FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does ANYONE understand nVidia's new naming scheme?

David_Pardy
I can't figure it out.

I have a 9800GTX+, and I'm trying to work out what its equivalent counterpart in their new naming system is.

A Google search and reading of the top results brings up old news and other people who are confused.

I haven't tried the nVidia website again yet though.

Unfortunately I can't go by price comparisons due to the original prices for my card no longer being available.
william
Oh, so how it compares to the GTX260 or GTX280 and such? Well, nVidia did rebadge much of the Geforce 9000 series cards. The 9800GTX+, specifically, is now called the GTS250. It is slightly different though since the board design is a bit different (so it's about an inch or so shorter) and it consumes less power. Other than that, pretty much the same card and same performance as the 9800GTX+. Oh, one other thing, the 1 GB version of the 9800GTX+ had a 9-10% lower memory speed than the 512 MB version. In the GTS250, they bring the speed of the 1 GB back up to the 512 MB.
QrafTee
Only have something GTX260 and higher.
LostOverThere
Yeah, I don't understand it either. Their last naming scheme worked perfectly.
QrafTee
LostOverThere wrote:
Yeah, I don't understand it either. Their last naming scheme worked perfectly.

I think they feared have a 10800GTX and so on would only serve to intimidate customers.
David_Pardy
Hey William - thanks heaps for the info.

I take this to mean that the 260, 275, 285 and 295 are higher end cards?

I'm trying to help my brother pick out a new card but I'm not really sure what to tell him to get Smile
8166UY
True.
But just buy him an Ati HD4890. That one is nearly as fast as an GTX285 (overclocked models can be faster!), but for the half amount of bucks. I always had a weakness for NVidia, but since I have a card from the 4000 series I never wanna go back.
william
David_Pardy wrote:
Hey William - thanks heaps for the info.

I take this to mean that the 260, 275, 285 and 295 are higher end cards?

I'm trying to help my brother pick out a new card but I'm not really sure what to tell him to get Smile

That is correct. I would suggest that you also take a look at ATI's cards. Depending on your budget, they have some pretty good bang for the buck.
QrafTee
I would also recommend getting the ATI HD4870 or HD4890.
David_Pardy
Thanks for the advice on the 4890.

How is ATi's compatibility these days? I know I used to have trouble with my 9600 with quite a few games.

Mass Effect is one of the games he plays - any issues with ATi cards that you guys are aware of?
QrafTee
David_Pardy wrote:
Thanks for the advice on the 4890.

How is ATi's compatibility these days? I know I used to have trouble with my 9600 with quite a few games.

Mass Effect is one of the games he plays - any issues with ATi cards that you guys are aware of?

See for yourself: http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4890-review-test/13
David_Pardy
They only compare it to the Geforce 260.

I'd prefer to see how it compared to the 275, which I can get for a similar price to the 4890
blk3
I have to agree new naming conventions doesnt give much info on which is which.
achowles
Only the GTS 250 is directly comparable to the 9000 series. Unlike the 9000 and 8000 series, the GTX cards are more than just a re-badge (although the same can't be said of the GTS). That's why you won't find any direct comparisons between them - because the GTX cards completely outperform the 9000 series. That aside, they're easy enough to understand. The higher the number, the more powerful the card.
Donutey
It's a horrible mess, I suppose with a little googling you can find the equivalent card, but if you're just browsing for a card in your price range it's a pain. If you look at most of the gaming/hardware review sites at most price points ATI cards are a better deal right now.
william
Compatibility with ATI cards is fine these days. Most problems only seem to occur with Crossfire not supporting certain games, but if you are not planning on setting up multiple cards, you're fine. Often, ATI cards may be slower in some games than nVidia cards simply because the game could be designed to be optimized for nVidia. However, some games also favor ATI, but in the long run, you shouldn't have a problem with either. I haven't heard any problems with newer ATI cards and Mass Effect, performance between nVidia and ATI should be similar in that game.
David_Pardy
Well, at this point my next video card purchase is going to be on hold.

I'm going to save up and build myself a hardcore gaming machine in about a year's time, and building one then will be a bit easier than it is now. I'm hoping to be able to justify staying faithful to AMD (I love to support the underdog) but also to continue to use an nVidia card if it is better value for money. At the moment though, it's very difficult to get an AMD motherboard which supports SLI rather than Crossfire, but I'm hoping that will all change. There are a couple of these motherboards available now but they don't support DDR3 so I don't really have a market to read into.

I guess I'll just start keeping an eye on Guru3d and their reviews.
QrafTee
David_Pardy wrote:
Well, at this point my next video card purchase is going to be on hold.

I'm going to save up and build myself a hardcore gaming machine in about a year's time, and building one then will be a bit easier than it is now. I'm hoping to be able to justify staying faithful to AMD (I love to support the underdog) but also to continue to use an nVidia card if it is better value for money. At the moment though, it's very difficult to get an AMD motherboard which supports SLI rather than Crossfire, but I'm hoping that will all change. There are a couple of these motherboards available now but they don't support DDR3 so I don't really have a market to read into.

I guess I'll just start keeping an eye on Guru3d and their reviews.

Going with AMD won't hinder you at all. Their Phenom II series have been quite excellent and matches the higher priced Core i7 from Intel easily--until Intel releases an update to unleash the full capabilities of their Turbo Boost.

As for a GPU, I don't see why you won't go with ATI's offerings because they usually give you the best bang for the bucks. They're offering the latest technologies integrated into their video cards--which cannot be said about the upcoming nVidia offerings, but one can assume they'll release something later and beat their competitor's cards at the cost of your wallet.

