already tried then you should let us know in detail what you have done and tried. Doing that helps keep frihost forums a civil place where people are glad to share their experience and expertise.

Lets keep it friendly everyone.

Thanks,
Charles

I am really Sorry Mr. Charles. I didn't mean to offend anybody, I was just quoting my previous post. Anyways i am happy that people around here really cares about others.

I know that detecting means the OS finds a newly plugged in hardware to the machine and load the available driver to install the device to the machine, or it prompts for the driver.. In that sense, i told like that. And please don't take this as an argument.

Sorry 'zephyrus'

Charles, Thanks for pointing my mistake, Good Day...
bloodrider
First, you should go to your "Device Manager" and see if the pen drive is detected and correctly installed (without any "exclamation point"). The pen drive may be recognized and you won't even notice if you're "at your desktop"...

If it's all good, then one of the issues may be it's "letter". Go to "Administrative tools"-->"Disk Management" and change the "letter" of the pen drive so it will show up on your explorer Wink
sanalskumar
The device is not shown in the device manager. Even the LED in the pen drive is not blinking.

I tried from within Ubuntu live CD, in my system. There, 2-3 times it detected and mounted the drive, but after that it is not detecting. I tried restating the machine. Then also it is the same. Is it possible to have any loose contacts on the board inside the pen drive? I don't have any idea, what will happen in that case...
aningbo
well... i hope its not some fake chinese product.

take it to the service center.
chatrack
May be 1 of the 4 contacts in USB may be loose in pc side