FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Facebook posting...





gverutes
For those of you who have Facebook I have a complaint...now that almost everyone can update their status from their phones -- I think posting updates to the news feed has gotten so ridiculous. I was having this discussion with my roomates the other day. Why do I need to know what you are doing every five friggin' seconds? Even if you are my close friend, I don't care that you are "washing your hair" or "bored". These people who do this, are in my opinion RIDICULOUS. We all need attention sometimes, but are you that starving for attention that you need to tell us what you are doing ALL THE TIME. Maybe me signing on to Facebook and viewing the news feed is what feeds this sort of thing, but I don't like it. I use Facebook to share photos and get in touch with friends that I haven't spoken to in a long while.

Let me know your thoughts on this...
Magicman
Yes it is annoying when people update their Facebook statuses way too often. However, the best solution to this problem is choosing to hide the offending person's updates from appearing on your home feed.
Ghost Rider103
This is the main reason why I do not allow Facebook or Twitter to send updates or twitters (or whatever you call them) to my cell phone.

I already think the website is cluttered with the updates, I couldn't imagine how crazy I would go if they were delivered to my cell phone. I already get annoyed of the forwards people send me through text messages.

But yes I think people are taking this too far. I agree with you, I really do not care if you are washing your hair or getting ready to eat. I can understand telling somebody that if you are talking to them directly, however, updating your entire friends list of that is not necessary.

I personally have never updated my Facebook status. I've always left mine blank.

However I am sure everyone has their own thoughts on this.
HalfBloodPrince
I find Facebook a lot less annoying than Twitter. Sure, you end up getting split-second updates from your friends about what they're doing at any given moment (which no one gives a shit about) but there's also other things to do on the site (sending messages, posting on walls, etc.). On Twitter, however, the nonsense update shit is all there is to it.

0MG IM DRINKIN C0FFEE WUT BOUT U???!1/

LULZ IM TAEK A CRAP *TWEEEET*
Ghost900
I know what you mean, I think some users use Facebook similar to Twitter and while Facebook enjoys it sometimes it is a little annoying to some of us.

Best thing to do is turn off those types of notifications and remove that user from your home page news feed if your able to.
ProfessorY91
Agreed. The mobile update added a whole new unwelcome dimension to my home page. At least they allow you to block certain people (which is what I've unfortunately had to resort to), to keep my feed from scrolling every two minutes. Meaningless status updates are like twitter, useless and a conglomerate of moronic stupidity. Use your status to spread something useful, or to get something useful.
jabce85
it's even more annoying now that people are tying their twitter crap into their facebook account.... twitter is bad enough, but don't force it upon people who don't want to have it..... on a side note, don't get a twitter account if you have nothing interesting to share (aka you'd better have some sort of special life to be on there, e.g. lance armstrong)
Denvis
I agree with you, posting pointless crap about well basically crap. But as everybody says, if you really don't care, don't look at it. The most annoying I find is not FaceBook, but Twitter. I think the entire idea of twitter is stupid. "10:30pm - Denvis is bored, just finished a can of coke". What as the internet become...?
Fatality
Sites such as myspace.com and facebook.com have never had my interest. The only reason I have an account is to share pictures and communicate with people that I haven't talked to in a long time. I never check the status of friends or anything. I rarely ever log on to those sites anymore.

My opinion of twitter is the same...hate it. I see potential uses that would make sense, for the most part I think its stupid.
TurtleShell
I feel the same way. I despise twitter. The day I saw Larry King duking it out with Ashton Kutcher for the most friends on twitter was a very black day indeed. LK dropped several points on the cool-old-guy-o-meter. I also feel that the only contest that LK should lose to AK is "who is prettier".

So I wouldn't get a twitter account if I were the last soul on earth without one. But I do have a face book account, this is exclusively because my friend abroad wanted to chat and he wanted to have an American on his friends page. So, whatever. I have never given a status update, I won't ever give a status update. I have other things to do with my time i think...
James007
What I think is really weird, in a way, is that the path these websites are following is going more and more hypersocial. By hypersocial I mean a kind of social overdrive that is going to set people off. Isn't it obvious that we don't want to see each and every quiz result? Isn't it obvious we don't want everything thrown at us like we're not able to push a button anymore?

