FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Where can I find a real small dog?

Kashinilaya
I saw a picture of a dog that was less than twenty centimeters long. Real cute! I found out in Google that some dogs of that race don't grow much, but it seems that it is not guaranteed that the animal will remain small. I don't know the name of the race in English. In Portuguese is "MATΚS". The Google search didn't help me much to find people who would sell them (it's taking too long to find relevant sites). I would like to buy one for my kids.

I would appreciate if anybody could help.

Thanks.
ponda
I think the breed you are talking about is a Maltese or Malteese, I think that's how it's written...If you want it very small, you have to look for a "Maltese Toy", toy means a dog is small and playful, appropriate for kids...etc. Google it and see if that's it.
scallywag
Yes, as ponda said, the dog you saw was a Maltese. You can see more about them on the American Kennel Club website: http://www.akc.org/breeds/maltese/

If you are going to get one, I would highly recommend looking at Petfinder.com first, and checking around at local shelters. About 25% of shelter dogs are purebred, and there are many rescue groups that specialize in small breeds and can sometimes find a dog suitable for your family.

If you are going to buy one, please never buy from a pet store! Almost all pet store puppies come from puppy mills, where dogs live in squalor and are bred repeatedly until they are worthless, and then are usually killed inhumanely or abandoned. Puppies bought from pet stores are ofter very sick, mentally handicapped and do not live full and normal lives. They can end up costing thousands of dollars in vet fees and endless amounts of heartache. You can see more about puppy mills at the Humane Society of the United State's website: http://stoppuppymills.org/

Your best best is to find out if there is a Maltese fancier group in the area, or google local breeders. Then prepare yourself, by reading up on how to choose a responsible breeder (google 'how to find a responsible/reputable/good breeder) and read pages like this: http://www.canismajor.com/dog/responbr.html

Good luck in your search!
wellerchap
Why not buy a very big dog, but keep it at the end of the garden, thus giving the appearance of a small dog, when viewed from the house?
There's a way around every problem, see?!!
Confused
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
Why not buy a very big dog, but keep it at the end of the garden, thus giving the appearance of a small dog, when viewed from the house?
There's a way around every problem, see?!!
Confused
Laughing Laughing Laughing Maybe use a helicopter, or do satellite viewing, i.e. through Google!

Sorry Kashinilaya, this is just typical sense of humour. I don't know whether this will be helpful, but I found a toy puppy website below:
http://www.toypuppies.com/

I must say I'm quite crazy about yorkies (below). They have to be toy puppies, they are really very cute, I also like the Bichon Frise Smile
nigam
isn't it chihuahua is the smallest dog? don't know if that is the correct spelling....
furtasacra
Why would you want a tiny little rat dog that you can accidentally kill by putting your foot down wrong when it's frisking around your ankles?

I know five people who have had to have a wee tiny dog put to sleep, because somebody stepped on it (presumably by accident) and smooshed it
deanhills
furtasacra wrote:
Why would you want a tiny little rat dog that you can accidentally kill by putting your foot down wrong when it's frisking around your ankles?

I know five people who have had to have a wee tiny dog put to sleep, because somebody stepped on it (presumably by accident) and smooshed it
Well, I guess one can fall over a big dog and do it harm too? Small dogs do take up less space though, and they are cute. I guess one just has to make sure they are safe all the time. Out of harm's way. Smile
wellerchap
Yes, there's a lot to be said for smaller dogs.*

One standard can of food lasts a whole month
It doesn't need it's own seat on a bus
When dirty, simply slip it in the washing machine (can't get Alsatians in there; I tried) Shocked
When taped to a stick of rhubarb they make a perfect loofah for the bath.

* Some of these may not be strictly true....please ask at your local kennel club if clarification is needed.
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
Yes, there's a lot to be said for smaller dogs.*

One standard can of food lasts a whole month
It doesn't need it's own seat on a bus
When dirty, simply slip it in the washing machine (can't get Alsatians in there; I tried) Shocked
When taped to a stick of rhubarb they make a perfect loofah for the bath.

* Some of these may not be strictly true....please ask at your local kennel club if clarification is needed.
Laughing Laughing Laughing They also look cute as fashion accessories. Did you see the movie with Reese Weatherspoon "Legally blonde"?
[/url]
Crazy_Canuck
When buying small dogs beware. To get these dogs very small there may be alot of inbreeding going on. And when that happens any defects in the dogs used are magnified. So these cute little dogs may have very severe health problems. Do your homework and check out the place you are buying your puppy from.
deanhills
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
When buying small dogs beware. To get these dogs very small there may be alot of inbreeding going on. And when that happens any defects in the dogs used are magnified. So these cute little dogs may have very severe health problems. Do your homework and check out the place you are buying your puppy from.
Good point. Feels almost inhumane to a certain extent. Some of them are quite cute however. Adorable in fact. Must say however, my preference is for something slightly more solid and medium-sized. Great Danes are a bit too big for me. Golden retrievers are great. I would tend to get to the SPCA and check out what they have. Some of the dogs I loved the best have been ones that came from the SPCA. We only had one that did not work out, and must have been badly treated before he got to the SPCA. He was a fox terrier, slightly mixed blood, but became overly protective of its adopted family, so started attacking those who visited us. Fox terriers are generally quite mischievious anyway. I think they have a greater inclination to want to chew through shoes and tear pajamas. They also need lots of attention, and plenty of walks to get rid of all their pent up energy.
Crazy_Canuck
I agree deanhills, I like Goldens too. They are happy go lucky dogs with great big hearts and lots of love! They make great pets for children too. I have never met a golden I didn't fall in love with.
wellerchap
Not a small dog I know, but my wife (back then my girlfriend) had a Boxer.....absolutely fantastic with people, a great character & always very loyal.
If you can cope with the slobber off their mouths at the first sight of food Rolling Eyes they make a perfect pet.
Just one thing though.....HE took US for walks, not vice versa.....they're strong dogs!
Kashinilaya
Thank you all guys and sorry it took me that long to come back. I learned a lot here about these dogs and now I have to do an aditional search.

And, by the way, the jokes were great Very Happy
joelrocha123
If anyone wants a dog, it is best to get it at the pound. There can be great dogs there in need of a home, at great prices.
subirbasak

Why can't you buy a English Cocker Spaniel?
The English Cocker Spaniel is a breed of gun dog. The English Cocker Spaniel is an active, good-natured, sporting dog, standing well up at the withers and compactly built. There are "field" or "working" cockers and "show" cockers. It is one of several varieties of spaniel and somewhat resembles its American cousin, the American Cocker Spaniel, although it is closer to the working-dog form of the Field Spaniel and the Springer Spaniel. Outside the US, the breed is usually known simply as the Cocker Spaniel, as is the American Cocker Spaniel within the US. Due to the breed's happy disposition and continuously wagging tail, it has been given the cute nickname "merry cocker". They can be also dominant and loyal to their companion. Their health issues are typical for a purebred dog breed; however they are closely associated with rage syndrome even though cases are relatively rare. The word cocker is commonly held to stem from their use to hunt woodcock.
Cliffer
how small you want? what's the type?