I'm using an Intel Core2Extreme processor and ATI HD4870X2 GPU and I'm quite happy with it. My advice is not to go for the biggest flare, but one that will burn out the slowest.
achowles
william wrote:
Compatibility with ATI cards is fine these days. Most problems only seem to occur with Crossfire not supporting certain games, but if you are not planning on setting up multiple cards, you're fine. Often, ATI cards may be slower in some games than nVidia cards simply because the game could be designed to be optimized for nVidia. However, some games also favor ATI, but in the long run, you shouldn't have a problem with either. I haven't heard any problems with newer ATI cards and Mass Effect, performance between nVidia and ATI should be similar in that game.

Mostly when a game claims to support one card or another it's just that they're getting sponsored for showing that card's logo. Advertising, basically. And like most advertising it carries no weight in the real world. A game can claim to support nVidia and in fact run better on the equivalent ATI card.

The real issue here is drivers. ATIs drivers have been utterly terrible recently. So bad that I decided to switch to nVidia quite a while before I originally planned. It does mean that one old game doesn't run anymore, but the amount of games it has made run better/at all more than compensates.
QrafTee
achowles wrote:
Mostly when a game claims to support one card or another it's just that they're getting sponsored for showing that card's logo. Advertising, basically. And like most advertising it carries no weight in the real world. A game can claim to support nVidia and in fact run better on the equivalent ATI card.

The real issue here is drivers. ATIs drivers have been utterly terrible recently. So bad that I decided to switch to nVidia quite a while before I originally planned. It does mean that one old game doesn't run anymore, but the amount of games it has made run better/at all more than compensates.

Trust me when I say the nVidia logo for Crysis is more than just an advertisement that "carries no weight." It is definitely better suited for nVidia video cards because it was optimized for it and the associated drivers.
David_Pardy
I ignore the logos, but I do notice differences in performance. I'm also aware of people (including myself) having problems with the 9000 series of Radeons, whereas my brother with his FX 5600 had no trouble at all with the same games.

That's why I'm cautious...
QrafTee
David_Pardy wrote:
I ignore the logos, but I do notice differences in performance. I'm also aware of people (including myself) having problems with the 9000 series of Radeons, whereas my brother with his FX 5600 had no trouble at all with the same games.

That's why I'm cautious...

The ATI Radeon 9000 series is the past, the ATI Radeon HD4800 series is the present, and the HD5800 series is the future. Don't let the past hinder your future.

As for nVidia, their track record doesn't fair that much better. Their odd-numbered series are disappointing, but their even-numbered series are usually good.
David_Pardy
I'm aware of that, but I've just been cautious about buying ATI products since then, and at the times when I've upgraded it's just been coincidental that nVidia were the better choice.

I will keep my options open for sure, but this upgrade won't happen until this time next year anyway so who knows what my choice will be then.

That being said, I am grateful that ATI is once more a reliable option - although I will be buying for value for money of course.
william
QrafTee wrote:
achowles wrote:

Trust me when I say the nVidia logo for Crysis is more than just an advertisement that "carries no weight." It is definitely better suited for nVidia video cards because it was optimized for it and the associated drivers.

Yeah, huge difference when comparing nVidia and ATI cards with Crysis, and many other games as well. ATI drivers have had some issues, but there have been fixes, and as of now, most problems are minute.

@David_Pardy

The older ATI cards certainly did have some issues (althouh, with my experience with the nVidia FX series, I would have gone ATI instead), but today, the HD3000 and HD4000 series are top notch. Certainly within the next year, things can all change, but right now, both companies are pumping out great and competitive products. Very Happy A win for the consumer.
Starrfoxx
I have to agree on the ATI cards. My wife has an ATI card HD4850 which does much better than my Nvidia 8600 overclocked card. But then again, her's is a 512mb card while mine is only 256mb.

This is a good thread, because I"ve been wondering myself what is up with the different naming scheme of Nvidia cards. It'll probably be awhile before I get another card, because my 8600 seems to do everything that I need for now.
coreymanshack
You should know the specs of your card, then compare it with the specs of the newer cards.

It's not that difficult.
pscompanies
The naming convention has gone to hell...

Typically Ultra > GTX > GTS > GT > GS

Then there's the numbering thing, 8800 vs 8600...

But, the 8800 GT outperforms the 640/320MB GTS but not the 512MB GTS, so then you could get a Ultra > GTX > GT > GTS > GS.

It's a total mess really and you really have to know what you're buying.

Of course the rebadging has further complicated matters. The best is to use notebookreview or some other similar website to check benchmarks (3DMark, common games).
QrafTee
pscompanies wrote:
The naming convention has gone to hell...

Typically Ultra > GTX > GTS > GT > GS

Then there's the numbering thing, 8800 vs 8600...

But, the 8800 GT outperforms the 640/320MB GTS but not the 512MB GTS, so then you could get a Ultra > GTX > GT > GTS > GS.

It's a total mess really and you really have to know what you're buying.

Of course the rebadging has further complicated matters. The best is to use notebookreview or some other similar website to check benchmarks (3DMark, common games).

Haha, yeah it was definitely a mess when the GT cards got the better memory revision and people were confused and did not know which GT cards were better than the GTS cards.

Anyway, I think it should pan out next year when the next set of cards come out and nVidia sticks to the 3-digit number scheme.
David_Pardy
pscompanies - you are aware I was asking about their NEW naming scheme? Razz
weableandbob
It confuses me as well. Luckily I have an ATI card at the moment =P
coreymanshack
weableandbob wrote:
It confuses me as well. Luckily I have an ATI card at the moment =P

ATI is more than likely going to switch their naming scheme too when they get into the 10k's