If you are a Firefox user and you want to block out the annoying Quiz messages, you can install the script manager called "Greasemonkey" and then load the FB Purity script.

Yesterday there was nothing on my feed because Facebook did a minor change to their html. The script wasn't able to detect what was a quiz result and what wasn't, so from time to time you will have to update the script to a newer version.

soljarag
the thing i find annoying is all the old people joining..... like my aunts and uncles... i dont want them to see some of the stuff i post....

i now have to watch what i say and stuff
spring567
I don't know why I can't open the web http://www.facebook.com/ in China.
DoctorBeaver
I've got an account on both Facebook and Twitter. Through Facebook I've managed to find and stay in touch with people I haven't seen since I moved. In that respect it's good. But I totally agree about the pointless status updates, quiz results, and having silly things thrown at me.

Twitter, though - that's a different story. I found it amusing at first but now I hardly use it. I'm following some celebrities whose tweets can be interesting. Bill Bailey was in Indonesia recently and I enjoyed reading his tweets from there. Stephen Fry tweets photos of places he's in and as he gets to some very interesting places, I quite enjoy those.

In general, though, I find Twitter mind-numbingly boring. I'm sure some people feel compelled to tweet even though they have nothing to say. That's where all the rubbish comes from. I'm only following a few people now (about 20, I think) and I only ever have my page loaded so I don't see the crap everyone else posts.
goutha
In the beginning that was funny to know every detail of what people are doing. But I think that this habit will disappear because as you said, it's ridiculous.
airh3ad
and its nice to have a facebooke account and other social networking site.
JBotAlan
Ahh...social networking annoyances.

To start on-topic:
I have a strong dislike for people who post every few minutes when it is completely pointless. "is bored", "lulz", "firing one out", "eating", "is working", "at class", and "homework" are all very stupid statuses. I have been blessed to have no friends who believe they must frequently push out such crap.

That isn't to say that frequent updates are completely pointless. For instance, I had a friend who went to a robotics tournament and posted several times a day with the most recent score. I appreciated that. However, there are very, VERY few cases where frequent updating is really that useful or necessary.

Another status stupidity: posting a chunk of lyrics as your status. Seeing a couple of stanzas from a pop song does not tell me what you are up to, how you are feeling, or make me laugh, so what is the point? You might identify with that song, but nobody else has any idea what you are talking about.

Along the same lines, I hate it when I am searching for someone and I bump into a picture of this person's cat. That should be against the terms of service. Clearly the profile I am viewing does not indeed belong to the feline I see curled up in a sun spot on the floor. The profile picture is most commonly used to determine whether or not this is the person you are searching for. Quit abusing it!

Same for you people who post pictures of a group of people. The resolution is so bad on Facebook that there's no way I would ever be able to make out all 25 faces, let alone figure out which one is yours. Boyfriend/girlfriend pictures I can understand, provided it is obvious which is the male and which is the female...

Beyond that, all the application invites I get I block. None of them are useful or entertaining. Facebook is a tool for me, not a toy.

[/soapbox]
ankitdatashn
Maybe people think they are very important and think that the other people also might be thinking the same, but believe me nobody even cares for what you are doing or what you did today, this is just our usual perception, afterall how many of us would swear by the heart and say that they care that such and such friend spent half an hour today in Loo, I hope you all got the answer!
driftingfe3s
Yes some status updates are ridiculous, and some update every 15 minutes or so. But I don't really mind it, probably because my friends don't usually have annoying status updates. What I really hate is people posting up results from stupid quizzes. I don't care what kind of designer bag you are or which Disney princess you are. At least status updates are small, these quiz results are huge with a picture.

