FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PHP can be run on Microsoft Windows IIS ???

pollux1er
Can PHP be run on Microsoft Windows IIS?? If yes how to make it possible?
coreymanshack
pollux1er wrote:
Can PHP be run on Microsoft Windows IIS?? If yes how to make it possible?

I'm not sure, but I do know it can be run on apache with little or no effort.
sonam
I am not sure are PHP work with IIS but if you don't like apache maybe you can try KFWS server. It is win server and it is quite simple to install and get to work. I am using it for testing last few years without any problem.

http://www.keyfocus.net/kfws/

Sonam
Xaferrow
no. as i know, IIS is just for asp

if you want to run php scripts, you can install apache server. One of my favourite is xampp

get it here http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html Wink
the zephyrus
Strange. Last time I tried to install php, I remember reading directions for use with IIS.

Google turns up: http://php.iis.net/
Apparently, they thought it important enough to provide a site for it.
Hogwarts
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=inurl%3Aphpsessid%20site%3Amicrosoft.com

Given that Microsoft uses it for several of their own pages, and I'm sure they're using IIS, I'm 100% positive that it does Razz
rockacola
Short answer: Yes, you can run PHP on IIS
coreymanshack
What are the advantages of using IIS
rockacola
coreymanshack wrote:

IIS come natively with Windows and has graphical interface and easy to work with Access which is also graphical interface.

Where as Apache+MySQL+PHP require seperate installation and configuration and uses command line interface. But AMP now easier thanks to various of AMP package that allow you to install them 'easier'
Xaferrow
Whoa, i just know that php can be at iis Surprised great info guys!
coreymanshack
rockacola wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:

IIS come natively with Windows and has graphical interface and easy to work with Access which is also graphical interface.

Where as Apache+MySQL+PHP require seperate installation and configuration and uses command line interface. But AMP now easier thanks to various of AMP package that allow you to install them 'easier'

where would i find IIS on windows. I've never seen it. That or access.. you have to buy access.
rvec
you have to enable IIS but I think itś installed on at least xp and 2k. I'm on linux now, but I think it was on the same place where you can install/uninstall programs, but on a different tab.
coreymanshack
rvec wrote:
you have to enable IIS but I think itś installed on at least xp and 2k. I'm on linux now, but I think it was on the same place where you can install/uninstall programs, but on a different tab.

Yea, I went back to microsoft because linux has no support for ventrillo atm Sad
Hogwarts
coreymanshack wrote:
Yea, I went back to microsoft because linux has no support for ventrillo atm Sad

You mean ventrilo has no support for linux.
rockacola
coreymanshack wrote:
rockacola wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:

where would i find IIS on windows. I've never seen it. That or access.. you have to buy access.

First try to find out if IIS is already installed in your Windows (assuming XP):
Start > Setting > Control Panel > Administrative Tools
See if you can find 'Internet Information Services' in 'Administrative Tools' folder.

If not, then install by:
Start > Setting > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > 'Add/Remove Windows Components'
Find 'Internet Information Services (IIS)' in the components list, tick it and click 'Next>' to start installation. You will require windows CD or i386 folder to install.
aningbo
why all the trouble going through those?

just install XAMPP and you are ready to go in less than 2 minutes.

provided XAMPP is already downloaded and installed. it is about 35MB if i'm not mistaken.
coreymanshack
Hogwarts wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:

You mean ventrilo has no support for linux.

yes i ment that, but...

linux doesn't support a lot of hardware, like a webcam i bought,

linux doesn't support this... not the otherway aroud
Hogwarts
coreymanshack wrote:
yes i ment that, but...

... and fairly taking this perspective, I can say that Windows doesn't support nVidia graphics cards.

Until you install the driver written by a third party.

No, quite literally, your logic is stupid. The hardware doesn't have drivers which support Linux, not the otherway around.
coreymanshack
Hogwarts wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
yes i ment that, but...

... and fairly taking this perspective, I can say that Windows doesn't support nVidia graphics cards.

No, quite literally, your logic is stupid. The hardware doesn't have drivers which support Linux, not the otherway around.

windows way of making hardware 'work' is different than linux..what is this?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/
albuferque
Of course it is possible to do, there are a lot of articles that explain how it is done:

http://php.iis.net/
Hogwarts
coreymanshack wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
yes i ment that, but...

windows way of making hardware 'work' is different than linux..what is this?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/

Because I doubt that you'll understand anything at all more elaborate or even slightly more complicated, I'll try to put this in the simplest possible analogy I can.

If I write a program, which I include support for both FreeBSD and Linux, but not Windows, is it that Windows doesn't support the program? No. It is my program that does not support their platforms. Is it any different for hardware? (Here's a hint: no)

And yes, Linux treats hardware differently, what a surprise! Because if Linux was the same as Windows, that would make it Windows. Whilst this may come as news to you, Linux is not Windows.
rvec
-close-
answer is already given and topic is derailing.