FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mac OSX v10.6 (Snow Leopard)

pscompanies
Quote:
Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" is an Apple operating system which is to succeed version 10.5 "Leopard". Apple's senior vice president for worldwide marketing, Phil Schiller, announced Snow Leopard at WWDC on 8 June 2008. Snow Leopard will ship in September 2009 and an upgrade will be available for existing Leopard users for $29, or up to five computers with the family pack at $49. Tiger users may upgrade by purchasing the Mac Box Set, a single package which will include Snow Leopard, iLife '09, and iWork '09.

The update to Mac OS X will focus on improving performance, efficiency and reducing its overall memory footprint, rather than new end-user features. This will also be the first Mac OS release since System 7.1.2 not to support the PowerPC architecture as Apple now intends to focus on its current line of Intel-based products. Developer previews have been seeded to developers.

Apple states the following basic Snow Leopard system requirements, although, for some specific applications such as QuickTime H.264 hardware acceleration support and OpenCL, a supported GPU processor is required (Nvidia 8600M GT or greater):[2]

* Mac computer with an Intel processor (IA32 processors such as "Core Solo" and "Core Duo" will be limited to 32-bit; later x86-64 architecture processors will be able to operate in 64-bit mode)
* 1 GB of RAM
* 5 GB of free disk space
* DVD drive (also accessible via Remote Disc) or external USB or Firewire hard disk drive for installation

Snow Leopard does not support PowerPC-based Macs (e.g., Power Macs, PowerBooks, iBooks, iMacs (G3-G5), eMacs and Mac minis made before 2006).

What do you think?
aningbo
pscompanies wrote:
Quote:
Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" is an Apple operating system which is to succeed version 10.5 "Leopard". Apple's senior vice president for worldwide marketing, Phil Schiller, announced Snow Leopard at WWDC on 8 June 2008. Snow Leopard will ship in September 2009 and an upgrade will be available for existing Leopard users for $29, or up to five computers with the family pack at $49. Tiger users may upgrade by purchasing the Mac Box Set, a single package which will include Snow Leopard, iLife '09, and iWork '09.

The update to Mac OS X will focus on improving performance, efficiency and reducing its overall memory footprint, rather than new end-user features. This will also be the first Mac OS release since System 7.1.2 not to support the PowerPC architecture as Apple now intends to focus on its current line of Intel-based products. Developer previews have been seeded to developers.

Apple states the following basic Snow Leopard system requirements, although, for some specific applications such as QuickTime H.264 hardware acceleration support and OpenCL, a supported GPU processor is required (Nvidia 8600M GT or greater):[2]

* Mac computer with an Intel processor (IA32 processors such as "Core Solo" and "Core Duo" will be limited to 32-bit; later x86-64 architecture processors will be able to operate in 64-bit mode)
* 1 GB of RAM
* 5 GB of free disk space
* DVD drive (also accessible via Remote Disc) or external USB or Firewire hard disk drive for installation

Snow Leopard does not support PowerPC-based Macs (e.g., Power Macs, PowerBooks, iBooks, iMacs (G3-G5), eMacs and Mac minis made before 2006).

What do you think?

i once tried installing mac osx in core2duo system.

had some problwm with it. download the copy from some torrents... good experience all in all
andrewsteinborn
Good luck for my old Macs, Snow Leopard isn't going to cut it Boo hoo! Brick wall

This might be a pick for my laptop Very Happy
Star Wars Fanatic
I'll be picking it up. At $29 upgrade, it's almost silly not to.

I haven't pre-ordered it, but I'll get it when it comes out.
Spiritfall
Yeah .. that's cool Wink
Ankhanu
I look forward to 10.6. It's supposed to have less front end additions (10.5 was mostly user interface upgrades) and be more focused on improving system efficiency. As SWFan mentioned, Apple upgrades don't cost an arm and a leg, and tend to be worth while. If you're running a system capable of running the pgrade, unless they really screw things up, it'll only make it operate more smoothly.

FYI - 10.6 IS OSX (OSX = MacOS version 10)
apptastic
i am ready for snow leopard... for $29 upgrade to get all the Microsoft exchange server support is awesome
lexqqq
i will install it on my PC Smile
can not wait, OS X is absolutely best operating system on the world
Radar
Pre-ordered it already. Waiting for Friday, and then it's the interesting time of seeing whether I decide to wait for other people to test it first, or whether I just give up and go for it.

Strangely, I think I'm a little annoyed, because it means I'm going to have to re-install my Python libraries, MySQL, re-setup PHP, and the general machine as a webserver again. And if Apple have changed something that affects one of the more delicate Python libraries, it could be a while before I'm able to develop one of my programs on that computer again.

I'm thinking of maybe installing it on my laptop first.
jackill
Apple should consider release MacOS to all x86 platform computers. It would be good oposition for MS and Unix-based operating systems.
Ankhanu
jackill wrote:
Apple should consider release MacOS to all x86 platform computers. It would be good oposition for MS and Unix-based operating systems.

MacOS is a Unix-based OS.
Aside from that, part of what makes MacOS so wonderfully stable is the lack of hardware options. The strength and downfall of MS and Linux is that they're designed to work with an infinite combination of different hardware setups. The flexibility means that they'll run on almost any machine... the downfall is that that flexibility comes at the cost of stability, efficiency and even then, not all hardware is supported (driver issues?). The Apple designers get to work with a small set of hardware, so building a stable OS is much easier, as they don't have to contend with so many possible configurations; classically they build their own hardware, and the OS to work with it. This has changed *slightly* with the Intel systems, but the idea is the same; set hardware configurations, fewer programming options, less conflicting code, more stable.

You get the same sort of thing with some of the less popular (on the consumer market) companies, like Sun.
Radar
I now have a copy of it that I could install, but I'm going to wait an hour or so - the time it takes me to get home from work.

Hopefully no more than an hour.
Alaskacameradude
I got it for $9.95 cause I bought a new Mac in July and they have the up to date program. I probably
won't install it right away as I don't want to mess up Final Cut Pro, need to wait for all that to be
sorted out, but I'm buying it now as I only have 90 days from the time I bought my computer at
that price. After everything is all sorted out and compatible, I will install it.
aningbo
m buying a macbook pro next week and it will come pre installed Smile

lets see how it goes with the new OS. m excited.

never use mac before@!
aningbo
i finally own one. its been a greatest experience so far. i missed the good old drive partitions..

everyone who's gonna spend about $1000 USD then you must opt for macbook pro. its worth every penny.

you are being stupid if u buy a laptop which is more than $1000 USD and not a macbook pro.

i have used windows for over 8 years now and no regrets. its just awesome. dont go for macbook though.