In the end it doesn't really matter, you can block people from your feed very easily.
apple
I don't read the status updates really, I just go to home and click photos. lol

These days however farmtown the facebook application has me hooked! Never in my wildest dreams could I conceive that a game (not only a game but one on facebook) would have me longing for more time to spend online than I ever have before. Embarassed
Dean_The_Great
There are certain people I've had to limit their stories on my home page because they are too freakin' annoying. Others, who even update once a day or every couple of days, are totally cool. I like to know what's going on with at least some of my facebook friends.
Insanity
I think there are certain people who abuse it to no end, but that it also has pretty good uses. It allows almost instantaneous updates from wherever to you to the net. That's pretty useful in cases like emergencies and other cases when there is urgent need to update a group of people on what is going on. It can be a life saver for certain people, and we can't forget that. Even if we have to live with the occasional status spam.
IRandom
I do find it annoying when you have someone every 5 mins telling u wat they are doing, i think 1 every 5 hours is enough, and i only ever use facebook to send photos to people who dont have msn!

This is a serious issue lol!
airh3ad
All i can say is facebook web trafic is not good very slow once i visit this social site here in the philippines , sometime i cant open and play of Fv but its a crazy and i love it.
imagefree
gverutes wrote:
For those of you who have Facebook I have a complaint...now that almost everyone can update their status from their phones -- I think posting updates to the news feed has gotten so ridiculous. I was having this discussion with my roomates the other day. Why do I need to know what you are doing every five friggin' seconds? Even if you are my close friend, I don't care that you are "washing your hair" or "bored". These people who do this, are in my opinion RIDICULOUS. We all need attention sometimes, but are you that starving for attention that you need to tell us what you are doing ALL THE TIME. Maybe me signing on to Facebook and viewing the news feed is what feeds this sort of thing, but I don't like it. I use Facebook to share photos and get in touch with friends that I haven't spoken to in a long while.

Let me know your thoughts on this...


this is why i dislike facebook. I used facebook for few days then i left it because i had no reason to use it for long.
Fanghai
i think facebook is like texting. best thing ever invented cuz you don't have to be there physically to recieve the messages. You can check back at a later time and respond to your fellow co-workers and students. Furthermore, it gives the people space to respond to you so they don't feel put under teh pressure of answering right away. anyways, i think facebook is a very good idea. ive started using twitter, but i don't know how that'll turn out yet
erlendhg
I see that some users have already mentioned twitter.
Isn't twitters whole concept just the thing that gverutes pointed as "ridiculous"?

I must say I have never really understood why twitter is so popular, and I agree that every-second-updates on Facebook are quite annoying, but I like the basic concept of status updates as an "extra feature" to Facebook, where it sometimes can be practical to let other people know what you are doing.
Other people's quiz results, however, is pure trash.

James007 wrote:
If you are a Firefox user and you want to block out the annoying Quiz messages, you can install the script manager called "Greasemonkey" and then load the FB Purity script.


Neat Wink I will definitely try that out.
snowboardalliance
I used to rarely if ever update my status. Now I update it anywhere from every three days to three times a day, I think it's reasonable. And for twitter I use it as a more public monologue of my work, and eventually to send out updates about my yet-to-be-started website. I like the idea of twitter as a way to tell people about your blog posts and whatnot. And I agree with everyone that for any social networking site, some people update their status far too often about meaningless crap.
Crazy_Canuck
JBotAlan wrote:

Along the same lines, I hate it when I am searching for someone and I bump into a picture of this person's cat. That should be against the terms of service. Clearly the profile I am viewing does not indeed belong to the feline I see curled up in a sun spot on the floor. The profile picture is most commonly used to determine whether or not this is the person you are searching for. Quit abusing it!


Surely people do and should have free choice as to what to put for their avatar? As a general policy, I never use my photo as my avatar, and never reveal my real identity on these social networking sites. Anyone who knows me in real life will confirm with me in real life what my FB profile name is. Those who don't, I don't want finding me anyway.
guissmo
Thank God that mobile stuff isn't very popular in the Philippines. And yeah, I find those mundane trivial updates rather annoying, even when I'm viewing it in my PC.
Melacos
Well, people who wants to update as regularly as that, would have probably gotten around to do it even before they could do it on the phone.

