FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Replace/repair laptop fan?

Peterssidan
I have a laptop (Acer TravelMate 8204 WLMi) and the fan has started to sound bad. I cleaned the fan and it's sounds a bit better because it can run at a lower speed but it still sounds in a way that it should not.

If it's possible I want to repair my fan by myself but I don't really believe it's possible.

I have no idea where I can buy a new fan that fits. Stupid laptops! Sad Does someone know where I can get a new fan?

Or is there other solutions to force the hot air out of my computer?

I can still use the fan but I'm afraid it will get worse. And at some point I will stand there without cooling or a way too noisy fan if I don't do anything :s
coreymanshack
Peterssidan wrote:
I have a laptop (Acer TravelMate 8204 WLMi) and the fan has started to sound bad. I cleaned the fan and it's sounds a bit better because it can run at a lower speed but it still sounds in a way that it should not.

If it's possible I want to repair my fan by myself but I don't really believe it's possible.

I have no idea where I can buy a new fan that fits. Stupid laptops! Sad Does someone know where I can get a new fan?

Or is there other solutions to force the hot air out of my computer?

I can still use the fan but I'm afraid it will get worse. And at some point I will stand there without cooling or a way too noisy fan if I don't do anything :s

Hum, did you check your manufactures website for spare parts or contact anyone that works there?
Pepperfan
Peterssidan ,

coreymanshack is correct get it from Acer if you can. They may tell you that it is not a user replaceable item though. If that is the case as how much they would charge to fix it. Be careful though most laptop repairs can end up being a replacement or they end up formatting your hard drive whether it needs it or not. I have sent in 20 plus laptops in my career and I now put masking tape liberally over all flat surfaces except the screen and write "do not format" on it. That usually works.

BTW there are laptop rests that have fans built into them you could try also.

Charles
noah
I'd take the fan out and run with that and see if it works. If not do a google search for any numbers on the fan. If that fails get out a multi-meter and figure out the volts and amps and try to find a fan that can run on that that will fit. I'd even super glue it in there.
the zephyrus
Definitely look it up with the manufacturer. They do strange things to get everything to fit together, and you need to get the exact replacement most likely.

Running without a fan is probably asking for it.
coreymanshack
the zephyrus wrote:
Definitely look it up with the manufacturer. They do strange things to get everything to fit together, and you need to get the exact replacement most likely.

Running without a fan is probably asking for it.

If you run without a fan you are likely to burn up your processor seeing as this is an old laptop the processor might not have protection features.
defecto
Its easy to replace... Look at fry's electronics.. you could find one there.. or if you could find the same one on ebay. some times people put broken puters on there for spare parts. I m sure you could find a compatible one easy..