This said, sure it's 'annoying' or whatever, as it probably doesn't interest that many people if the status updates more or less just become a mere narrative on all the ridiculous small and trivial things happening during a day. However this is an inherent 'risk' in the FB-system as it is, and something that should be expected. The problem (as I see it) is rather that certain people actually become irritated over this, as it shows how much power FB in general has over people's lifes and their values and attitudes toward other people
biljap
I’ve canceled my Facebook account because of things like that… Reading when friend’s friend drunk coffee or washed hair, whenever I login… I don’t care, I don’t want to know. Mad
I liked Facebook at first, it seemed interesting… I met people whose contact I’ve lost years ago… But still… I couldn’t stand the amount of completely stupid and useless comments and posts that popped in front of me all the time. It became a waste of time. For me, at least.
watersoul
I actually left facebook a few days ago, I spent far too much time reading what people had for lunch or other rubbish, and i've gone back to the "old school" world of just phoning/emailing/or even better actually getting out and calling friends instead... friends who actually mean more than a number in a "friends" list!
This was my last note/post...
Quote:

Folks, i'm sorry but i'm locking myself away in a wholesome box for a while, no smoking, no under the influence of anything, no unhealthy eating, no wasted time n stuff, no facebook/digital world addiction, or any of the crap that means nothing apart from stopping me focus on the things that are important...i'm just gonna be a good dad for a while, eating healthy, training/excercising hard to get fit, focussing on the real world and stuff that actually means deep things to me.

I'm on a mission in my head and unfortunately distractions like "so and so crazy party" event invites happening next week etc don't help coz i'm weak willed and cant help myself if i know something's going on as i wanna be there! ..so i'm runnin away from it all and not doing the checking facebook thing anymore until i've changed my life for the better!! ...call me crazy but hey...i dont care!

Was gonna just delete my account but didnt wanna be rude or let anyone think i've blanked them or whatever, but I do need to get a grip on where i'm going in the real world so keeping my head only in the real world is the easiest way to do it. I check my email most days obviously, so if anyone has anything you wanna share just personally with me then "*********@hotmail.co.uk" is the place to do it, or a text, or even better just an old school phone call!

Dont waste your time or effort clicking "like" or "comment" after reading this coz i'm logging off after i click "publish", just letting u all know the score that i'm running back to the real day-to-day world (or emails which are really like old school letters) ...maybe its just too many app's...too many distractions, whatever...or too many things that stop me looking at the physical real things that are really important in life! lol

...love ya'all but laterz 4 now Smile


I've had so much more time on my hands since being free from facebook slavery, and it's been lovely actually seeing friends and saying "hey what've you been up to?" without knowing already because I'd read it online! If it's important enough then the people who are far away know how to get in touch if they want to...Facebook does has its use in the world, but hundreds of "friends" sharing every bit of their day isn't interesting to me anymore, it's kindv boring, like rubbish day-time TV! Wink
ForceRun
It can be silly, but it is what you make of it. on twiter you can pick who you follow, and facebook has a bunch of settings for controling some of the crap you have to deal with.
tuenti_login
i don't like facebook.
polly-gone
You could easily choose to "Hide" that person's posts or find the place in settings where you can "View less of [person name]". Its basically the same way twitter is. If you don't like the status updates, don't look at them.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
logicfail182
you know what's funny? a lot of people do this. Many people may complain, but many more people do it. Microblogging has become socially acceptable. kind of sad when you think about it.
Radar
I don't mind the microblogging when it's Twitter. That's fine, and Twitter is intended for that. Facebook isn't really, and it's kind of been twisted to that purpose to my way of thinking. Especially by the people that link their Facebook status to their Twitter. On the other hand though, people who don't link their Twitter and Facebook tend to only end up doing one or the other, leaving one neglected, so I don't know.
ShareVok
I don't like Profile Sites...

a little Story...

On a Weekday I was out with friends in some bars, talked with an nice sweet girl, she asked me for my facebook profile, but I don't wanna register and so I said: "Sry girl I'm on 5 Profile-Sites and every Year I would get asked about a new Site, it's annoying!" Why can't we choose ONE of them??? Rolling Eyes
BigGeek
I agree, I could really care less if my cousins in the UK are drinking at a bar, lying in the sun, or whatever....how boreing! Plus it clutters stuff up.

I will say that I love the fact that I have reconnected with friends I lost contact years ago with, and I also love the fact that I can use the pages to advertise and earn money. And the bigger Facebook and twitter get the more useful they are for earning money, so I will say that works for me.
missdixy
Same reason why I've never been a big fan of twitter. At least, not of the mobile updating option. I use it occasionally but so many people on my friend's list update like every five minutes....now it's carried over to face book. It's annoying, I share your pain!
ankitdatashn
snowboardalliance wrote:
I used to rarely if ever update my status. Now I update it anywhere from every three days to three times a day, I think it's reasonable. And for twitter I use it as a more public monologue of my work, and eventually to send out updates about my yet-to-be-started website. I like the idea of twitter as a way to tell people about your blog posts and whatnot. And I agree with everyone that for any social networking site, some people update their status far too often about meaningless crap.


And how many would be interested in seeing those updates, ever wondered, haha Razz
Roald
I like using facebook just for the contact you have with people you don't see everyday or watching pictures, but I have to agree with all of you: people who update their status too often have mostly an uninteresting life or a life I prefer not to hear about. Luckily only a few of my "friends" are such annoying people.

Btw: you can create groups of friends and let facebook filter your homepage with these groups, this makes it easier to read interesting people's status.
Arty
I hate how once you "like" or get tagged in something that has nothing to do with you, you continue to get updates every time someone makes a comment...
paskifire
guissmo wrote:
Thank God that mobile stuff isn't very popular in the Philippines. And yeah, I find those mundane trivial updates rather annoying, even when I'm viewing it in my PC.


I think that mobile stuff is going to be popular in the Philippines because many pinoys discover the "how to do" trick in posting facebook things thru mobile phones. I also agree that "often status changer" users are annoying. I can't find a good reason on why do they have to broadcast every activities. BTW, I'm a Pinoy. Mabuhay Pilipinas Very Happy
medesignz
instead of going to Facebook.com why not go to Facebook.com/inbox... saves you worrying about any sort of update post.

twitter is all about tweets. you can download apps such as TweetDeck and only get the updates from people you actually care about as building a group with filters is quite easy
supernova1987a
Haha why do you post what you are doing everysecond?? "what are you doing?" is now "Share" so whatever you want to share today write it or paste it or link it. Or if you see some interesting stuff or doing something interesting then write it. Thats what it is. Getting hooked up on ur phone trying to tell ur friends what u are doing every minute is a dumb idea. Focus on your work and finish it. Keep some mystery. Its fun.
But, well yeah, lets see how this technology turns out. New lifestyles new experiences. So maybe mysteries can be kept in other ways. Or there could be some other fun. Well, thoughts, thoughts and thoughts running through my mind. Why should I share? (all of it)
guth75
I don't really see how this is a problem, but I hate how your facebook page gets so cluttered by Application updates, that what annoys me. Every time you take a quiz, add a flair, play a favorite game, etc. it asks you for an update and its fast to say yes...

That's what I have to say, so... Thanks for the coversation!

Very Happy
hofodomo01
Meh, I have "phases" of using it on and off. I don't find it too annoying; I think it's a good way to just see what's going on with everyone.
standready
Do I really need to know what is going on with someone every minute of every day - please, do I really care? I still prefer to actually "talk" to people.

"Remember: what you say on the internet is there forever!"
amperx
i really dont like theses updates, some are so nonsense that you could ask, why do they even bother posting that, as if we care, but oh well, a simple block can get rid of it easily. Very Happy
Related topics
Rules for posting in the General Chat forum
What to do BEFORE making a new topic!
Rules for posting in the Funny Pictures Forum
Rules for posting in the Jokes forum
Error on posting
Posting Guidelines / Guidelines to Make Quality Posts
[PhP] News Posting Tutorial (code, actually ^^')
Rules for posting in the Music Forum
Posting in Portuguese to Apply for a Web Hosting
Why I havent been posting....
Rules for posting funny VIDEOS..
Weird Posting Thing...
Frih$ and posting points
Google’s Thoughtful Response to Facebook [Pt 1]
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.